“Not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #120 of 129 Hotels in Turin
Denmark
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

No internet access, the receptionists were not very service-minded, the room was okay but a lamp on the nightstand was not working and when I asked assistance with the lamp I was told they would take care of it...never happened though. The bed was fine. The only thing on the TV was Italian talk shows with a young blond woman and an old gentleman speaking nothing but Italian.
The locations was fine but drug dealers and prostitutes were right outside the front door, and the noise from the street was terrible - Sunday morning at 7 am the garbage truck woke me up - like every other morning!
The breakfast was ok - nothing fancy, lacking several things that makes a nice breakfast. E.g. the bread was dry, no yoghurt, the tea-selection was two different kinds of tea and no lids for the teapots/coffeepots...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Negatives: The Hotel Due Mondi failed my expectation! I was expecting a better service, at least a standard quality for the 100€ charged but hotel well-below average. Upon arrival in our room, heavy cigarette smoke smell. No option was given to us as a customer to either change rooms, go to another hotel otherwise we would be charged for one night. Finally after heavy complaints, they decided to change the room. Only when we thought it was going to be better, NO. Double room have connected twin mattresses not properly secured and splits during the night, the tap water in the bathroom clogged, breakfast in the morning quite terrible and EVEN the coffee and fruits. For one night in Torino, my friends and I rented two rooms and in either case the hotel have failed in our expectation. They do not even have a proper client log with payment status and double charge my friend when I already paid for both rooms before.

2 positives: location and bathroom cleanlinness ok

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Awful experience! I found bed-bugs in my bed and I have been bite....I have been there the 7th of September.I do not think they have made any pest control. Anyway HIGHLY NO RACCOMENDED!
Daniela Ziglioli

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

OK - the good stuff first. 1. Location is very central and most sites are no more than a very leisurely 15/20 minute stroll. 2. Standard room bed was very comfortable. 3. Breakfast is generous by many standards - but not the best quality, still more than adequate.
So - the bad stuff. 1. Unlike many website advertisements, Internet is NOT free. 2. Standard rooms are smallish & OLD. Bedside lamps literally fell out of the wall when trying to turn them on & nearly electrocuted my wife. 3. Our early June visit corresponded with a somewhat unseasonal heat wave of over 30 degrees each day. The advertised Air Conditioning was pitiful. I know there are special regulations in Italy regarding the use of air conditioning in hotels, so I can reserve some judgement here - nonetheless it did not make for a pleasant night's sleep and none of the staff where all that interested in helping. 4. The staff are mostly ambivalent about the guests. I speak passable Italian and even this did not help - one exception, there is a lovely young lady who was very pleasant and eager to assist - thank god for her!!! 5. The area is not salubrious, but unlike other reviewers, we had no problems and did not feel threatened or in danger in any way. Turin has a large Arabic population and many live/ work around this area. 5. In some reviews (esp. Lonely Planet) they suggest that all the rooms are very spacious and include either a sauna or spa in the bathroom. This is incorrect for standard rooms. The "deluxe" rooms are larger, nicer and have these features (I snuck a look when the maid wasn't looking), but standard rooms are on the wrong side of the old & outdated. 6. Cleanliness wasn't great. We had no problems with sheets & towels and the initial impression was the room was clean if grubby from wear & tear. However under the bed was very dusty, a thick veneer. On top of the wall mounted TV there was a thick layer of dust. Inside the air conditioner - around the compressor, there was so much dust I wondered if this was in fact the real reason the air conditioner. 7. Service - small things like no toilet paper when we arrived. Poor, poor, poor. Breakfast was OK, but again the replenishment of some items was slow. Trying to get some tourist information from front desk staff was not easy.
Summary: There is no one single thing which makes the standard rooms here bad, but there are a collection of many smaller issues which mean its hard to recommend this hotel to anyone. Perhaps 1 or 2 nights in spring or autumn when its not too hot or cold and if you really need to be close to the Porta Nuova railway station. But really, I would look for other options if possible OR if money is less of an issue, go for a Deluxe room as these seemed to eliminate most of the negative issues we experienced.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

The room was smelly and old, needs renovation. I felt myself as in old James Bond film looking at outdated control panel next to the bed. Towels in bathroom looked ans smells(!) dirty and seemed to be used before.
Breakfast with one plate of cheapest ham and cheese, dry as a bone bread.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Kansas City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

I should have listened to the other recommendations. I spent two weeks in Italy and experienced about 12 different hotels. This was, far and away, my worst experience. The hotel was undergoing some sort of renovation. As a result, the sign was covered with scaffolding. Despite repeated calls to the hotel asking for directions, I was only given the address and never informed that the reason the hotel couldn't be found was that it was buried in scaffolding. The hotel's website also claimed to have available parking. Unfortunately, I was never notified that, because of the renovations, the parking was eliminated. As a result, I was on my own for parking. If you've ever driven into Turin, you know that this is a huge undertaking and expensive. Worst still, parking involved me traversing a section of town that felt very unsafe. As you can see, the service was horrible. The room was very unimpressive and uncomforable. As stated in other recommendations, the breakfast was horrible. Many other hotels in Turin - check out one of them and avoid this place!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

The hotel was awful from the start. After arriving exhausted in Torino, I had to wait outside the hotel from noon to 19:00hs because my room "wasn't ready yet". I should used this time to find another hotel, because things just went downhill. The room was tiny and murky, the TV didn't work and there was no remote, the window didn't have any muffler probably so that I could hear the drunk teens shouting around the whole night down the street. The bathroom was equipped with a fully cracked and broken sink that seemed to be constantly mended since the 19th century. The toilet cover was loose and you couldn't sit without slipping (not that I would sit anywhere on that bathroom). There were dry blood spills on the bed sheets. Would you like to complain? The manager is never reachable, and the receptionist is unhelpful and bordering intimidation. Would you like to change hotels? Unfortunately it's already 20:00hs, hotels around are all full, I'm worn out, I don't know the neighborhood, check mate. The price for this nightmare? A bargain, for "only" 89 euros (yes, that included the laughable breakfast containing a machine-made coffee and a burned dry bread). Oh, and there was no responsible person like a manager or owner to complain on the next morning, they were probably planning on how to provide the worst ever service for the following night. And, to tie things up, they sent me to the opposite direction when I asked where the Palazzo Reale was. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Due Mondi? Share your experiences!