“Great Restauarant with view at Bolzano” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Diner, Central European, Winery
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Muenchen
“Great Restauarant with view at Bolzano”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We enjoyed a creative delicious high quality three course meal at the Restaurant Haselburg. The recommended wine paired very well with the served courses.

Visited July 2014

Montecatini Terme, Italy
“Used to be the only place to eat in Bolzano....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

.... now just keep driving if you want food that makes sense.
Due to my business I've been travelling the world more or less constantly for the last 30 years. I've been to great restaurants and to bad ones.
The Haselburg used to be only one I coped within the city of Bolzano, which certainly is not known for great food, however the service and food at the Haselburg was consistently excellent.

Apparently a new chef has taken over, and although the quality of the ingredients is better than ever, the preparation and combination of the dishes was mediocre. I've seen this countless times in my life, the lack of respecting the basics. How many ingredients can you put in a dish to make it sound interesting? As many as you want, obviously, but what flavour will hit your palate?
I couldn't remember what was supposed to be on the plate (clearly the tender-as-butter veal I remembered) and my wife asked me what it was. I said "wait a second" and tried. I was unable to tell what it was, too many flavours made it impossible. Clearly nowadays things have to sound good, look good and be expensive as the majority of people have no understanding about food and will order by impulse. I noticed that our table neighbours had issues with their meal as well.
I didn't say much to the staff - they were very friendly but a bit confused. After all these years I gave up giving my opinion to restaurant staff/owners as most of them take offense. It's usually worse when they figure out that I know what I am talking about. I just never go back and find another place. They have to run a business and it won't matter if I come back or not. With a location like this anything can be served. People will always turn up. The location is really worthwhile visiting. Maybe just have a drink and give the food a skip.
And please bring your own bread. It used to be reasonably nice, but on a humid day like yesterday all the rolls were stale. And don't tell me that there aren't ways to counteract that. Not asking much.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brasov, Romania
“Wonderfull food in an exquisite location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

After travelling up the (most of the time) steep one lane - two way road, we arrived at Castel Flavon. The whole valley was visible before us, in the dusk. The place is beautifully renovated and the food is just great!

Visited April 2014
“Delicious food, good menu, great setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Restaurant in a beautiful little castle on a hill looking out over Bolzano. Delicious food, from the chef's appetiser, to the best polenta I've had to date and the lovely lamb. For the quality of the food and attention to detail it is good value. Hope to go back some day.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Huntington, NY
“Excellent food, romantic setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I visited Bolzano in September, 2013. One of our culinary highlights was our meal at the Rostorante Castel Flavon. The ride to the Castel can be a bit daunting--but taxis are available. Our food was excellent. Our servers all spoke English and there is an English menu, The view at night from the courtyard overlooking Bozen is dramatic and stunning. A visit to the bathrooms is unique. The menu tended to be more Germanic than Itilian, but everything we ate was tasty and well-prepared

• Visited September 2013