“Great Venice Lunch Joint” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Al Merca

Al Merca
213 San Polo, Venice, Italy (San Polo)
34 68 34 06 60
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 1,198 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: San Polo
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Venice Lunch Joint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

After reading a few travel books about Italy, we wanted to find a little sandwich joint in Venice to enjoy with some prosecco. Al Marca was everything we were looking for.

I wasn't sure what any of the sandwiches were initially beside being able to identify the meat (my Italian needs some work), so we pretty much got 6 different sandwiches (variety pack) and 2 glasses of prosecco. We walked about 50 yards and sat along the canal and enjoyed our meal in the shade.

One of the sandwiches (something with Proscutto and Truffles) was so good that I went back there and ordered 2 more to go. I'm still tallying votes...but...definitely was a Top 3 Sandwich of my lifetime.

Visited September 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge
“Cut above the rest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

As described by others this hole in the wall is in a great location near Rialto lively but discrete. But the thing that marked it out for me was the great choice of quality, unusual and fairly priced wines by the glass and the delicious elegantly crafted snacks. Very tempting and pleasurable very venice

“The only place to eat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Bubbles and nibbles standing up! Breakfast in style...Venetian style... Love it. Stumbled on it by accident and then found the outstanding reviews! Well deserved. 2 more days to go and I know where I'll be eating!

Mougins
“Not to be missed !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I am on my 3rd visit to Venice ,am completely hooked on this amazing city .Each time I can,t wait to go to Al Merca for a spritz ( with a big ,fat olive at the bottom of the glass ) and some cichetti,and just hang out in the square watching Venetian life unfold . Magic .

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Diamondhead, Mississippi
“Best Spritz in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We happened upon this location by accident. It was a Saturday around noon and they had a large crowd of people, standing in the square eating and drinking. An Italian walked up to me and inquired what I was drinking. I brought them over and showed them the Spritz at Al Merca. We enjoyed hanging out around the Rialto. We tried the cicchetti and enjoyed the fried cheese and tuna treats. The price are very reasonable. There isn't much room to sit but some customers brought their Spritz or wine near the canal and sat down on the dock to enjoy the sights. Cin Cin!

Visited May 2012