“Great value for money located near Turin's Central Train Station” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Residence Star Torino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Susa, 5, 10138 Turin, Italy   |
Ranked #9 of 128 hotels in Turin
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great value for money located near Turin's Central Train Station”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I were enjoying a trip of Italy and had to change plans to include a stay in Turin. We came across this apartment due to the good reviews and reasonable prices (approx Euro80 p/nt) and booked less than 2 weeks before staying).

It's a 5 minute walk from Porta Susa station which is a beautiful station reminding me of Paris's Charles de Gaulle Terminal One after having been recently renovated.

We were made very welcome by the front desk staff and were massively impressed by the studio apartment we choose. There's many who, if living in a £500K apartment in the middle of London, this would be positive luxury, with decent sized living area, separate bathroom and bedroom. Not that my wife and I were too bothered as there's lots to discover in Turin but there were two TV's with lots of channels!

Anyhow, the staff were very helpful to tell us where to find the local grocery shop (a Carrefour about 5 minutes walk) and nearby restaurants (one of which I've done a review for which was simply fantastic, The Bakery, about 10 minutes walk away).

Overall, this is a fantastic place to stay with a good location being near to the Metro which gets you in to downtown in less than 20 mins from leaving the apartment and stands for the things many of us look for when on holiday: good living quarters in a convenient location which doesn't cost the earth. I can only but recommend this establishment and would definitely stay again if returning to the lovely city of Turin.

Room Tip: Many rooms include kitchenette's and with a nearby supermarket, you can easily buy a few staples...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Germantown, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Our group enjoyed five rooms here last month. The rooms are spacious and clean. The beds are comfortable. The staff are very helpful and courteous. The students in my group loved having a kitchen in their rooms and took advantage of the opportunity to do a little grocery shopping nearby and prepare a few meals. It was a nice change from all of the eating out we had done. The location is extremely
Convenient to Porta Susa. A number of good restaurants in the area or within walking distance. The neighborhood is a bit loud so difficult to sleep with the Windows open and the air conditioner was not turned on while we were there so the rooms were a little stuffy. Overall I would not hesitate to return.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

As a family of five we really liked this place. The rooms were spacious and we even had a kitchenette. It was close enough to the centre that we could walk in and the area itself was good. We weren't leaving till late the next day and the staff let us load up in the hotel's private car park even though we hadn't paid for that service.

• Stayed April 2014
Sao Jose Dos Campos, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Star residence is my home far from home. I can't even compare the service I received here because it is not a service...it is much more like a family taking care of one of its own.
The staff it is like a family to me: Fulvio, Chiara, Mario and Alessandro will bend backwards twice to make your stay pleasant and smooth. They constitute an A team players who provides, with no doubt, the best service and care I have ever found in Italy.
Then, when you get into the room and find a spacious and modern space at a fair rate in a nice location....well, there's nothing more to say.
Perfect for business travelers and fitted for tourists, Star Residence MUST be your only and unique choice during your stay in Torino.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I had been driving around Italy in an Avis car and needed to drop it in Turin one afternoon and catch the TGV to Paris from Porta Sulsa Torino the next morning. This hotel is conveniently a short walk from both the Avis depot and Porta Sulsa. It is some distance from the main entrance to the station, but is very close to one of the side entrances. Unfortunately, at 6am in a hurry, it wasn’t obvious to me how to get from the side entrances (which seem to go straight down to track level) back to the concourse. If you are trying to do it I suggest first asking the hotel front desk who were generally extremely helpful.

It is an “only online bookings” hotel which concerned me, but in fact they were extremely responsive. The hotel appears to be recently renovated and my room was simply delightful. Modern and well appointed and a good size. I wouldn't use this as a base from which to explore the main attractions of Turin (I prefer to walk, and it would be public transport from here), but is a pleasant enough area.

There is no restaurant in the hotel and I did something I would normally avoid like the plague, and asked the front desk for a suggestion. The result was simply superb! They thoughtfully asked about my trip, then suggested that since I had an interest in food of the area I dine at El Crinet Trattoria, a short walk. It was superb and typically Piedmontese. They were very patient with my Italian, but I overheard a conversation further away where they discussed the menu in good English with another table. A really nice night, but wines by the glass were limited.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Cluj-Napoca, Cluj, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was very satisfied about the room, about the service and cleanliness. If you are couple, in my opinion you definitely must check this hotel. It's cute and it's worth it because the rooms has almost anything you need (even for a small family).

Room Tip: Rooms from last floor are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our experience of this hotel was generally good, but for every aspect there was a 'but'. The room was very spacious and clean, and it was nice to have two TVs (one by the bed), but the bathroom was very small. The decor and furniture was modern and trendy, but we would have preferred it to be more traditional and comfortable, though we slept well enough. The small kitchen would be very useful to self-caterers, but we weren't.

Other reviews praised the staff and service highly, and at best - when the endlessly helpful lady with the brilliant English who gave us lots of good advice was on reception - they were excellent; but there were other times when reception staff, though willing, had difficulty either understanding or answering our questions. The Star cafe a few doors down the street which was recommended to us for breakfast was fine when open, but 2 mornings out of our 4 it was shut (on the Sunday because it always shuts on Sunday, on the Saturday with no reason given). And the price of the breakfast was more than the hotel's card said it would be, though still very reasonable.

The location was our biggest disappointment. We had thought, from reading other reviews and looking at the map, that this hotel was very near the historic centre of Turin which we intended to spend most of our time exploring. But because of the need to go a long way round Porta Susa station, it was at least a 30 minute walk, reducing the amount of walking one has the energy to do when one gets there. We tried taking the bus, which was OK when it came quickly, but once we had to wait 20 minutes for it. The best and fastest option was to take the metro to Porta Nuova, but even that took 25 minutes because of the walk the other end. We will stay somewhere nearer the Centro next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Residence Star Torino? Share your experiences!