Whenever in Italy, I would always go for hotels that are decorated in the traditional Classic style, eg Grand Hotel Sitea and Hotel Victoria in Turin. However, after reading glowing reviews of this Hotel on Tripadvisor.com , and the Hotel being available through Luxurylink.com's bidding system, I decided to go for it, and luckily we did so ... with no regrets or whatsoever!
Since a few years ago, I had already bought guidebooks on Turin but had never found the chance to visit this charming city due to its way out location (much further from cities like Venice, Florence and Rome). When the chance came recently, I opted for a 4 nights stay, with 3 here and 1 at the Hotel Victoria (see my other review).
Once we arrive from Lake Orta at the Porta Nuova station, we simply walked 300m northwards and found the Hotel Principi very easily (a 11 or 12 storeys, 1930's building). The ever helpful and charming, Ms Carmen, helped to check us in. I enquired about a possible upgrade to their famous Junior suite view (corner units) and voila, its only a 80 euros increment over the Deluxe rooms, per room, per night.
When we enter our designated room 803, we were simply blown away! The extra 80 euros a night is worth every single euro - a good 40 sq m of separated bedroom and sitting room, spacious bathroom with a marble tub and big shower compartment - all with a view through each window! We could even see the icon of Turin, the Mole, very clearly!
All modern cons are also available - Sky TV with tons of English channels, night light, sufficient lightings, dinning table with 2 arm chairs, comfy sofa with two huge flat screen TVs etc. And the whole bathroom is also covered in nice brown marbles, very luxurious! Last but not the least, the bed was not only huge, but very comfy, too ... important for jet lagged and sick people ...
But the real GEM of the Hotel has to be Ms Carmen! We fell sick and suffered from a bad form of food poisoning, and Ms Carmen had helped to recommend nearby pharmacies, call for a doctor to visit us, translate the prescriptions etc etc. She just couldn't do enough for us, and telling us to inform her if we still should need anything else? How touched!
Breakfasts was pretty good, too, with hot scrambled eggs, sausages, ham and bacon - a spread that is usually expected of any good Hotels. Staff all speak very good English and are very helpful in giving out directions and advices, they are all great!
The Hotel, being tall and prominent, is really very easy to locate, near tons of shopping and food outlets, even a Chinese restaurant called Zhen Bao. But being in the centre of the action, has it price, that even on the highest 8th floor, with most windows shut, we could still hear windows smashing, car sirens blaring, police turning up etc on a Saturday night. Other than that night, it was all quiet enough for a good night's sleep.
Some small but unimportant glitches of staying here are -
1. wifi is charged at 15 euros for 8 hours or 25 for 24 hours. However, we still had to use our hand phones to receive emails.
2. no tea/coffee making facilites and free fruit plate even in the suites.
3. uninspiring decor in the Hotel's common areas.
4. very slight wear and tear since its last renovation was in 2006.
5. smaller Health Centre (we didn't use it as we were very sick)
Overall, although there is not much charm factor here, we had a wonderful stay here, recuperating from our food poisoning. Since the bed here is much more comfy than the Hotel Victoria, we were so glad we spend our first 3 nights at this better located and modern Business Hotel.
Cheers to Carmen, hope she enjoyed our complimentary Red wine!
- Also Known As:
- Principi Di Piemonte Turin
- Principi Di Piemonte Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Principi di Piemonte is a key feature of the elegant city of Turin,with its history echoing throughout its rooms. The imposing building dominates the streets of the city center, offering the most comfortable setting for your stay in the capital of Piedmont. Its elegance and attractive details go hand in hand with a wide range of services and marked customer-focus. This hotel is perfect for guests seeking sophistication, accommodating those traveling for business, those wishing to experience the city’s art and culture or join in the dynamic city life, as well as those seeking well being and relaxation. HOTEL: 99 rooms divided into Deluxe, Junior Suite, Junior Suite View, Suite,Diplomatic Suite, Executive Suite and Presidential Suite. Non-smoking rooms. Rooms available for disabled guests. Communicating rooms. Rooms with non-allergenic furnishings and pet friendly rooms. Rooms with panoramic view. Restaurant and Bar. SPA & WELLNESS: An exclusive Wellness Center, reserved only to the hotel’s Guests.There you will find the indoor heated pool, the wonderful relaxing lounge with its precious mosaics, emotional showers, an elegant Turkish bath decorated in a Tunisian style and a wide and comfortable Finnish sauna. Sportsmen will also find an excellent gym, equipped with state-of-the art fitness technology and two massage rooms with music and chrome therapy systems. MEETINGS, CONFERENCES & EVENTS: 7 meeting rooms. Plenary room with 220 seats. Banquet rooms for standing cocktails for up to 350 people. Rooms with parquet and carpeting. 3 rooms with 6 m ceilings. Exhibition area. Dedicated areas with modular rooms to accommodate any kind of event. Dedicated menus and original decorations based on each type of event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Otel, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Hotel Principi di Piemonte reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.