“Special Birthday Treat” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
florida
“Special Birthday Treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Villa Crespi is a beautiful Moorish estate with a remarkable Michelin rated restaurant. Our top floor room was a bit of a disappointment but the rest of the property lovely. The staff was helpful and the overall experience very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Spent a lovely 3 nights with our 3 kids at Villa Crespi this July. Service was personal, food outstanding and the location unbeatable. Great for exploring the broader lakes region.
For my wife and i this was our second visit to the property, our last stay there was in 1997.
Note, this is a great food property first and a hotel second. The food at the 2 Michelin restaurant is the highlight, the non dining hotel features would need to be upgraded to match equivalent properties like le manoir aux quatre saisons in the UK, where we stayed a few months ago. Overall though, a great stay and a v good property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We arrived late at night and only fully realized the beauty of this hotel in the morning when we opened our curtains and looked out onto the lake. The hotel has been lovingly restored to its former glory - Moorish design, intricate and ornate. The staff are welcoming and the service impeccable! We had a Royal Suite - large - with a sitting area and a four poster bed. The bathroom too, was large and well appointed (no shower!). Dinner in the restaurant took us totally by surprise! With a two star recommendation in the Michelin Guide, it was over the top exquisite dining from the Amuse Bouche to the final dessert taster. An easy stroll down to the village of Orta and a walk along the lake, allows you to really appreciate the beauty of the region. I'm glad I found Villa Crespi!

Room Tip: We had a beautiful suite on the second floor overlooking the lake. Loved the ambience and it was als...
Etchingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We went to Villa Crespi for a special birthday weekend thanks to a recommendation from friends. We wanted something really special that we could look back on for happy years to come. From the moment we got there we felt the special atmosphere and warmth of the welcome from attentive staff. An upgrade to a suite was a fabulous touch and felt like a birthday present from the young couple who run this stunning property and cool bubbles awaited on arrival.... Part of the package we had bought.
The weather was great so we did all the things we wanted to do and had an amazing birthday dinner in the restaurant. We were so impressed with the food, it was a work of art to look at and truly amazing taste sensations from beginning to end. The wines we asked to be paired with each course were excellent and we have enormous praise for the service and staff.
We really would like to pass this amazing experience on to readers and potential travelers to Italy. Thank you all at Villa Crespi, we will never forget this special break and your wonderful hotel and restaurant!

Room Tip: Lake views are always nice!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed in this hotel after reading the NYTimes article recommending it. Upon checking in, we were upgraded to a gorgeous suite and served a welcome drink in the garden. We were warmly welcomed by the owners and the staff. The hotel is an architectural delight built in the 19th century with intricate Moorish design. The period bedrooms have canopy beds and marble bathrooms. Within walking distance is Sacro Monte, one of nine sacred mountains in Northern Italy consisting of 20 beautiful chapels dedicated to the life of St. Francis of Assisi. At the top is a panoramic view of Lake Orta and the island of San Giulio. The medieval village of Orta is nearby and easy to walk to. Although not on the lake, the hotel has access to a beach club and we were able to swim and boat easily. A high point is the wonderful breakfast served on the terrace each morning! The restaurant boasts a 2 star Michelin rating so the cuisine is fabulous. We planned day trips each day and the staff were helpful with suggestions and maps. I would highly recommend this property--it is very unique.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor facing the gardens and it was very quiet. Large windows and sunny.
Gibraltar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed at Villa Crespi on my wedding day ( for preparations as well as my wedding night) on the 12th of July 2013. I have frequently visited Lake Orta the past 12 years and was very excited to stay at Crespi as i have always loved the area and was expecting only the best from a Relais &Chateau property. The premises are naturally very beautiful and in distinct moorish decor, which is why i chose to book for my special day there. Upon my arrival, i was not properly greeted firstly, secondly and completely shockingly inappropriate to the occasion was the fact that a rather bald haired man in a black apron ( presumably the barman, as I saw him the next morning at the breakfast buffet) came storming out telling me to be quiet in a VERY demeaning and RUDE way. This almost made me cry, i was so excited to get dressed and was waiting for the reception to copy my id documents at that moment. The florist brought the flowers and i was standing with my mother, sister and grandmother, of course naturally excited but in no way noisy! The way i was spoken to was horrendous. Then he went even further to very arrogantly ask me whether i was aware that only 2 people were allowed in the room. I was not sure to scream or cry, or whether he took me to be the most stupid person on earth with his insulting question. It was the most stressful moments before going to church to get married and this barman talked to me this way. I replied that of course i was just getting ready and me an my future husband was to stay there that night. Since we are private bank/black credit c clientale i wasn't sure who he thought he was talking to as i have NEVER experienced this treatment in my life, let alone expecting it on my wedding day. Then Roberta from reception was very unfriendly ( clearly thinking she was better than us as she was extremely dismissive as she showed the suite we would be staying in). Nothing was done friendly, she seemed annoyed at best. The suite was lovely, but that was it. Service in this establishment was lacking at best. Lastly, i am not only a tourist as my husband is Italian and his family are from Orta. I have travelled all over the world, been in the best hotels, yachts ect. All i can say is even if they are are a 4 star, at 600 euro a night for a suite and being the most special day in a girl's life the service and treatment i received is completely unacceptable. I felt intimidated, embarrassed and the incident dampened getting ready. I felt even more anxious and stressed out than a wedding day already is. The only friendly person was the waiter bringing coffee at brunch the next morning and a young woman sitting at reception when we left.
I am sad to have to write this review, however i sincerely hope anyone that is the search of service and friendly reception, especially for a wedding day needs to give this villa a huge pass.

Villacrespi, Direttore at Villa Crespi, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Sunrise,

While we thank you for your observations and comments we are naturally disappointed that you were unhappy with the treatment you received from our staff.

For the sake of accuracy, we wish to respond to your letter which we feel has been an unfair representation of the facts which we would to recount so that all Trip Advisor readers may come to their own conclusions.

You were spending your first night after your wedding and we can understand your excitement, indeed we have many guests such as yourselves and we celebrate their newly made bond with them. You chose to have a large group of people with you, not just your immediate family, and they were quite loud and behaving in such a way as to disturb the peace of Villa Crespi
which as you rightly observe is part of Relais & Chateaux, who require all their member hotels to show calm and tranquility for the sake of all guests in residence.

Our residents were seriously put out by your guests' behaviour, sadly, and the restaurant manager you describe who asked you very politely to consider the other guests was far from rude and arrogant, in fact he was embarrassed to have to mention this.

So we are sorry that you were unhappy about your experience and suggest you may have been a little emotional given the circumstances. We can say in all honesty that our staff in its entirety was most correct with you throughout your stay. Like all our guests, you are very important people.

We want you to have a wonderful stay in our villa, indeed we sent you a bottle of prosecco so you could toast your future life together, which we hope will be very happy.

Best regards,

Cinzia Primatesta Cannavacciuolo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night in june 2013. I booked this hotel in order to have a fantastic place to take my wife to have her birthday dinner. After booking (!!!) I realized that the restaurant was closed on this evening (mondays) Having made the booking all ready I thought I would go anyway and try to make the best of it. I had no idea what i was in for, as i had done very little research on the town and hotel, other than that it was on route to our other destinations in Italy.
we arrived by car, and the drive there was like the closer you got to the hotel things got more and more magical, endless roundabouts led us to scenic views looking down on glimpses of the amazing lake and the estates around it. When we arrived at the hotel, we were blown away at how impressive it was sitting up on the hill in all of its ornate glory! anyway, the hotel interiors are as good or better than any of the pictures here and the rooms are like perfect little guest quarters in a fairytale castle. i could go on, but what really blew us away was within a short walk down the road we came upon Orta san giulio which is through my extensive travels through Italy, on of the most fantastic surprises, i have encountered. Orta san giulio is one of the most amazingly perfect places i have been, it was like a weird italian disney fairytale setting. In june when we were there it was quite empty, on a 15 min stroll down to town we didn't see but one or two people the whole time. Walking around there was like having the whole town to yourself. I was upset that we were only staying there a day and i will definitely return for a longer stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Crespi? Share your experiences!