“Modern, Spacious, Clean, disappointing breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Principi di Piemonte
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Gobetti 15 | (Torino Centro), 10123 Turin, Italy   |
Ranked #7 of 128 hotels in Turin
Worksop, United Kingdom
“Modern, Spacious, Clean, disappointing breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

The hotel is very well situated in the centre of the city. The rooms are reasonably spacious (for a central hotel in a European city) and very well furnished. A large flat-screen TV is provided. Toiletries are of good standard and the en-suite bathroom is well appointed. The air-conditioning was very effective and, unusually, virtually silent. I am happy to recommend this hotel on the basis of location and accomodation.

The only area in which it disappointed was at Breakfast. This is a self-service buffet where there was a functional selection of pastries, cereals fruit and bakery items. But, sadly (whilst not unusual) the very limited choice of three "hot" items were kept in warmers that were not up to the job and the food was therefore barely tepid.

Our package tour included a dinner on arrival. Because of the lateness, I only partook of the first course - Lasagne - which I thought was excellent. Other members of the group reported that the other courses were good, too. Given the circumstances, I would guess that this bodes well for the restaurant.

On the limited basis of our one night here, I'd assess this hotel as a reasonable choice.

• Stayed August 2010

487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Well renovated Art Deco building, central location, large and very comfortable rooms (I especially lked the bed linen and the large marble bathroom), good spa area.

The problem is that the hotel is managed by a local chain (ATA) that is probably not used to running luxury hotels: no doorman present when I arrived with the baggage, inefficient staff at the reception, unprofessional staff at breakfast, no staff at all in the spa, no list of services in the room, etc. To be fair, I stayed at the hotel when it was still managed by Jolly, and the service was not better.

I did not have lunch or dinner at the hotel, but breakfast is a very standard Italian-style buffet (but no freshly squeezed juices, Hero jams, no healthy options) served by poorly trained staff who were mostly talking with each other in the kitchen and spoke poor English (also true for the rest of the staff).

This is probably the best option in central Turin for the moment, at least for business, and it is much better than the dated Sitea around the corner (managed by THI, also with a poor record in my experience). The Principi di Piemonte is good value for the quality of the room but average for the quality of the service and hospitality.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
North East of England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

This was my second stay at the Hotel after what was previously a very good experience. For this second stay I did book via Expedia and, like many others, I had to deal with a certain ash cloud...
Knowing that I won't reach the Hotel for my first night I phoned them to make sure the entire booking won't be cancelled. I was redirected to the ATA Hotels booking centre: the person on the phone seemed more concerned to notify that I will have to pay for the no-show on the first night (which I can understand and I was not challenging) than to answer my inquiry. Things got a bit sour when I repeated it, with the guy somehow losing his temper (no comment!). He however reassured me that the booking for the second night will be maintained.
Upon arrival the booking could not be retrieved until I mentioned that I arrived one day late, and still required intervention by a duty manager, generating some delay (we were however offered drinks at the bar). Same thing at check-out when I was quoted a price including the room charge which had been paid already, requiring another check by another duty manager, and more delays.
Check-out was totally inefficient: 15 minutes to get luggage and car back from the car park!
The Hotel is certainly in a perfect location and rooms are modern, clean and recently refurbished. Anything to do with booking, checking in and out was in my experience completely disorganised and absolutely not to standards (as you can imagine this is not a low-cost hotel). This stay was disappointing (you have to consider that I travelled for over 20 hours to get there by train/car) and I'll be looking for another Hotel for my next stay in Turin.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Torino
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

Together with my girlfriend we granted a night in this magnificent hotel to enjoy a moment of relaxation in our city. Even for those who know Turin since a life here you can find the essence of the city: fine elegance, excellent food for breakfast and dinner (and fantastic chocolates in the room), a magnificent view of the city from the top (asking to have a room with a view to the Mole, I was more than satisfied), history unparalleled, and in the morning you are directly in the beautiful shopping street Via Roma. And most of all, prices are really really really interesting!! I was unexpectedly charmed!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Whenever in Italy, I would always go for hotels that are decorated in the traditional Classic style, eg Grand Hotel Sitea and Hotel Victoria in Turin. However, after reading glowing reviews of this Hotel on Tripadvisor.com , and the Hotel being available through Luxurylink.com's bidding system, I decided to go for it, and luckily we did so ... with no regrets or whatsoever!

Since a few years ago, I had already bought guidebooks on Turin but had never found the chance to visit this charming city due to its way out location (much further from cities like Venice, Florence and Rome). When the chance came recently, I opted for a 4 nights stay, with 3 here and 1 at the Hotel Victoria (see my other review).

Once we arrive from Lake Orta at the Porta Nuova station, we simply walked 300m northwards and found the Hotel Principi very easily (a 11 or 12 storeys, 1930's building). The ever helpful and charming, Ms Carmen, helped to check us in. I enquired about a possible upgrade to their famous Junior suite view (corner units) and voila, its only a 80 euros increment over the Deluxe rooms, per room, per night.

When we enter our designated room 803, we were simply blown away! The extra 80 euros a night is worth every single euro - a good 40 sq m of separated bedroom and sitting room, spacious bathroom with a marble tub and big shower compartment - all with a view through each window! We could even see the icon of Turin, the Mole, very clearly!

All modern cons are also available - Sky TV with tons of English channels, night light, sufficient lightings, dinning table with 2 arm chairs, comfy sofa with two huge flat screen TVs etc. And the whole bathroom is also covered in nice brown marbles, very luxurious! Last but not the least, the bed was not only huge, but very comfy, too ... important for jet lagged and sick people ...

But the real GEM of the Hotel has to be Ms Carmen! We fell sick and suffered from a bad form of food poisoning, and Ms Carmen had helped to recommend nearby pharmacies, call for a doctor to visit us, translate the prescriptions etc etc. She just couldn't do enough for us, and telling us to inform her if we still should need anything else? How touched!

Breakfasts was pretty good, too, with hot scrambled eggs, sausages, ham and bacon - a spread that is usually expected of any good Hotels. Staff all speak very good English and are very helpful in giving out directions and advices, they are all great!

The Hotel, being tall and prominent, is really very easy to locate, near tons of shopping and food outlets, even a Chinese restaurant called Zhen Bao. But being in the centre of the action, has it price, that even on the highest 8th floor, with most windows shut, we could still hear windows smashing, car sirens blaring, police turning up etc on a Saturday night. Other than that night, it was all quiet enough for a good night's sleep.

Some small but unimportant glitches of staying here are -
1. wifi is charged at 15 euros for 8 hours or 25 for 24 hours. However, we still had to use our hand phones to receive emails.
2. no tea/coffee making facilites and free fruit plate even in the suites.
3. uninspiring decor in the Hotel's common areas.
4. very slight wear and tear since its last renovation was in 2006.
5. smaller Health Centre (we didn't use it as we were very sick)

Overall, although there is not much charm factor here, we had a wonderful stay here, recuperating from our food poisoning. Since the bed here is much more comfy than the Hotel Victoria, we were so glad we spend our first 3 nights at this better located and modern Business Hotel.
Cheers to Carmen, hope she enjoyed our complimentary Red wine!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010 via mobile

Overall it should be all right for most of the travellers, but the service level at the breakfast is appalling. I am stii staying two more nights here, but it makres me depressed thinking about the breakfast which starts your day.

No one came to ask us coffee or tea. We had to ask each time. Watch out the seat where you will find remain of the food from those previous guests. Empty plates never taken when you have three dirty dishes on the table. Staff just ignore them. When you order a second coffee, the staff never ask about your friends sitting together even if the cups are empty. No refill of the empty food at the buffe unless you ask and are patient enough to wait for at least 30 minutes.

Turin is a beautiful city which we loved, but we hated the hotel just because of the breakfast. I cannot believe such useless staff are employed there.

• Stayed March 2010
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

Very nice spacious and comfortable rooms. Wonder staff.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Principi di Piemonte? Share your experiences!