I booked this hotel for one night, arriving from Saluzzo, with the goal of not driving too far for the very early morning flight from Turin airport, and yet I wished to see Turin’s center in the evening. The hotel served the purpose quite well, and overall I was pleased with it.
1) I booked “Large room with Art Nouveau furniture”, and indeed the room was very spacious, with high ceilings and stylish furniture. There were many nice touches, like little tablecloths on tables and nightstands, bed mats, beautiful chandelier, window treatments. The whole impression from the room and the hotel overall was surprisingly favorable, it was indeed decorated in Art Nouveau style and the hotel impressed as a place well cared for and well-maintained.
2) In addition to the bedroom, my room had a bay window seating area with a table and sofa, and it was extremely convenient for the computer and other electronics. The Wi-Fi signal was excellent in the room, both my Android phone and the computer worked fine with it. I really liked the comfort of the seating area, full of light, although the chairs were not of leather but of some cheap plastic upholstery.
4) The bed was quite good and comfortable; there were extra blanket and pillows.
5) The shower was very good, the bathroom clean and efficient, although the bathroom heater was not working. I was explained that in May the heating in Turin was off by law.
6) There was a little fridge/minibar in the room, a definite plus.
7) There was an elevator, which is an advantage for luggage, etc.
8) I managed to park right in front of the entrance, this street parking is free.
9) The personnel were friendly; they helped me with my bags and provided a brown-bag breakfast for my early departure.
10) The elegant hotel building and interior, much superior to other buildings in the neighborhood, suggest that in the past it must have been a fashionable district, perhaps it was at the outskirts of Turin, surrounded by greenery.
11) The drive to the airport was about 30 minutes at 7 am, not too difficult with GPS, although the traffic was intense already.
1) The reasons why the hotel is reasonably priced considering the very good quality of the building and the rooms are: the outside traffic and a congested neighborhood of no distinction. The traffic was very heavy but after 8 pm it subsides considerably. Since my room was very large and the bed was away from the window, the sleep quality was good.
2) The hotel is somewhat away from the city center, it took 20 minutes by car to get to Piazza San Carlo after 8 pm, although it is not because of the great distance from the hotel to the center; it is due to the fact that traffic in Turin is heavy.
3) There was no radiator heating available in May, per portiere suggestion I tried the wall-mounted A/C, but it was too noisy to use.
Overall the hotel is a reasonable place to stay at its rate, quite elegant inside and out. I like places that have personality and which are built and run on a humane scale, and this hotel turned out to be like that, not like many faceless establishments that abound these days. It is certainly not a princely residence anymore, unless the Prince is a Pauper.
I would recommend this hotel as a good value place for one night; although on my next 3-days voyage to Turin I preferred to stay in a hotel closer to the center (Best Western Hotel Crimea) and in a quieter yet smaller room, even though it was considerably more expensive.
The relatively remote location of Principi D'Acaja makes it an unsuitable place to see the cultural sites of Turin, its main advantage being the closer proximity to the airport than any centrally located hotel.
Overall the hotel scene in Turin is rather disappointing for the price/quality ratio.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Venere, Despegar.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Hotel Principi D'Acaja reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.