“One of the best holidays, ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Cervinia

You added Club Med Cervinia to your Saves list
Club Med Cervinia
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Strada del Piolet 6 - Cielo Alto, 11021 Breuil-Cervinia, Italy   |
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Breuil-Cervinia
Johannesburg, South Africa
“One of the best holidays, ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was my first Club Med holiday, and I'm really, really impressed. Club Med run a very smooth operation - everything ran like clockwork.

I guess it depends on what kind of "package" you take, but ours (a group of 5 friends) was the "all-in" ski package, and it was an absolute pleasure to literally not have to pay extra for a single thing. EVERYTHING was included in the up-front price. Air tickets, airport transfers, accommodation, unlimited eats and drinks, all meals, ski pass, ski equipment hire, ski shuttle to/back from town, EVERYTHING.

We were met on time at the airport, transported to the resort by a friendly and knowledgeable tour guide and received a friendly welcome at the hotel.

There were one or two really, really minor things I think could have worked a little better - but (like in some of my other reviews), I'm grasping at straws to find *something* to complain about:

The 1st is that on the same day of your arrival (which can be quite late in the afternoon if you've flown in), you have limited time to go and sign for, and pick up your ski equipment. Being 1st time skiers, we would have appreciated it if the staff could speak a bit more English, and had spent a bit more time with us making sure we got the right size ski boots, etc. This process felt very rushed.

The 2nd was the quality of the coffee! Strange, coming from an Italian resort, but the coffee really wasn't great. It was hot and sweet, which was great, but it was very weak and watery. If you enjoy your coffee, you may be a bit disappointed.

3rd and lastly, the wifi access was a paid for service. Sure, it was only e20 for the whole week, but it would have been the cherry on the top if it was included in the package .... because absolutely everything else was.

Ok, now on to the good stuff ... and where to start!

The location of the hotel (at the base of the Mt Cervino/Matterhorn) blew my mind. There was nowhere you could look that didn't look like a post card. Absolutely stunning.

The 2nd thing that blew my mind was the quality, variety and quantity of food. I though that the standard Club Med offering would likely be bulk-catered food for the masses, but it wasn't at all. I can only describe it as brilliant - the selection, the variety, the quality and the quantity - and that goes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Actually - *amazing*. 5 stars to the catering team.

3rd, the quality of the ski instruction. This of course may vary depending on who you instructor is, but if you're a beginner, and you're lucky enough to get "Dino" as your instructor, I guarantee that not only WILL you being skiing confidently in a few days time, but you'll have an absolute blast in the process.

The quality of the ski equipment. Even though we arrived quite late, and it was a bit of bun-fight to go and get kitted out, there was plenty of equipment, and it was all in excellent condition - in fact, it all looked almost brand new.

The regular (free) shuttle service to and from the hotel to Cervinia and the ski lifts. Friendly drivers who always helped you with loading and unloading your skis.

The surprise Christmas gift in our rooms - a pandoro, lots of different chocolates and a bottle of bubbly. Totally unexpected - a very nice touch.

Overall, I cannot recommend Club Med Cervinia enough. Definitely one of the best holidays I've had, and we all agreed - AMAZING value for money. There is NO WAY we could have organised our own trip for anything close to what we paid ...

Will most definitely be back - not only to Cervinia (where I small part of me stayed behind), but looking forward to trying other Club Med destinations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Mt Cervino, and if you're skiing for the 1st time, try and get &qu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We( my husband and I ) had our very first skiing holiday this December, and chose Club Med because it seemed like the best way to learn to ski ( and it gave my husband an excuse to see a Juventus game in Turin on the way), and the most affordable when you way up everything that is included.

We were not disappointed in this regard.Cervinia had one of its best snow falls in years, and coming from South Africa, the scenery looked like something we only see in post cards. We transferred in late ( after the football of cause) but it was a breeze. Club Med were at the airport on time, and the 1 and a half hour trip to Cervinia flew by. The reception staff were friendly, and we immediately booked out ski school class and organized all our equipment.
The hotel is older, therefore small rooms and even small bathrooms, with the occasional creek from people walking around the place, but nothing uncomfortable. Note however is that the showers are small, no romantic 2 people in the shower on this trip( in the standard room) unless you are 2 relatively small people.

Dinners, lunches,breakfasts ( and all other meals over the day) were plentiiful. With tons of options and a different theme every night which ( unlike some buffet places) did not make the food boring( and how can home made pizza and pasta, and all the cheese in the world be boring). We rarely sat alone either, even through we went as a couple, we met so many people, and made some friends for life on the trip, which is a lovely part of the experience( you can eat alone if you chose to had some downtime as well). Drinks are always flowing, with us going for drinks before dinner, and again after, chatting and watching the shows that are put on everynight.

Skiing daily was amazing, you are always with an instructor and as we had never skiied before this helped. I must say I was better than I every thought by the end of the week, doing some tough courses and learning a few moves along the way. we had a lunch on the mountain most days as well, which saved time, and allowed for more skiing time( which i loved), it also meant less time walking in those enormous shoes you need to wear. Luca and Alberto were great ski instructors and we need to send a shout out to them ( thanx for the help guys).

Club Med Cervinia is catered more to families, and the amount of children in the hotel was crazy. We would probably chose a more expensive resort next time with less kids, but still club med.

There is a shuttle every ten minutes from the hotel to any of the slopes, as well as into the town and back, which was great. We did at least a half an hour walk everynight. The weather (even though cold) was lovely just to walk in.

Room Tip: Choose a bigger room. The small standard rooms are tight, but still comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Had never been to a Club Med but at Snow Time we looked at them each year and usually dismissed them against the price and flexibility offered by chalet holidays. This time was different it was early season snow had fallen in Cervinia and we got a great last minute booking. We would normally budget about £500 on travel transfers and a chalet with food and wine, £200 on lift pass and about £300 for snacks and drink on the mountain and for apres. In total about £1000 per person, suddenly the Club Med option was looking good value.
Having been our overall conclusion is that it was great value but would i now consider myself a Club Med convert ? Answer not quite but I met many people who were and and we would consider going again.
What did we like -
The inclusion of group lessons/guiding inc off piste with Avalanche locators (worth quite a lot).
Apart from general tips it was made clear more personal instruction was available just ask!!! My partner took great advantage of this.
The dinner buffet in the evening with a huge selection varying from burger and chips to gourmet dishes. Breakfast cooked options as well as continental.
As a couple we appreciated the fact at evening dinner we could have a table for two but they had plenty of table combinations if you wanted to be in a group.
The staff who were always very pleasant.
The evening bar good selection of drinks cocktails, prosecco, spirits etc
The cosmopolitan nature of the club lots of Nationalities as guests or GO's.
A very large (albeit dated) corner bed room so we had plenty of space and also quiet due to distance from entertainment.
The concept of a Club Med lunch on the mountain.
What didnt didnt we like -
Room with a combined bath and shower - a combination of height of shower me being tall and a low folding shower guard meant i was cleaning water off the floor after each use.
Net type curtains on a clear glass window in a bath room our concern when light on rendered users visible from outside this was reported to management we asked for dressing gown or better curtain and when no response we covered them each night with a blanket.
The bed my partner felt was exceedingly uncomfortable due to being too hard.
The room temperature is very warm even when radiators are off and air can be stuffy at night i spoke to other guests who had a similar experience and were trying to combat this by opening windows - to be fair this may be due to altitude.
Photographers in the bar, awaiting your entrance to dinner at the evening and in the restaurant at lunch time. Whilst some guests may enjoy this i found it intrusive and commercial.
Not sure about - The lunch on the mountain which was in the lower area of the bar/restaurant and drinks served up in an upstairs part at the back with benches in it. Concept is great but after a few days the delivery left me feeling i was in a canteen rather than the kind of quality of evening dinners in the hotel. That said if you want to avoid the cost of eating and drinking on the mountain you would appreciate this option.
The hotel bar is very large and the afternoon apres atmosphere dominated by screened videos. Compared to the energy put into the night time entertainment it seems almost sedate for Apres ski..
Great minibus service through the day up to 1900 after that you are most likely doing a 10-15 min walk uphill from town to the hotel.
The bar is very large and for me lacks intimacy no fire for example..
Internet charge in an all inclusive resort. Although it worked with IPAD i was unable to use it with my Macook although another guest said they managed it by using a different browser.
Conclusion the package of All Inclusive Lessons, Accomodation, Food & Drink seems very competetive. Club Med Cervinia has a lot going for it but in my opinion probably more suited to families or groups than couples. On balance we had a great good value holiday but missed the freedom of stopping anywhere we liked on the mountain for lunch and drinks and in the town for Apres.

Room Tip: There are newer decorated rooms i believe, see photos on their web. Some rooms apparently only have...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

First holiday'd with Club Med in April 2011. Back again April 2012. Fantastic holiday again. The coolest thing about this ski resort is the ability to ski from Italy into Switzerland (Zermatt) - so you have a huge ski area to cover. Even my daughter was taken with her group into Switzerland, in her 2nd year of skiing.

Weather in 2012 was not quite as good as 2011 in that we had 2 or 3 days of snow and low cloud. Positive was that we had loads of fresh snow! (amazing for April). And the mountain didn't close with high winds as happened on one day last year. Skied back to the hotel every day (in April)

Ski "lessons" are great but as other reviewers have commented, are more like ski guiding than tuition (even my daughter said that of her level 3 group). Max was our instructor in 2012 and very good. We covered a huge number of ski miles. Took us into the terrain park on the Zermatt side which was fantastic. Skied over the huge kickers into 2+ feet of power after on of the overnight snow dumps. Lifetime memory!

Club Med service is very good. Although the Chef de Village was less visible than the one in 2011. What could they do better?

(1) WiFi is not included in this extensively all-inclusive holdiay. I get free Wifi access at McDonalds and motorway service stations, why not with Club Med?! (esp given number of business people travelling with Club Med who may need to keep in contact with their business)
(2) A bit more emphasis on ski technique coaching would be helpful, to help further. That said, as I mention above, the ski lessons/groups worked very well.
(3) Flights in 2012 and 2011 were to Turin, with Thomson. Club Med could not get these for 2013 so we are flying to Milan. Be good if they could get flights (from Scotland in our case) to Turin, as transfer time is less than 2 hours.

Going back again at Easter 2013 - that will make it 3 years in a row, which says it all.

See here for my review from April 2011:

For photos, check out the Club Med Pinterest page ... some of my photos are there from 2011 and 2012

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room, which is a suite with 2 bedrooms. Excellent and ideal for families. Must be...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Cervinia, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Great Member,
Thank you very much for posting this review on Trip Advisor and for your loyalty towards towards Club Med Cervinia!

We are delighted to hear that you especially enjoyed the ski area and the quality of the service.
On a different note, we appreciate your feedback regarding the Wi-Fi and the flights. We value your opinion and will keep your suggestions in mind for the future.

We are looking forward to welcoming you for the third time next Easter,
Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Last Christmas, our family was one of 5 families who were targeted by burglers at Cervinia. They accessed our bedrooms and took items from our safe. They also went through our personal possessions. My kids were really upset that burglers could get into our rooms so easily and so we spent the next night worried for our safety in the rooms. We were really traumatised.

Apart from a disastrous Christmas Day at the police station, I am most upset that after 9 months, Club Med have still not treated my complaint seriously or given us any of our money back. When I booked a Christmas holiday all in package, I did not expect this shoddy treatment from the company. If you stay at this resort, do not take valuables and do not expect Club Med to look after you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Cervinia, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Ling S,

We were very sorry to note the level of your disappointment with regards to some aspects of your holiday in Cervinia last December, and more precisely the fact that you were subjected to a theft inside your room during your stay.

Rest assured that this unpleasant experience left us no less bewildered than you did, and we shared your concerns as per the security issues involved on site.

Our operational management has since been advised of the above in order to look into our current procedures to ensure safety and security at Club Med Cervinia.

In addition, we can confirm that all victims of these unpleasant events were directed by our staff to the local police in order to start a full investigation, and our insurance brokers with whom all claims have to date been settled.

On behalf of Club Med, we would like to offer our sincere apologies to you and your family for this unfortunate experience at our resort.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your holiday experience with us. It is only with constructive criticism such as yours that Club Med will be able to monitor and improve if necessary, the standards and quality of services offered in all its resorts worldwide.

We hope that despite your unexpected holiday experience at Club Med Cervinia, we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company by welcoming you to another resort in the not too distant future, when we are sure that all arrangements are wholly satisfactory.

Best wishes,
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This review is 2.5 years late but I think I should still leave a review for Club Med Cervinia as this is still one of our most memorable holidays. Still talking good things about it until today.

This was our first holiday with Club Med and it was over the Xmas week of 2009. Everything from start to end was excellently planned and we were always made to feel very welcomed. The G.Os were so friendly but never too intimidating. The then Resort Chief Gianni Merone was tireless, always smiling and ever ready to help. We were impressed by the enthusiasm and friendliness of all the staff, given that the resort was running at max. capacity over the Xmas period.

Rooms - The rooms were very basic but our view was fantastic as it was facing a snow covered mountain. As we were spending most of our time out of the room, we could live with the basic room. Of course, the food and good people made up for this lacking part.

Food - what can we say but OMG! It was not just a huge variety of food at every single meal but the quality of the food was excellent! If we picked just one item of each, we would have been stuffed! We really looked forward to meal times. Just walking along the buffet spread could put a big smiles on our faces as the food was always so well presented! Club Med was really generous with their food selection, we were definitely not expecting fresh oysters and lobsters on Xmas night. Even the tea break nibbles were good and we always had to stop ourselves from having too much so we could have dinner.

Drinks - they had a good variety of drinks that we could choose from and they do pretty decent cocktails too. It was always nice to lounge at the bar area with a lovely mulled wine after a hard day's work of skiing. Warm and fuzzy.

Skiing - the instructor we had, Matteo, he was the sweetest, most patient ski instructor anyone could ask for. I think he was in his 60s but much fitter and stronger than most of us. As we were super beginners, he is just so patient with all of us and when he knew we were tired, he even offered to carry our skis for us. But when he knew we wanted a little bit more challenge, he brought us to a new course but all along guiding us with very watchful eyes. Matteo is a sea of calm.

Overall - a very very good and memorable holiday! Totally relaxing, just ski, eat, drink, sleep. This review should have been posted much earlier. Thank you Club Med Cervinia!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Great Member,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment about your holiday at our Cervinia Club Med Resort. We are delighted to hear that you still keep unforgettable memories of your holiday and that you enjoyed the warm atmosphere, the top-quality food and the kindness of our staff.

We hope to welcome you again soon in Cervinia,
Kind Regards,
South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Myself, wife and 2 children stayed here the last week in April 2012. The resort was only half full so we got a room upgrade and very open ski slopes. It was our first skiing holiday and we all had an amazing time, the food was absolutely gorgeous and nothing was to much to ask. The skiing was brilliant and the ski instructors excellent with us and the children. The whole epxerience was positive, the club staff brilliant and friendly, the pool was a lovely 27 C and we used it each day after skiing. I would highly reccommend this resort for a wonderful family holiday and would definitely visit it again

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Cervinia? Share your experiences!