“Lovely food and really friendly host!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Chowder
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Lovely food and really friendly host!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Really nice food, on the more expensive side but really nice for a night out, you have to try the Sicilian cheese cake!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Turin, Italy
“Excellent food in a quiet environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I was looking for a very good seafood restaurant in Milan (there are many) where I could have a business discussion with some people. Usually it is a challenging thing because restaurants are noisy, but I Malavoglia was quiet and classy, the perfect place to discuss. Easy to reach because the metro station Porta Venezia is five minutes away, I was surpised by the quality of food. All of us got excellent fish and wine well advised by the maitre.
Not a cheap place, but definitely I'll return.

• Visited January 2012
Como, Italy
“Incredibly good sicilian food... for a price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

If you want quality you have to pay for it.

This place is a reminder of the motto. Anyway, I don't give it a 5 dots not for the price (because, as I said quality have a cost) but for the traditional atmosphere (a little bit old-looking) that could give a wrong first impression, not helped by the lack of any "welcome appetizer".

But the food is REALLY top quality. I had a pasta con le sarde that could easily match any pasta I've eaten in Aeolian Islands, perfectly cooked, and a Tuna with radish that was oh-my-godish, it tasted almost sicily/japanese mix. It made my day. Nice cassata as dessert with sweet wine offered. Great choice of wines mostly from sicily also in small bottles with reasonable prices (I had an half a litre excellent white from Milazzo)

All this for 70 eur that I did not regret having spent.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Italian restaurant where the waiter won't let you pick the wrong thing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Went to this restauarant for the first time and indeed truly excellent Sicilian style seafood. I understand that the owner waits on the tables and his wife cooks in the kitchen. Yes, just like other Italian restaurants, the waiter would not let me order something that he did not think I would like or would not perfectly complement the rest of my meal. Even to the point where he got upset that I did not put enough of the delicious horeseradish on my tuna and proceeded to demnonstrate to me how to do it. The desert canoli was also incredible. Great food and a staff that shows that great Italian passiion for entire expereince.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Firenze
“Great Sicilian Resutrant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is a small and elegant resturant, very close to the center of Milan. The food is typical sicilian. I suggest to order fish meals. You have to try 'Pasta con le sarde' or one of the various meals based on sword ish and the incredible selection of typical sicilian dessert like cassata or cannoli. The selection of wines is accurate and the servcice is good.

• Visited April 2011