“Very nice apartment, not so great neighborhood.” 3 of 5 stars

VitaminaM Bed & Breakfast
Via Belfiore 18, 10125 Turin, Italy (San Salvario)   |
Ranked #28 of 161 Turin B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Very nice apartment, not so great neighborhood.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

PROS:
Very nice & Stylish apartment. It definitely makes you feel welcome, and encourages you to hang out in the living room.
The staff (we dealt with Francesco) was very nice, very helpful, and accommodating.
Beds were comfortable. Came with breakfast.
Close to the rail station and the metro stop.

CONS:
It's on the, what Europeans call, 4th floor (Americans would call 5th floor) with NO elevator. So every time you come home, you have to walk up 4 flights of stairs. And if you have a lot of heavy bags... prepare yourself.
It's in a very sketchy neighborhood. The first night we got there, we walked to dinner and encountered several different groups of sketchy looking guys and more homeless people than I could count. Well, that was the last time we walked anywhere near our building after dark. If we came back late, we always took a cab.
And lastly, our room smelled of B.O. (bad Body Odor). I couldn't figure out for the life of me where it came from, but every few minutes both my wife would smell it, and we went nuts trying to figure out if it was in the sheets, or the pillows, or the comforter... we never got to the bottom of it. I'm still very curious where that smell came from?!! And it was every night and just in our room. The living room was fine, so naturally we spent most of our waking moments in there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stylish, comfortable and friendly bolt-hole in central Turin. Three rooms all with well-equipped real bathrooms. Great hospitality from Marco and Francesco, and good breakfast offerings, not usually an Italian strongpoint. Having lived in Turin previously we were a bit wary of the location, near to Porta Nuova railway station. The surrounding area is however experiencing a renaissance as is Turin itself from a tourist viewpoint. Transport links are good, best not to bring a car, although there are private underground garages nearby. The test for me is "Would we go back?", the answer is most definately "Yes".

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Inside is such a surprise- there is a light airy White room with red decorations, an elegant 70s red leather chaise longue and other quirky items. The room I stayed in had air con, space, was spotless and had a full length bath with spa. Breakfast generous and personalised. Marco the owner so helpful and polite he even drove me to the station. They are hoping to get a lift- it is up four floors- but it
is a wonderful place, like living in Turin. Unlike my friends in faceless hotels I had keys, freedom to come and go, advice when needed, yet nothing intrusive. Close to the new Metro Marconi stop which is fast and efficient. A great stay- will come back next time in Torino!

• Stayed June 2011
Brookings, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

If you’re planning to visit Torino I would highly recommend VitaminaM. This is a B&B like no other completely unique run by Marco a gracious host. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

This place is a gem, right in the center of Turin. I stayed there with my partner for a long weekend last year, just before Christmas, and can highly recommend it.

The place is beautifully decorated with a lot of design items and musical instruments. We stayed in the room called 'Leslie', which was spacious, very tastefully decorated and had all the mod cons you'd expect. Also, the place has wi-fi, which is a nice touch as it meant i could get online at night. In the morning, the breakfast was delicious, with great italian coffee and a selection of croissants and homemade cake. The staff were all really nice and gave us really good pointers for discovering Turin.

All in all a great design b&b: spacious clean rooms, in a great location, with great service!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Vicenza
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

I couldn't get my accommodation in this B&B, because at the moment of payment via CC of the deposit , I selected 60euros instead of 80euros as required by the the owner. It was my mistake. But the owner Marco Belmondo called me by phone and he said that it wasn't the right value consequently for him the transaction wasn't right and he told me that he should give me back the money and HE GOT DOWN THE PHONE (really ill-mannered!!). While it was easy: I could do another payment of 20euros and the problem (was it?) was fixed.
In my opinion the reason was this: the day before I spoke by phone with the sister of the owner and she told me that the Leslie room was at 50euros per night (I booked for 3 nights), so she gave me the room at a lower price of the standard, maybe she made a confusion of prices. After that the owner received other booking requests, so just to take more money, he refused my booking with a REALLY INSIPID PRETEXT.
A professionist should NEVER GOT DOWN a phone call with a client!! Especially for a banal error of 20euros. I repeat: I could do another payment of 20euros in only 1 minute by internet.
If these are the premises, I advise against this B&B.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Bruxelles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Let's be frank: the B&B is superbly decorated with design items and is very beautiful. However the contact with the manager and the overall impression cas quite disappointing, considering the expectations after visiting the website. First surprise: the B&B is actually located on the 4th floor of an old building close to Porta Nuova Station, without lift. Although it was not a problem for me and my friends, it is quite surprising that nothing is told about it on the website. Therefore this B&B is not recommended for disabled people or people with heavy luggages. Second surprise, our room had no window and was very hot. Third surprise, the w-ifi was out of order in our room. We had to connect our netbook in our friends' room, which was no problem for us but which could have been quite annoying if we were staying alone in that particular room. Breakfast was not as expected. Although there was a good homemade cake, there was no fresh bread and the choice of items was limited. We asked the manager for good restaurants in the neighbourhood. He recommended one which was closed in August and another one where obviously a reservation was necessary to get a table. So we eventually went for a restaurant close to the other two. All in all, staying at this hotel was not very pleasant. Obviously, the management is more comfortable with Italians than with foreigners... Manager don't speak English very well nor French.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to VitaminaM Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!