“A Special Evening” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Al Paradiso

Al Paradiso
Sestiere San Polo, 767 | near the Rialto Bridge, 30125 Venice, Italy (San Polo)
041 5234910
Neighborhood: San Polo
Massachusetts
“A Special Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

When we arrived in Venice, we asked our concierge for a recommendation for dinner and he recommended Al Paridiso. Unfortunately, when he called they were totally booked, so we opted to go the following Tuesday. By then, the weekend crowds were gone and when we arrived at the restaurant we were only ones there. We were greeted by the owner, a very charming and endearing gentleman. He took care of us all evening. The restaurant was very warm and inviting. The service was wonderful. We felt like we were dining in someone’s home. When we asked for a wine recommendation, he told us they had a house wine that was pretty good, but if we didn’t like it we could have something else. It was very good. Then we were encouraged by our waiter (the owner) to share our appetizer and pasta courses. We had the spider crab and the pasta with clams. It was obvious when he served our food that he was very proud of what he was serving. We had the turbot for 2 as an entrée and it was so fresh and simply prepared. They served an assortment of rolls, and one type was spectacular—fresh from the oven baked with olives. When he noticed that we liked them, he brought more, even though we still had the rest of the bread basket that we hadn’t eaten. He knew we were too full for dessert—so he brought us each a glass of red dessert wine and a plate of cookies. After we had paid the bill, and he saw my husband getting some cash from his wallet, he came right over and gestured for my husband to put his wallet away, that the service was already included—but my husband wanted to leave an extra tip because the service was so above and beyond. I don’t remember that ever happening to us anywhere. The whole evening was just so lovely. I wanted to hug him when we left. We both agreed that this was the most enjoyable dining experience of the more than a dozen restaurants we visited in Venice. Can’t wait to return.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
Miami, Florida
“Good Food Friendly Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Had a great diner here. Sent from the Westin, and they where right. Diner was cozy and quite. The owner/manager was making sure all tables where taken care off. It is small, and out of the main streets, but this is what makes it special. Not sure if I would say the best in Venice, but I will say that I thought it gave me value, special night, and good wine.

Yes I will go back

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Enjoyed. Not sure if I will return, but worth the trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I ate here on my first night in Venice. I thought it was good, but it was my first restaurant and any restaurant your first night in Venice is going to seem amazing so I couldn't gage entirely. The food was for sure good though, the service was very good, and the atmosphere was really cute. Having already been there, I likely will not return as I like to try new places but I am glad I ate there.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best italian restaurant in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Excellent!!!! Perfect service, delicious fish or sea food. Great moment in a so romantic and gastronomic atmosphere.

south woodham
“good food, overpriced and small quantity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

visited for my birthday special meal last monday evening with my wife having trawled through many TA restaurant reports and this one coming out the best that i had seen and location close to rialto bridge where we were staying. a very small restaurant with probably about 8 tables, 4 were taken including ours. we had 3 courses off the a la carte menu and a couple of drinks with a bill totalling an excessive 157 euros. my wifes starter of scallops at 16 euros comprised just TWO scallops and i ordered mussels, expecting a large dish in the shell but they were out of shell and no more than 12 or so mussels - think they were the same price.

for main, my wife ordered lamb chops - the best lamp chops she had ever tasted, 3 in total - which came with a few baby potatoes. i ordered a john dory fillet which was small and came with no potatoes but only a few strands of thin mushroom and i think, beetroot. she gave me half of her potatoes to fill out my plate.

sweets were again very small. the only decent quantity we had, was her whisky being self poured by the owner - at least a treble measure each time.. service was attentive but very fast - as soon as the plates were finished they were whisked away - we had to tell the waitress to slow down between courses. it was not as if they were busy.

after the owner asked another lady diner if her meal was ok, she replied that it was very good but was not happy with the small quantity of spaghetti on her main dish. the owner insisted on bringing her some more although she had finished by which time it was too late. they did book again for a lunch a couple of days later so not sure if the owner was going to give them some sort of a deal as otherwise sure they would not go back again. if the quantities were considerably greater, then the price paid would have been more bearable but i can't help thinking the owner was captialising on the good reviews given by diners on here. later in the week we visited the very small OSTERIA BEA VITA in Cannaregio for lunch on a small canal off of the main tourist area and enjoyed a very filling 3 course set meal for 2 with a couple of beers for 38 euros - set meal 13 euros each/ highly recommend and it features in easyjet listings for venice as well as having good reviews on here. .

• Visited February 2013