“On the doorstep of railway station” 4 of 5 stars

Mercure Torino Crystal Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Nizza 11, 10125 Turin, Italy   |
Ranked #41 of 128 hotels in Turin
singapore
“On the doorstep of railway station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Chose to spend our last night in Turin here because of its convenient location. It is right next to the main Turin railway station: when you leave the platforms, just look for the exit on the right and the hotel is just across the street (the signboard is not very prominent). There are of course more atmospheric hotels to pick from, but if you are lugging lots of baggage and need to spend just a night, I'd highly recommend this. Unlike some larger cities where the railway station is a bit of a hike from the sights, Turin's is right at the start of Via Roma and 15-20 minutes by foot from the major attractions.

The room is large; the bathroom luxuriously so. Everything is clean and modern. Receptionists were friendly and efficient. I also appreciated the fact that they let us store a large suitcase for 5 days before we checked in. (We would have spent quite a bit if we stored it at the railway station's left luggage counter.) I know hotels in busier cities that wouldn't have been so accommodating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at Mercure Torino Crystal Palace, responded to this review, June 23, 2014

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bari, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

This hotel is very nice inside, it´s located in a beautiful traditional palace. Unfortunately from outside it´s not so attractive as this zone is rather a dangerous one where you don´t want to stay for a long time, neither you could as there are no good restaurants nor shops near. However there is a railway station with a metro right there, taxi stop is just opposite to the hotel so you could reach all the places you want quite easily. The hotel is very pleasant with comfortable rooms offering a breakfast with a good possibility to select what you want, of course the widest choice possible, but for Italy it´s not bad at all.

Room Tip: Try executive single rooms, you will be surprised in a positive way.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at Mercure Torino Crystal Palace, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
thanks for the time spent for your positive review.
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed here for one night at the weekend. The hotel is located directly opposite Porta Nuova railway station, close to the Sadem airport shuttle bus stop and to one of the hop on City Sightseeing bus stops. I arrived at just after 10 in the morning and a friendly, English speaking, receptionist ensured that my room was ready for me within twenty minutes. He also provided me with three different wi-fi passwords for my separate devices. The room itself was very clean. It was not huge but was comfortably spacious. I loved the windows that opened on to the bustling street below. I had them open all night, as I like fresh air. It was a little noisy with the sound of people enjoying a Saturday night but I enjoyed hearing this sound of the city. There was little traffic noise. Some reviewers have mentioned that they were concerned about the type of person they saw hanging around on the street outside the hotel. I saw interesting and diverse groups of people, as one would expect near a city railway station. I am a sole female traveller and felt perfectly safe.

I chose not to have breakfast. As I was so exhausted in the evening, I ordered room service for my evening meal. It wasn't wonderful but it was good value and the menu had explained that the pasta sauce was frozen. I knew the hotel did not have a restaurant and could easily have found good food nearby had I not felt so lazy.

The bed was very comfortable, there was a great selection of toiletries and the hotel's main staircase is beautiful. The hotel stored my case for me after checkout where I again, received a friendly service. I would stay here again. My only problem was that I could not get the air-con to work but I did not bother to contact reception about this so it is possible that there was a simple solution to this.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Madame,
we thank you for the time spent for your lovely review.
We are glad to see that our efforts are appreciated by our guests.
We hope to have you again our guest during your next travel in Turin, in the meanwhile please accept our best regards.
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

The Crystal Palace is across the road from Turin's main rail station, close to tram, metro and bus stops as well as to the historic beautiful city centre.
The hotel is housed within in a traditional Italian styled building which has been sympathetically restored evoking an Italian ambience.
Everything is clean, tidy and well looked after.The staff are helpful, friendly and kindly..I must mention smiling Andrew in the delightful breakfast room, Fransesca and Stephanie the Manager. Stephanie even gave me advice in how to use the tram, bus, metro...including where and how to buy tickets, how to use them, getting on /off, as well as a basic language lesson. This all helped me to really feel at ease and enjoy exploring this charming city which has so many cultural sites.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at Mercure Torino Crystal Palace, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you found our staff lovely and friendly. Our aim is to always ensure our guests feel as welcome and as comfortable as possible. Once again thank you for such a nice review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future!
All the staff sends you best regards.
Winchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The Website offered the Torino Bar and Restaurant but on arrival, I was informed that this 4 star hotel has no restaurant.. A four star hotel must have a restaurant in the vast majority of civilised European countries. This hotel has no eating facility except for breakfast. The response to my complaint was that under a Piedmont regulation it is not necessary to have a restaurant in a four star hotel. How can Accor expect to be taken seriously as an international group if it hides behind such an excuse rather than providing a level of service that travellers are entitled to expect. I refused to stay but have been denied a refund on my prepayment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at Mercure Torino Crystal Palace, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest,
first of all let me thank you for the time spent in reviewing our hotel.
Further to your comment I am sorry to read your complaint about the fact that our hotel did not have a restaurant, nevertheless I would like to underline some points as already done in reply to your e-mails in the past:
In the hotel’s website it is well specified that the hotel only disposes of a bar and that it doesn’t have any restaurant, as indicated in the "Dining and Bars" section of the website. Moreover at the check-in you have been informed that some cold dishes were available at the bar, nevertheless you chose to leave the hotel.
I confirm that for our regional law a four stars hotel is not obliged to have restaurant, no one is hiding behind any excuse, this is just a fact.
For these reasons we have not answered positively to your request of refund.
Thank you again for taking the time for your review. We look forward to better meeting your expectations upon your next stay.
Best regards
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

The location is very central, just next door from the central station, but at night looks very creepy and did not feel safe with all weird people around.

The rooms had a smell of smoke, is it legal?

The staircase is indeed incredible: huge like in a museum.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at Mercure Torino Crystal Palace, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback.
I am sorry to see that you felt unsafe outside of the hotel, that the sorroundings seemed creepy, but as you said the hotel is central and located next to the main train station.You will agree with me that in most of the cities the area round the train station is plenty of people arriving from different places and sometimes the appereance scares us more than it should.
Some of our rooms are smoking ones and even if our housemaids do their best to clean and air the room in those rooms happens that a little smell remains the same.
In thanking you again for your kind review and hoping to have you here for your next stay in Turin I wish you a good day and send you my best regards.

Been to Mercure Torino Crystal Palace? Share your experiences!