“Great location, modern and clean surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

Art Hotel Boston
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Massena 70, 10128 Turin, Italy (Crocetta)   |
Ranked #58 of 128 hotels in Turin
chicago
“Great location, modern and clean surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Very clean, quiet room. Windows opened up into a courtyard of private residents so it gives you a peak of local life, especially on weekend mornings. Went for Terre Madre conference and was able to get around very easily by tram. The only complaint is that the desk staff sometimes seemed a little cold when asking for local recommendations. Only one public computer so can wait at times.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

This hotel was really nice. Our room was good too but we chose a standard room so I'm sure there are nicer rooms, but we had really large bed, and it was really clean so we were happy.

I think it's slightly too far out to walk into the city centre although we didn't try it as my partner was in crutches but it's 1km to Porto Nuova station and 2km to the city centre. When we asked at reception how to get into the centre, we had a little miscommunication. We were told to get the number 4 bus and we were also told that the trams do not go into the city centre. But, in fact, what they guy called a bus, I would call a tram and I think when we asked about the trams, he thought we meant the metro as they do not go to the city centre.

So, you can get the no. 4 tram into the city centre (the guy in reception showed us on a map where to get it) - it takes less than 10 minutes and the Garibaldi stop is a good one to get off at, right next to Piazza Castello. The same tram also runs past Porto Nuevo station.

There is a lovely garden at the hotel, which we relaxed in one evening with a nice bottle of wine. The buffet was quite nice too.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

The hotel seems to be good, but I have seen very little of it. When checking-in I was informed that my room was "outside". Then I have been led out of the main entrance around the building to a separate entry which was a normal main door on a isolate dark street. Lucky me it was not raining! No cameras, no surveillance. I have been led through 3 doors and then to the door of my room, ground floor. The room was quite big for the Italian standards, clean, good bathroom. But I felt in some way "unsafe", far from the reception, not watched. If something happens to you just outside the main door or between the doors I guess you can stay there almost forever. This was my feeling when entering the building.
The next morning I had to be completely dressed to go out of my room, to walk throught the 3 doors, to go around the building, to enter the hotel hall, to go down one floor to reach the breakfast room, and then undress and have a breakfast. Well, it was not raining or the experience could have been less "funny". The breakfast is average. Nothing special, don't expect too much. Not a 4 star hotel breakfast.
The hotel has a restaurant with a separate entrance. Again you have to dress completely before exiting, going few steps on the left and reach the restaurant. There is not an entry from the hotel.
The staff was professional. Again nothing special.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Modena, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

The hotel is located in a quiet street just south of the central train station. The check in was speedy and seamless.
The attention given to us from the front desk (family w/ 2 kids) was surprising. Mr. EMAD at the front desk was helpful and patient with us for the entire stay. The room (superior triple) was clean, roomy, stylish and comfortable. The mattress was a bit to hard on my back... but better this way then the opposite!
There is a tram stop that takes you to the center 2 minutes walk from the hotel.
I'd definitely go back next time I travel to Turin.
Have fun is you go, and make sure you don't miss the Museo del Cinema, it's interesting and the location is unique (inside the Mole Antonelliana).
Buon Viaggio, Sandro

• Liked — art setting and frienldiness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cardiff
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

We spent one night in this hotel in September 2007 and after booking a theme room, we were put in a standard room by mistake. After checking with the reception staff we were moved into a movie themed room with a drop down screen and projector (that did not work). The room was nice but we felt the hotel in general was style over substance. The staff at reception were not very helpful or interested, although the bar staff and breakfast staff were better. Overall I would not stay here again, especially as it is about a 20min walk to the centre of town.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Be aware of a little "game " that the manager and female receptionist play on unsuspecting tourists - we booked a "Last minute.com " deal for a two night stay at the Art Hotel Boston (odd name considering it's in Turin) - we were meeting up with friends and decided to treat ourselves to a superior double room as it was only for two nights.
When we arrived the receptionist asked us if it was the first time we had stayed at the Hotel, unfortunately we admitted it was and she gave us the key for room 201 - the manager, escorted us to the room but we were dismayed to see it was next door to the lift and it was small with beige bedding and very plainly decorated. My husband asked for another room as we are both light sleepers and didn't fancy being disturbed by the lift all night; he reluctantly showed us another room, 207, which was equally small with the same beige bedding and little in the way of decoration - identical to the first dull room in fact. When I questioned whether this was a superior I was told that it was. I asked about the parquet flooring as the superior rooms were supposed to have it - the manager insisted that none of the rooms had parquet flooring - I said the superiors were supposed to be individually designed not identical - he tried insisting they were individual - I asked what the standard rooms were like then in comparison and he said they were smaller - if they really were smaller they wouldn't have fitted a double bed in them. I didn't believe him and my husband told him we were extremely disappointed with the room as the descriptions of the superior rooms had sounded so good. He asked the manager if he could find a better room. "I'd love to upgrade you to an art theme room but they are all booked," he said. Again I told him we didn't want an upgrade we just wanted the superior double we had booked and again, he insisted that this miserable tiny room with it's lino flooring and and nondescript decor was a superior. My husband said we were going out for a bite to eat and he hoped that the manager would find us something better by the time we got back.
Sure enough when we arrived back in the evening the night receptionist said we had been upgraded , "At no extra cost" and gave us a new set of keys for room 412 - unfortunately for the manager , he hadn't filled in this receptionist on the "game" and when we asked the receptionist if room 207 was a standard, he said it was and that we were now in a superior room - the room we had actually booked and paid for - with the parquet flooring the manager had said none of the rooms had , and with an individually themed and rather beautiful decor - totally unlike the dull standard rooms he had tried to fob us off with.
So don't tell them it's your first time in the hotel and bring a printed description of the rooms with you so you know what you're getting and stand your ground and insist on getting the room you booked. I was so angry that he and the female receptionist had tried to pull a fast one on us.
That said, the breakfast staff were lovely and the public areas are fabulous - it's like visiting a small art gallery and spotting all the famous pieces - shame the receptionist and the manager are a pair of hard faced schemers - without them the visit would have been lovely and Turin is a real eye opener; brilliant cafes and good shopping - it's also the Italian capital for contemporary art which is very much in evidence all over the city.

• Liked — Art in the public areas
  • Disliked — the manager and the female receptionist
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Orange, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

I got a fairly good price for one of the art deco rooms and was very happy, the room was a little small but the room was very modern and clean, with an excellent bathroom.

We arrived about 8 hours late, had BA lose our luggage on top of that, so when we arrived we were a bit stressed out, it was after midnight and couldn't find anywhere to eat nearby (it seems more a residential than touristy area). While the kitchen was closed, the barman was happy to fix us what they refer to as 'toast' - a cheese and ham toastie basically - and some apperitivi (the Torinese custom of serving free snacks at bar in the early evening, which can almost be used to skip dinner!). We ate outside in the nice garden area out the back of the hotel and allowed us to just chill out.

Our luggage turned up three days later but thoughout that time the reception helped with getting in touch with airlines, airports, etc. Not all the staff have perfect English which is not surprising, but when I did have any trouble communicating were able to get someone more fluent.

Food wise I only ate at the restuarant there the once and though nice, felt it was expensive. If you pay for breakfast make use of it, there is a lot of choice and it's all very good.

The only real downside is that it's about 15mins walk from Porta Nuova train station and the middle of the city, there are very good tram links though so get a Torino card and travel for free.

Although nothing to do with the hotel, just a quick warning - my girlfriend almost got pickpocketed outside the train station, she felt a slight tug on her bag and saw the kids hand in her bag just in time. Despite this though Torino is a wonderful city to visit with a lot of great things to do and places to visit.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable and cool
  • Disliked — Location is 15mins walk from City Centre (but with good tram links)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Art Hotel Boston? Share your experiences!