“Great hotel, a little far when walking back at night” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #72 of 382 hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Great hotel, a little far when walking back at night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel itself is quite clean and and modern.
My partner and I stayed here for three nights and found our stay to be quite relaxing, with a nice range for breakfast.
Its about 20 minutes walk to get to the heart of venice, the walk during the day is beautiful with with wonderful views and parks.
The only downside would be walking back at night, as the area around the hotel is not well illuminated and seem too quite when leaving the busy st marco square.
However if you are catching a water taxi back to the hotel this wouldn't really be a problem as the stop is only a two/three minute walk from the hotel.

993 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Our 3 night stay at the Sant Elena was part of a BA package and this previous convent was certainly 'converted' into a rather pleasant hotel, however, although probably much quieter than those in central Venice it is rather out on a limb. There are varying times given to the centre with the hotel literature mentioning a 'stone's throw' and others a 15 minute walk - I think that would need to be a pretty big catapult and some extremely serious power walking! We didn't get to do the walk (the weather was atrocious) but would estimate at least 40 - 50 minutes at a fairly brisk pace and the 5 minute vaporetto ride somewhat nearer 10 - 15 minutes - so much for actual location.

The room was very nice, judging from the notice in the room we were in a Junior Suite with a very comfortable large bed, perfectly adequate bed covers and some seriously comfortable (polyester!) pillows. The room had everything required, with leather sofa, coffee table, controlable air-con TV and free Wi-fi. The only surprising let down was that whoever serviced the room seemed to forget to top up the tea/coffee/sugar for the two days we were there necessitating a trip to Reception to collect. UK tea drinkers beware, you will need to ask for milk jiggers as none provided in the room.

Reception staff were all very helpful as were the waiters in the Valentine's Restaurant. Because the weather was so poor for the time we were in Venice this time we opted to 'eat in' for two of our three nights. We were told that it got very busy and we were advised to book but on the two nights we ate there were no more than ten people and that included the two of us - maybe the rain kept people away! The food, seriously good but like many other Venice 'eateries' not cheap - we calculated that our two nights in cost us with a very reasonably priced bottle of wine and not three courses close on £75.00 each night - that said our third meal at a not overly 'posh' restaurant in Venice away from the touristy bits was close on £65.00 and that was with just a half litre carafe of house wine.

One other point the hotel brochure says that the rooms 'look out over unusual and evocative views' - sadly there appears to be rather high degree of poetic licence here, our's looked out on a rather scruffy building next door and even craning one's neck, there was only a rather run down looking basketball (?) court and a sliver of canal and our room had 3 windows! We couldn't quite work out where the unusual and evocative views could be from any of the hotel windows as it just wasn't in that sort of location.

Would we stay there again - yes, certainly from the quiet location and comfort point of view but in terms of easy access to central Venice not quite so sure.

Room Tip: Pretty quiet, mostly residential area so probably most rooms are fairly quiet - certainly no traffic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was our 4th trip to Venice and 3rd stay at Sant Elena. The staff are very polite and helpful as always. Room overlooked the garden as per our previous stays and was clean, tidy and comfortable.
The breakfast is outstanding and sets you up for the day.
We will always stay here as it is so peaceful and a very comfortable stay.
Well done to Sant Elena and all the staff you passed with honours again and we will be back.

Room Tip: Always ask for a garden view and be woken by the Italian national anthem at the military base behind...
Todmorden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband booked a surprise holiday to Venice after he proposed to me. Yes, I'm a very lucky lady. We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and stayed in the penthouse. It is a gorgeous hotel (you must look at my photos) and the service is just fantastic.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aarschot, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We've visited this hotel during carnevale in Venice.
Not in the center of town but very easy to reach by vaporeto (3-4 stops to San Marco) in 10-15 minutes and about 40 minutes walk.
Very quiet enviroment close by the very busy center.
The people and staff were very friendly and the rooms are quiet spacious and very clean.
The hotel has a very good restaurant if you want to stay there in the evening and breakfast very good.
All considered a very good price/quality hotel.

Libertyville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have stayed here twice now and would recommend it. It is clean, modern, and comfortable. Having breakfast included with a fresh cappuccino makes a great start to the morning. Our room was very clean with a wonderful view of the courtyard. It is a short walking distance to catch a vaporetto. This location offers the quieter side of Venice, which is a nice treat during the carnivale season.
I will return for another stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Liège
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was not my first stay in Venice at all - far from it. But it was my first stay in that hotel.

Arrived there and checked in in the early pm. It went smoothly and the member of staff in charge at that time was very friendly and helpful indeed. I had access to my room directly.

My single room on the first floor of the hotel was very nice indeed. It could have been a bit larger but is very good value for money. The (separate) bathroom is OK and you get lots of luxury beauty products on a daily basis. The pieces of furniture are very modern and quite posh. There is a minibar, which can be very convenient. There is also a safe, which I didn't use but which is worth mentioning. The TV was OK and I could even follow the news from home in French via TV5.

The place id very peaceful indeed. Going to Piazza San Marco on foot took me between 15 and 20 minutes, which is not that much. I decided to walk the distance every day (my stay was seven days) since there is a lot to see just walking on the streets. But with the local vaporetto, I think San Marco Square is just four stops away. The localion is undoubtedly an asset - very close to the city centre without the noise day and night.

Breakfast was included and it was very large indeed - American breakfast, English breakfast or Italian breakfast are possible. Very good value for money. Lots of typical Italian cakes for example, which all tasted wonderfully. Breakfast can be taken from 7 to 11. The breakfast room is pretty large - and a bit impersonal.

You get the international press (Herald Tribune) for free daily, which is always nice. I didn' t have my computer with me so I couldn't test the WIFI. But I could use a computer in the lobby for as long as I liked 24 hours a day.

The atmosphere there must be very nice in the Summer too - just a few minutes walk to the Biennale. My stay took place during the Carnival week and I am glad I didn't stay in the centre but a little bit in the outskirts of tha great City. I would recommand the place and would probably go there on a future trip to Venice...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Premier Hotel Sant' Elena? Share your experiences!