“Beware the bad rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Auckland
“Beware the bad rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We stayed at the Ruzzini Palace for 2 nights as part of our honeymoon. Booked online through a website for a prepaid deal, paying about EUR235 a night.
The good bits first. Location is excellent, 5 minute walk from everything. Erm, thats about it.
The not so good bits: this might just have been the room we were given as we had prepaid and so couldnt change but here are some things to be aware of.
When is the last time you had a 4* hotel room without a shower? Nice bath, but when I asked about the shower, was informed that only the junior suites had those! They have a hand held thing, buts its so short and the ceiling so low, you have to squat in the bath to use it.
Air conditioning. The evenings and nights were warm but not hot - mid to high 20s. The air con was set to 16 or 17 degrees but the room temperature didnt drop below 22 degrees! When I asked about this at reception, I was informed that their air con units will only lower the temperature by about 3 degrees from that outside. We sweated our way through the nights sleeping under only a sheet.
Breakfast. Only meal we ate there. Very ordinary. Burnt pastries both days, fruit salad covered in fruit flies. We drank coffee and left it at that.
Staff. Hmm. Probably best described as polite.
Now, we arent snobs, we arent too fussy. We are mid 30s europeans who have travelled extensively, everything from camping though to business travel, we know what to expect. This hotel was NOT up to standard expected. If you get a good room, it might be better, but maybe it was just ours that was poor.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I recently spent 3 nights at the Ruzzini Palace Hotel with my wife. I got an excellent deal via an internet booking company and I would say that the hotel did not disappoint. We were located on the 6th floor where the ceilings of the rooms are low in comparison to other levels and I think the rooms are smaller than what has been posted by others on here but given the price I paid, the chacaracter of the room (low wooden beams mixed with modern plasma TV, modern study area) and its cleanliness - I have to say it was excellent value for money. The location of the hotel is perfect and is surrounded by some really nice places to eat. I found the breakfast to be good with plenty of variety. Without doubt however, the service of the staff at reception is the hotels biggest asset. Mario in particular went out of his way to help and all his recommendations were spot on. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to travel to Venice.

Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is the perfect hotel to celebrate a special occasion or just to indulge yourself. My Husband booked this as a surprise trip for my birthday and what a celebration it was! Our Junior Suite (201) was amazing with beautiful views over the Square. It was the biggest room we have ever stayed in with a huge bed, comfy chairs and a fantastic fresco ceiling. There were tea making facilities, a fridge, lovely toiletries and even bathrobes and slippers. Just round the corner from our room was an exquisite salon together with grand piano. Each side of the salon had a balcony one overlooking the square and the other overlooking the canal where you can watch the gondolas going by. All of the staff are friendly and welcoming and want to make sure that you have a memorable stay. As the hotel is small you do receive a personal service and it is not too grand that you feel intimidated by either the surroundings or the staff. We found the breakfast excellent and it was great that it was served until 10.30 am.

The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. These are best visited in the late afternoon when all the day trippers have gone and an air of quietness descends. Apart from these touristy areas there are many other lovely areas to explore and to discover. Head off with your map but expect to get lost some of the time and you will stumble across some amazing finds that most tourists never get to see. After doing so much walking we found it wonderful to return to the Ruzzini Palace to relax and unwind before going out for an evening meal. There are a number of restaurants a short walk from the hotel. We enjoyed the Trattoria Agli Artisti which is across the Square, over the bridge and a little way down on the right. Most of all we enjoyed the comfort and facilities at the Ruzzini Palace and highly recommend this fantastic hotel which certainly had the wow! factor for us.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Booked purely on the basis of previous reviews here on Tripadvisor and I'm happy to say the hotel did not dissappoint. We arrived in Venice to celebrate my wifes 40th Birthday although we initially disappoiinted with the ground floor room which was unusually lcoated just behind the reception. Still a good six and well appointed but didn't feel right. After enquriing (not complaining) about a room change we were apologetically told there was nothing else available. We arrived back from dinner (the wonderful Alle Testierre) to find a bottle of Prosecco on ice and two glasses in the room. This was not an apology for the room but a recognition that they had spotted it was my wifes birthday in the passport earlier that day. A nice touch!

The next morning the reception staff called to say they had another room available. I said not to worry as we had now unpacked and didn't want to cause a fuss. They insisted we take a look as they had been able to upgrade us to a third floor Junior Suite with great views over the square.

So whilst I accept this will not happen to everyone it was very welcome and left us with great memories of the staff and the hotel and would not now stay anywhere else in Venice.

North Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

I guess this hotel doesn't need any more good reviews, but I loved it so much, I can't help it. We booked the cheapest room that they have - and it was still super luxurious. We actually got a deal so it wasn't as much money as it probably should have been. We could look out of our window down to the canal, and you can take a water taxi from the backdoor of the hotel right to the airport! It's amazing. The free morning breakfast was outstanding as well, and the location (near some amazing restaurants, walkable to everything, in a quiet square) was ideal. It was (of course) extremely clean, with gorgeous amenities and a fantastic night's sleep in a luxurious bed. I love, love, loved this place!!! You definitely feel like you are in Venice, for sure. If I come back to Venice I will stay here again, and I just recommended it to my friend for her honeymoon. I am not going to even bother to add photos to this review - it's as good as it looks on their website, maybe better.

Venice
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

This hotel is excellent , centrally located on the main island and within walking distance of all the major attractions.
The buffet breakfast was very good. Staff were very helpful and courteous. They recommended a number of nice restaurants that we tried. If you stay there ask to see the Royal Suite. It is out of this world, would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Croydon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

The hotel is perfectly located for exploring Venice - 5 minutes from St Marks Square and Rialto Bridge. Hotel instructions reasonably good from water bus stopo at Rialto Bridge, but you will get lost during your stay - you just get used to it! However you need to be reasonably fit to lug cases etc up and over the numerous bridges enroute! Obviously if you take water taxi you will be delivered to the door - but at a price! Cost of water bus direct from Marco Polo Airport was 13 euros.

We stayed in a Junior suite overlooking the square, great to watch the world go by. The suite had been recently refurbished and everything was immaculate. Great shower & deep bath. Breakfast was a continental buffet however there were always eggs & bacon should you require it.

THis was a 50th birthday celebration and the hotel kindly left a bottle of Prosseco to chill for our return on the first evening. A very thoughtful touch. The reception staff were extremely courteous and produced an excellent map of the local area - however as I said above still be prepared to get lost!

Thank you Ruzzini for an excellent 3 day stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ruzzini Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!