“Old Fashioned - Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Dogana Vecchia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Via Corte D'appello, 10122 Turin, Italy (Centro)   |
Ranked #94 of 127 Hotels in Turin
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Old Fashioned - Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

For me, a short break hotel has to be in a good location for the sights and sounds of a city, and the Dogana Vecchia 'Mozart' Hotel in Turin is in just that.

My chosen way to the hotel was by Sadem coach transfer which was 12 euros for a return trip to Porta Susa station, and then from there it was about 9 euros each way for a taxi to the hotel which was about a 5/10 minute drive.

Unfortunately, it was a strict 3pm check in, despite hoping to get in a little earlier after our 11.30 arrival, but we could leave our cases so we could go off and explore.

The main piazza is about 5/10 minute walk from the hotel - The shops on Garibaldi were just a couple of minutes away and there were plenty of restaurants from anything within a 1/2 minute walk away from the hotel, in every direction. A lot of the churches, Palace and big old buildings of Turin were again a few minutes walk away.

The hotel building is very old and the general decor matched. The corridors reflected this as did the breakfast room. For me, the hotel has character

The room was nice, old fashioned as you would expect, reasonably comfy with en-suite bathroom which accommodated a shower. The bedroom also had a mini bar, tv. I think the rooms are of all different styles so it would be impossible to note the general decor.

The only gripe I would have, and I do appreciate the hotel is an old building, but the floor boards from the room above were ridiculously creaky and very loud. This isn't such a problem in the day, but if the occupant above decides to walk about in the small hours, you can hear it.

The breakfast was excellent and plenty of it. Meats, cheeses, cereals, pastries, hot and cold beverages, cakes etc etc etc... 7-10am - very good.

Sorted out a taxi for us on the return.

All in all, recommended for it's great location, character and breakfast!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Ravensburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Located very centrally.
Great dining places just around the corner (regional cuisine) and a great coffee place next door - try the bicerin!
Very helpful and friendly staff.
Italian-style breakfast but great cappuccino. Breakfast room dedicated to Mozart who stayed at the hotel with his father. A bit of a Mozart cult...
Rooms okay, standard category is truly basic, in the higher category you may find painted blue cats on the walls.
Guarded parking available.
Perfect place to discover the beautiful city of Turino on foot.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We were a bit disappointed as this hotel claimed to be a 3 star. It was nice to think that we walked the halls that Mozart had walked when he stayed here all those years ago but the place really looks like it needs a bit of a dusting, sprucing up and freshening up. We had a large room on the 1st floor looking onto the street so we were able to let some fresh air in. But t-he outdoor shutters looked like they hadn't been cleaned since Mozart's stay. When we got to the room we noticed a puddle of water on the bathroom floor and coming into the bedroom. Called reception who suggested it probably just hadn't been dried properly after the clean. Fortunately the lady that came to have a look called the maintenance man who found that the hand basin was leaking quite a lot and he was able to fix it. The bathroom had several cracked tiles which meant there was some mould in these areas. The whole place just didn't have the feeling of being as clean an we expect a 3 star hotel to be. The breakfast room was beautiful but I don't think the seats have been re-upholstered since Mozart's stay. The selection of food was good but wondered if the same stuff was put out each day.
All in all quite expensive for what it is but the location is very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is 500 years old and once had very famous guests such as Mozart, Verdi and Napoleon Bonaparte. I wondered if their ghosts would once in awhile visit their old "stomping grounds". The ambience of Mozart is everywhere in the hotel. I was so impressed with the dining room with its sculptured and painted ceiling.

Pros:
Very nice breakfast buffet. Staff is constantly cleaning the tables and replenishing food items.

Friendly and helpful front desk staff, especially Giovanni and the porter. Wish I could remember the porter's name because he deserves so much credit.

I was loaned an adapter to use for my laptop. A different type is needed for Italy.
Excellent Internet

You can't beat the location. Close to restaurants, shopping and historic sights.

Comfortable bed and bedding. Sometimes the mattress would slide a little because there is a piece of plywood under it. That was not a problem. I just slid the mattress back to where it belonged.

My room had solid wooden window-doors that kept out light or were very nice to open for fresh air. If you opened them, it could be noisy during the day. Truly, I thought they were a nice touch and made me feel the historic value of this hotel.

Furnishings were lovely. Floor was wood. I loved the soft blue used in decorating the room. Even the desk chair was upholstered. I could work on my laptop very comfortably.

Bathroom with tiled wall (some tiles had flowers on them which was a nice touch).
Bidet in bathroom.
Towels were not scratchy (they have been at many hotels on my trip).
There were slippers if you needed them and other amenities that would have been appreciated if I had needed them.

Air Conditioning worked very well.

Mini-bar with average prices as in other hotels.

There is an elevator that works very well.

Large closet with drawers and hanging space.

Key is left at desk when you leave the hotel. Be sure to remember that you left it there. Once I got to my room and had to go back down to the lobby to get my key.

Cons;
Doors slam in hallway. They are heavy doors and guests don't take the time to close them quietly. So even though your room is quiet, the hallway is not. Maybe a sign would help as you enter the hallway would remind the guests to quietly close their doors.
Lighting in hall way comes on when you enter however, I wish that it would light the halls when you open the door because you step out into darkness until the lights come on.

Television worked well however, there is supposed to be an English channel. It never was available. Instead there was another program in Italian.

Shower doors were plastic and do not open very wide.

There was only 1 outlet in my room to plug in my computer. It was on the wall across from my desk. I had to step over it to use the bathroom however, this was really not a problem. I was careful not to trip on the power cord.

The Hotel Dogana Vecchia is a lovely 3 Star hotel. I would stay there again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Eze, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed a couple of nights in this Hotels, with 2 kids. The good : excellent location, you can go everywhere walking, the breakfast was very good, the people working there were helpful. The Bad : housekeeping was questionable with quite some dust everywhere. We had the misfortune of getting a room on the street, the noise level was really high. In my room, the furniture look really dated, the beds squeak horribly every time someone was moving; You need 6-7 minutes before the water gets hot...then it's boiling (what a waste). The wifi works only if you stand by the door.
All in all I have been quite disappointed by the hotel itself, the price is not cheap and you would expect a little more comfort (beds, dual pane window, etc.) at that range. if it wasn't for the location and the breakfast, I would not recommend it.

Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

having stayed in this Hotel several times ,was very, very disappointed to be shunted into the back annexe into a miserable apology of a rooom , sort of Hotel terminus, circa 1950!. Wifi hardly reached us. Reception staff not at all interested and to add insult to injury at breakfast, in their large empty open space the staff tried to oblige us to take a small corner table so they didn't have to walk so far!! we could have been alerted to the change of room but no, just had to accept it having arrived at 9pm!! no apology, no nothing! Just a pity that the Hotel Liberty changed its location as that was always a very nice place to stay

Room Tip: dont bother