“Nice business hotel located right by the Metro station” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #34 of 127 Hotels in Turin
Grosse Pointe Park, MI
“Nice business hotel located right by the Metro station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

I spent 2 weeks at this hotel January 17-29, 2010. I am a travel agent and my husband had to go to Turin on business. His company chose this hotel. I was leary because it was outside of the city center of Turin, where we have stayed before. I was concerned about how I would get into the city, easily and without great expense.

When we arrived, I was suprised at the new building (apparently it's only been open a bit over a year). It was very Italian in design. Lobby was nice, people at the desk extremely pleasant and helpful. Neither my husband nor I speak Italian. The person at the desk pointed out to us that the metro station was right across the street and it costs 1 euro to get into the city, which takes about 10 minutes. It drops you off at the Porta Nuevo station, which is perfect.

Our room was pleasant. Large windows that open for fresh air. The thermostat controls would not allow the room to become as cool as I liked, so I would open the windows. That alleviated to much heat in the room. We had a room with a king size bed. They have larger rooms that have couches and larger living quarters, which were nice as well. But since my husband's company was footing the bill, we were given the room that was assigned to us.

Furnishings were pleasant, nice clean Italian lines. Linens were fine. Everything was clean. The floors were a wooden plank floor, not carpeted like many hotels. The bathroom was large enough with one sink and a standing shower, no tub. There are also speakers in the bathroom, which allow you to hear the television if it is on in the room.

There is wireless access in the rooms, but you have to pay for it. We found that most annoying and quite expensive. A 1/2 an hour costs 5 euros, one hour 10 euros. They should really look at their policy for that since it is a business hotel.

There is a breakfast buffet, which was more than adequate, I thought. I'm also a chef, so food is always of great concern to me. They offered fresh cut fruit in bowl, which was nice. Also offered pieces of fresh fruit like apples, bananas, etc. They had a variety of croissants and rolls, breads and the like. There was a display of cold meats, cheeses, fresh mozerella, tomatoes, and canned peaches. Also offered were a variety of cold cereals and milk and some yogurts. One morning I tried their scrambled eggs and bacon that they had in a chaffing dish, but they were not to my liking or my husbands. Dried up and not very good. That would be my only complaint. They offer juice and water, plus a coffee machine. Being very fussy about coffee and knowing how Italians love their coffee, I asked the waitstaff to make me a cappachino every morning and they happily obliged. So I can't speak about the coffee in the machine, although people said it was fine.

Taking the Metro into the city center was wonderful. One of the nicest metro lines I have ever been on. It's brand new because it was built for the 2006 Olympic games. It's very efficient and clean. And for 1 euro a ride, you can't beat it. I would take it into the city in the morning, spend the day in the city, come back to the hotel in the evening to get my husband then we would take it into the city for dinner at one of the many fabulous restaurants.

The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is a nice little neighborhood. We ate lunch one day at a little pizza parlor a few blocks from the hotel and it was good. Every day, about 5 blocks from the hotel, an open air market is set up from 9 a.m. to about 1 or 2 p.m. I visited that numerous times. I love the open air markets with all of the fruits, vegetables, fresh meats and fish and many other things for sale.It's where all of the locals go to do their shopping. Great fun to wander about.

This is a very good place to stay on business, because the rates are reasonable and you have easy access to the metro to take you into the city center. Would I stay if I were going for leisure travel? I tend to like 5 star properties for leisure travel, but if my budget wouldn't allow that, I would certainly consider staying here.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Lombard, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

This hotel feels like a Holiday Inn in the U.S., for good or bad. It was near the subway, so getting to the Turin city center was very easy. The restaurant had decent food, although it is very easy to eat really good food for less money if you go elsewhere. For my purposes, this hotel was very comfortable and convenient - I would stay there again.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

I was travelling with my husband and another couple through France and our final destination was Milan, so we passed through Turin and decided to stay the night. We hadn't booked anything and the city was much larger than we had ever imagined, so we were having trouble finding something suitable. Out pops this Holiday Inn from the distance and in we go to check out rates. They offered us an EXCELLENT last-minute deal (we were only there for a night) that included breakfast. We were exhausted from travelling so spent our entire time in Turin in this hotel, and it was worth it. The wait staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly and more than accomodating, both at dinner that night and again the following morning. The breakfast was a real treat- a variety of fresh fruits, cheeses, yogurt, meats, etc... The rooms were amazing- the bed was massive and the bathroom was also very spacious. A real treat compared to other places that we had stayed over the course of our trip. I would definitely recommend this to anyone going through Torino. Great family spot. There was a tram outside that ran straight to the city centre so it wouldn't have been difficult to get in if we wanted to.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

My husband is a HUGE Juventus Football fan and since we were going to be in Europe, we made it a point to schedule our trip around the 09/14 game against Udinese. The main reason we picked this hotel was for the fact that it was new, clean and close to both the Stadium and mainly the city center. The hotel was a ten minute cab ride from the train station and it cost about 10 Euros. The hotel is as nice as it looks in the photos. Our room was spacious, modern and clean. The metro station is right across the street next to the movie theater, and it goes directly to the city center (about 10-15 minutes). The breakfast buffet was included in our rate and it was wonderful. There was a nice selection of fresh fruit, pastries, breads, eggs, sausage etc. The staff was very nice, we were so nervous that the package with the tickets wouldn't arrive, or they would get misplaced; however the staff handed them to us immediately upon arrival. I have been to some very stylish European cities, however Turino was something else. Everyone was so trendy and chic. The shopping is absolutely wonderful. The pinnacle of the trip was going to the game and it was everything we hoped it would be. Needless to say, we WON! I reccomend this hotel to tourists as well as business travelers.

• Liked — Proximity to Metro
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

WHO: I spend probably 20% of my time on the road for business, this trip included. I typically stay at Hiltons and Marriotts, with the occasional Sofitel or Star Hotels thrown in for good measure.

LOCATION: There are three Holiday Inns in Torino....one near the Porto Nuova train station, one in the middle of a residential area somewhere, and this one on Corso Francia / Piazza Massaua. You should make sure to verify which one you’re staying with, to avoid any unpleasant surprises and additional taxi rides. While this location is VERY convenient to the aerospace / industrial area, and to the ‘tangenziale’ highway which leads to the airport (about a 30-Euro taxi ride), it’s not very close to any of the touristy or commercial areas. There are a few pizzerias and a department / grocery store a block east on Corso Francia, but that’s about it. There is a ‘Metro’ stop across the street, which will take you to the main train station and shopping areas, however....very convenient.

CHECK IN: The check in process was very prompt, courteous, and professional. Most people working the desk seem to speak decent-enough English.

SERVICE: The hotel, including the room, was extremely clean and in good condition. It did take a couple calls and about an hour to get an iron / ironing board, but that’s a minor issue. I wouldn’t say anyone went out of their way to help me with questions and issues, but they were always very courteous and accommodating when I would ask something.

LAYOUT: This Holiday Inn is new, relatively small, and is very easy to get around in. There is a small bar / restaurant / cafe area, located on the same floor as the lobby and waiting area.

ROOMS: I saw one other room besides the one I was staying in, and they were both very nice. The floors are wood / laminate, so everything is a little louder and colder than I prefer, but that’s just personal preference. The beds are comfortable, and the Linens were clean and practically new. The pillows were decent. There are no irons in the rooms, but there is one available from the front desk. The water pressure was fine, and the temperature was consistent.

PARKING: There is some limited parking for a fee.

RESTAURANT: While I’ve never eaten lunch or dinner at the house restaurant, the rooms do include a standard breakfast buffet.

SUMMARY: Holiday Inn is a nice, reasonably priced place to stay, with convenient access to the Metro. I would have no problems with staying there again.

• Liked — cleanliness + condition of the facilities
  • Disliked — Wood floors
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Moscow Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

Situated in a quiet residential area of Turin, the hotel "Holiday Inn Corso Francia" is only 12-15 minutes by metro from the historical city centre. Superb Metro is very efficient and inexpensive, with a single ride fare of € 1 while a 24-hours urban ticket costs only € 3.50 thus giving its holder unlimited access to the whole network of the public transportation. The station “Massaua” is some 100 meters from the doors of the hotel.
Tip: the hotel does not have its own concierge service, so do not bother yourself by ringing the hotel reception from your homecountry and trying to pre-order a taxi to pick you up in the airport upon your arrival, it is fruitless; take a taxi when leaving arrival hall, instead.

When I came in the hotel lobby ten past 12 a.m. I was instantly given a big, well-equipped double room in the seventh floor. You may wish to know how good the room was from the photos I attached hereto.
I was dog-tired and felt thirsty, so I was glad to use tea-making facilities in the room. A 75 cl welcoming bottle of sparkling water was on the table.
The enormously huge bed was as comfortable as one could expect from a hotel of Holiday Inn chain. The three pillows were all right, too.

That night I noticed that the WC had poorly been cleaned after the previous guest; it was a very unpleasant “gift” to me. Another one was there when I disclosed traces of someone else’s blood on the rim of WC bowl. Though the following days everything was okay and the room maid did her best to vanish this all and the room itself was very clean, to my regret the hotel deserves only “1” for cleanliness during my stay there.
Tip: to the time no wireless internet is available in the hotel area, so take a LAN connection cable with you if you want to use your laptop in the room.

Breakfast is nothing special, really: omelette, bacon and cold snacks are offered, plus a choice of cereals and freshly baked croissants.
Tip: in no way take any coffee from the coffee automat at your disposal - it is being made of soluble instant coffee;
so, let a waiter to serve you and ask for good freshly prepared coffee of grounded beans, it is free, of course (espresso, cappuccino, americano and caffe` macchiato are also available on request and do not increase the bill, too).

Paid € 97 per night in weekend, € 129 per night in weekdays, including breakfast. The price did not depend on whether I was alone in the room or had I been accompanied by my wife.

Upon checkout the receptionist debited my Mastercard for € 64 adding these to those € 323 already deposited before my arrival; she gave me a printed fiscal invoice with a flat rate of € 129 per night accrued, thus totaling € 387 instead of € 323 being expected, though I had stayed partly during a weekend.
I immediately reported the discrepancy and I told her I had booked the room via their website and that I had had a confirmation with me; the receptionist shrugged then whispered “Sorry” and took my Mastercard again for making a relating "storno"/credit through the machine. She re-printed out the invoice where she put now € 129 per night at weekend and € 65 for the last night of my stay there. It made me several problems, as the cost of the last night should have been recharged to my employer. I did not have much time to pursue talking to the receptionist while the taxi had been waiting for me with a taximeter running, ca. € 1 per minute.

Taxi to the airport costs € 40 oneway. To save, take metro to Porta Nuova and then the airport coach for € 6; I had heavy luggage with me and decided to spend more.
Tip: carefully read the hotel bill and then scrutinise it again before agreeing to make a final settlement and have your reservation’s sheet ready for complains, if any. It would be of help to you to prevent overpricing or related exchange rate difference if your card is charged and then credited back, as mine was, in your homecountry in a currency other than €.

Do not leave your passport when checking-in; in any way the receptionist must have a photocopy of your passport under the Italian Law but this can be made in a couple of seconds by him/her, so require return of your ID.

• Liked — : two mirrors on the walls inside the room, heavy curtains, soundproof windows and modern leather armchairs, powerful shower and spacious bed, a smart chipset key to unlock the door (I saw such a key for the first time).
  • Disliked — the “WC surprise” I have described above and the ineffective checkout with two serious mistakes consequently made by the receptionist who disregarded the information received from the booking centre.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2007

Nice hotel. Rooms were ok. Friendly staff at lobby.
Internet service in rooms was not working.
They hold on to your passport when you check in and supposed to be returned when checking out. The person who checked us out early in the morning 5am did not give it back and we noticed that when we were on our way to the airport. Had to return and pick it up. No apologies given.
For the price, I think it was OK.

Stayed December 2007

Been to Holiday Inn Turin-Corso Francia? Share your experiences!