“A great ice cream and a great place” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dessert, Ice Cream
Dining options: Takeout, Late Night
Dining options: Takeout, Late Night
Turin, Italy
“A great ice cream and a great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

There are many good ice creamers in Turin, but this is among the best ones both in absolute terms and in relation to the price. You will find two different sets of choices, creams and fruits. in any case you can be sure that the ice cream is made with fresh and genuine ingredients taken from the nearby food market of Porta Palazzo. Plus, you will find a very nice environment, with good music, books, advertisement of cultural events taking place in the neighborhood. In summer, the owner also organizes concerts in the little square in front of the shop. A must! .

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Italians go here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My two girlfriends and I went here during our last of three days in Turin. It was recommended to us by the couple who we were staying with via AirBnb after they asked us where we had gotten gelato and we said we went to Grom (which I remembered loving during a trip to Florence with my family in 2010). The man said "no no you can't go to Grom you have to go to Gelateria Popolare!" While I agree the location isn't exactly in the center of the town, it's not like it's a super far walk from a lot of things, and for us it was easy because it was near where we were staying.

It was delicious to say the least. I would actually say that the quality was about the same as Grom (because, even though Grom is indeed a chain, it is also really delicious). The best part though was the man who owns this little shop in the middle of nowhere.

There was actually a very drunken man following my two girlfriends and I while we were walking here who was following us and trying to talk to us for some time, and even though it was the middle of the day we got a little freaked out. He went so far as to follow us into this little gelateria, and the man who worked there was very kind and gently grabbed the man by the shoulders and turned him around and told him he had to leave his store and stop bothering us, then stood by the door to make sure he actually left afterwards he let us try a bunch of flavors of gelato and I ended up getting chocolate as per usual, and it was divine. The pictures on the wall are also a catch.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jerusalem, Israel
“Wonderful ice cream in a terrible location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful small place, great ice cream, nice owner. Environment could be better... All in all, a really nice place and one of the better ice creams of Torino.

Liberty Lake, Washington
“Out of the way but worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Don't let the location keep you from making the short walk from the historic district to some of the best gelato you will EVER taste! Flavors are so fresh and intense. Grab a seat outside and enjoy!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stavanger, Norway
“Looong walk to get there. Was it worth it?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went to this place with my family after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. We parked the car in Piazza Vittorio Veneto and started walking, passing a lot of very nice gelaterie without stopping because, I told my kids "we are going to the best one in the city".
After about 45 minutes, after crossing a not-so-nice part of town, we arrived at the spot but had troubles finding it, maybe because we were expecting a much bigger place.
The ice cream was good and clearly made in a traditional and healty way, but my kids, more than me, were quite disappointed. So much that we had a second ice cream on our way back, just 5 minutes away from where the car was parked. A much better one (see separate review).

• Visited July 2012