“Charming place...great food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Rijeka, Croatia
“Charming place...great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Nice place. Very kind staff and most important amazing food. We just loved everything we have ordered. They could be a little cheaper considering the amount of tables in a small place...you have no privacy here...but other than that all good..

• Polish first
Padua, Italy
“What a DISAPPOINTMENT and too expensive for the quality”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We were in the mood for a regional meal the other day for our lunch and had not yet tried Al Bersagliere so decided to give it a shot.
My darlings eyes did not go past the Baccala and had a big portion of it served two ways with polenta. I had the Gnocchi with a gorgonzola and truffle sauce. A half litre of wine some water and a ricotta lemon dessert for one , so a complete menu you could say for one person that cost about 50 euros. The first thing i noticed about the restaurant was how it could do with a good clear out . Old flowers that might look ok dried while they still had some colour in them , but now they were all brown , they should go in the bin . Get fresh flowers or chuck them out , Same goes for the plastic flowers who looked sad in need of a good dust . I don't know about you but when I see plastic flowers I cringe especially in abundance its a very tacky look .
The place just looked un orderly , especially for the price tag charged , thats the relevance of my complaint here . Also it seems little attention is paid to the service of the food . My dish was cold , it had obviously been served onto a cold plate which made the sauce cold and left the gnocchi luke warm , I had to ask it to be microwaved to make it edible . My sweet man liked his Baccala but at 18 euros he thought a bit over priced. I know baccalla is expensive so would not expect to pay less for such a large portion . My gnocchi was not to my liking because first it was not hot enough when first served and the sauce was bland . The gnocchi was very floury in taste and I think the gorgonzola must have been just waved over the sauce because the taste was not there at all. The plate of vegetables were very overcooked to the extent they had lost all colour , but for some sad reason I enjoyed them more than the gnocchi...... I liked the prosecco, The torte of ricotta was nice but not exceptional.
I think this restaurant could be good if you chose the right dish , or maybe the chef tasted what he cooked before he served it. The waitress who I think might have been the owner came up with the excuse that the plate was cold because the kitchen is too small for them to heat the plates . I found it pathetic for her to be justifying the mistake /action in such a way as if thats an acceptable excuse . Have they not heard of hot lights in a commercial kitchen ?
Its the kind of place where you feel not enough attention to detail is exercised. are they blind or do they not care ? Maybe its the proximity to the Duomo and the abundance of tourists that has them confident and feeing no need to try hard.
The owners were nice enough and polite enough , but thats not enough to be on top of the game . Especially if you want to charge these prices . Would I return ... no . Bad value for money , for the price it needs to be much better than it is .. I just hope they throw away those old dead flowers

• Visited November 2013
“Charming restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Found it rather by accident yesterday but it was fully booked. Since we consider that a good sign, we went back today and booked table in advance. The atmosphere is very authentic: only Italian menu, caring waiters and good service. The food is very nice: the menu doesn't offer that much choices but what is on it, is delicious. We enjoyed the pastas as well as the main courses... And the desserts were nice as well.

Visited October 2013
new york city
“A beautiful restaurant with traditional food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We enjoyed our visit and dinner at Al Bersagliere, though found the menu to be a little limited. Many of the restaurants in Padova seem to have the same primis and secondos, however, these were well presented, though a little more pricey than other places. The atmosphere makes up for that and the service is warm and friendly. Yes, I would recommend this restaurant for a nice meal in the Santo area.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milan, Italy
“traditional honest local food, served in generous portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

local specialties, neat place, good service, very nice attitude . food is simple, but genuine and quite hearty portions , some good wines , very fair prices

• Visited February 2013