“Fantastic food, let down by very poor service.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Caffe Centrale

Caffe Centrale
S.Marco, 1659/b, 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)
+39 041 887 6642
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
London
“Fantastic food, let down by very poor service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We visited Caffe Centrale on our last night in Venice.

The place is a little tricky to find, but the internal décor is lovely. The atmosphere is superb, with a packed out, bustling restaurant and lounge area.

Unfortunately the restaurant was fully booked but we were seated in the Lounge area on a Saturday night.

We waited a long time for our initial service and unfortunately this was the theme for the remainder of the evening. For a meal comprising two drinks and a main course, we were seated for approaching two hours! At several points in the evening we were tempted to walk out and pay what remaining bill we had racked up.

I can't deny though that the food was absolutely fantastic, the selection of breads and main courses of beef three-ways and filet beef potato gratin were delicious, the drinks are actually quite reasonably priced and on the basis of the food alone we would certainly return, but the service was a real let down and fell well short of the quality of the food. I'd have probably given this five stars had the service been better but it really did taint the experience.

I don't think it was the result of the waiting staffs inefficiency, I think it was more the fault of the management in not having enough staff for an extremely busy and obviously popular restaurant. The service may be better in the restaurant portion but I can't comment on that.

If you have plenty of time and can overlook crap service for very good food, I'd certainly recommend Caffe Centrale, otherwise give it a miss!

• Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Surprise birthday trip with my lovely boyfriend!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I was taken on a surprise holiday for my birthday, having watched a film 'The Tourist', Venice attracted our attention. We had a lovely time, plenty of delicious food and lots of cocktails!!

I chose this restaurant for my birthday meal (on my birthday). It was perfect. The meal was delicious and the service was very friendly.

bali
“Dessert was served before the entree so we ate it... Wrongg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Trendoid place, artistic music videos on the wall, without subtitles saying who was playing. They brought spoons after the first course, then dessert. So we ate it. New trend? Then they came asking if we had eaten our entrees. Seems its not a new trend. It was just a computer error. The foie gras in the potatoe foam was as good as anything, ever. If the limoncello had have been cold, it would have been an unusual experience as it is they probably should bring a good old Italian restaurant papa to make everything work. I would go back for the food, although it is not at all Italian and I'd make sure, I got my entree before my dessert! First time this ever happened.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“very modern look at italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This restaurant is very modern from the food to decor. They take a spin on traditional Italian dishes and make them modern and innovative. For example they had "foam" potatos with a squid in ink sauce, a traditional Venetian dish, but be warn it is very fishy. I had steak bites with mousse potatos, which was delicilous! We also shared a tiramisu that came in three parts, creating a new take on the dish. Overall the food was very good, and a change on traditional dishes. I have only two bad comments, the first is that the service was very slow and they were rude. We came without a reservation and asked for a table, they were very displeased that we did not have a reservation. They told us to come back in a half an hour, when we came back they told us there was a table, but it was actually in the lounge area. While the food was very good, I would have a reservation. Also I would not come here if you are in a hurry and looking for a quick dinner. Also it is a little tricky to locate just as a warning.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Norwich
“Magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Having read reviews booked ahead and was not disappointed. Looking for somewhere different for a special meal with the new man in my life this was certainly the place. Took a bit of finding but well worth the effort. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere wonderful. Couple of pointers - do check your bill; they made a mistake on mine charging me for 3 half-bottles of a decent Chianti Constagliano instead of 2 (very apologetic for their mistake) and take a torch to the loos as the decor, whilst extremely stylish, is very dark!

• Visited March 2013