“Awesome stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 127 Hotels in Turin
Miami, Florida
“Awesome stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed at Urbani for three nights. The hotel was very centralized in Torino, yet in a quiet street away from the noise. We were a few blocks from, maybe a five minute walk, into the city center. Cold air condition in the rooms, and an elevator. The room was a good size, too! Service was great, and they had a decent breakfast every morning, they even had bacon but we always seemed to miss it because we would get there late.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Friendly. The rooms are quaint. Good experience. Definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Bucharest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I spent a night at Hotel Urbani, April 29/30, 2011. I had room 602, a single. The room was large enough for the need of one person, included a minibar and a safe deposit box. Bathroom with shower.
Neither the air conditioning nor the heather in the bathroom did not work, even if the night was cold. No supplementary blanket was provided, therefore I needed to add a sweater for the night.
The nice thing about the room was the wooden ceiling and an antique wooden piece carefully preserved (included in the wall). The less convenient part was that there is no elevator and it is difficult to manage a heavy suitcase on the stairs. Breakfast was good, typical for a 3* hotel.
I have mixed feelings about the reception personnel. The man in charge when I reached Turin (9 pm on April 29) did not seem to know anything. He did not accept my payment (he did close the cashier's desk, that should have been available next day starting at…4 am), he could not say anything about restaurants open at the time in the area (note: there are several on the same street, one even named Urbani), he did not know how to reach the Lingotto train station, he did not know how much a taxi should cost to Lingotto, and generally he showed clearly that he is not willing to help.
Things changed completely in the morning, when the lady at the reception welcomed me with a smile and answered all my questions in a minute, offering additional information; she solved all my problems in no time.
About the location: the hotel is near Porta Nuova train station (5 min walk); there is a 15 minutes walk to the city center, on the main shopping street of Turin, via Roma. The area immediately near the hotel is quite grim, but it did not look unsafe even at around 11:30 pm.
I paid 57 eur/night for a single and I consider it as fair. I'll recommend the hotel for budget travelers, especially due to its convenient location.
Alia_Aliena

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Bari
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Urbani just one night, but it was enough to appreciate the absolute cleanness of the rooms and communal parts, the kindness of the young staff and the central position that characterise this hotel. The room was comfortable with a nice view of the courtyard; the bathroom was large and there was plenty of toiletries and towels. Breakfast ok, with a good choice of food and beverage. Absolutely recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

You get what you pay for. This hotel is cheap, clean and has a great location. Don't expect anything more : staff is not very welcoming nor helpful , rooms are small, no special view either. They stripped down the breakfast concept to a strict minimum. I suppose i'll go to the Victoria next time, but this hotel could be considered if you are on a budget.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Coimbra, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

The location of the hotel is good: a quiet street, three minutes from the railway station Porta Nueva which is served by many buses and the subway (the subway was not running between Porta Susa and Porta Nuova, at the time of writing). The hotel is clean and fairly appointed. However the room that was given to me was not pleasant: it was not in the main building but in an annex on the back yard. That was not pleasant at all. The room was dark and the window overlooked the yard which is ugly and sloppy. A bizarre detail: I was woken up every morning, between 7 and 7:30, by someone singing Neapolitan songs loudly It was always the same male voice (not bad, I must say) and it seemed to come from a flat in the building next to the hotel.
The breakfast was not remarkable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Wow--this hotel marks the first time I really disagree with the majority of TA reviewers. Overall, I didn't enjoy my stay at the Urbani and would not consider recommending it to anyone or staying thier again myself.

The positives:
--Great location around the corner from the Main Train Station. Contrary to some reviewers, I felt totally safe in the area. We were a group of seven women ranging in age from 59 to 80 and none of us ever felt the least bit uncomfortable or unsafe. I was told by some American expatriates that the undesirable apects of the area are being pushed out by gentrification so I concluded that as time has gone by the area has kept improving.
--The hotel is very clean.
--The room itself provides good value for your money.

Unfortunately, for me the positives are far outweighed by the negatives:
--Most of the staff is helpful, but the woman who staffed the front desk during the day was a real sourpuss.
--The breakfast was unremarkable but fine. However, the women who staffed the breakfast room were apparently under orders to strictly police the guests and ensure not a morsel of food is removed from the breakfast room. On my second morning, I took a container of yogurt to my room for a late night snack and was told in no uncertain terms to knock it off. I have never encountered anything like this. You'd have thought I was removing enough to feed an army.
--My first room was adjoined to another by a door, and through this door, I could hear every single word and sound made by my neighbors. After one night of this I was ready to lose my mind and the next morning I requested to be moved to another room. The sour woman at the reception desk was not at all happy about my request, but I persisted and she finally agreed to move me. The next room was just fine with regard to privacy.
--The topping on the cake occurred on the third night. When we returned to the hotel after being out for the whole day, we discovered that two walls in the room of one of our group members had been painted while she was out! There was no advance notice or request. Apparently, painters were roaming about the hotel painting occupied rooms while the guests were out. I find this to be incredible. Does management consider that a guest may be allergic or may find sleeping in a closet sized freshly painted room nauseating? And what precautions were taken with the guests' belongings?
--One other oddity (or maybe it is standard in all hotels, in which case I'm going to think twice before using room safes). Some of my friends were having trouble unlocking the safes in their rooms to retrieve their valuables. Not to worry--the front desk merely dispatches a member of the housekeeping staff to your room to use a special code to open your safe. In fact, my friend observed how simple it was and if she wanted to , could have checked out the contnets of every safe in the hotel.

Thr Urbani is one weird place. With so many lovely and warm family run hotels in Torino, why choose the Urbani.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Urbani? Share your experiences!