“Don't stay at this hostel!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Medea
Via Carlo Goldoni 84, 20129 Milan, Italy   |
Ranked #161 of 223 Milan B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Don't stay at this hostel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Would not recommend this hostel:

- When we arrived in the evening, the hostel had forgotten us (even though we had been there just a few hours earlier and payed), so we all had to sleep in different rooms, and it took a long time before we got the rooms.
- One of the beds in my room looked like it had broken in the middle, but a girl still had to sleep in it.
- Two 8 person rooms had to share one bathroom (with one toilet and one bathtub)
- The bathtub was very dirty, and the shower didn’t work properly (just a few rays of water, and water going in all directions). I had warm water, but one of my friends didn’t.
- The toilet didn’t have any paper, and didn’t flush properly.
- Everything was very dirty, and one of my friends had feathers spread around in his room.
- We didn’t pay anything for the breakfast, as the internet page we booked from promised (because of the problems when we arrived), but everyone else had to pay to get a small piece of toast, a small croissant and some watery hot chocolate.
- We did not get towel and bed linen as the page we booked from promised.
- One of my friends couldn’t get out of his room in the morning, because the door was locked. He called me, and I got a small pile of keys from the reception (didn’t seem like they knew which keys fitted into which doors, which we also saw when they gave us our rooms in the evening) to get him out.

• Liked — Quite close to some bus stops (though it was still difficult to find the hostel from the internet description)
  • Disliked — Dirty, very low standard, bad service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Jakarta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

I think I am very much agree with the reviewers before me, NEVER EVER WILL COME BACK TO MEDUSA HOTEL, ITS REALLY DISASTER HOTEL,It is completely from the reception staff, Places, Rooms, Eating places, SHOWER ROOM and THE ROOM themselves.

First , we saw a smelly dog running around at the dirty and ugly front desk reception, then that dog jumped up right on the very ugly mattras which they use to put for guest room in the next room. The guest didnt know that this dirty, smelly dog has stepped and jumped out on the bed that she will sleep..eeek yuck!!!. what happened if that dog has a lot of fleas ??? disgusting

second, In the morning, we are not allowed to take breakfast on their messy canteen...and when I wanted to get the food to bring into my room the guy in rush asked impatiently, and when I explained that we will take our food into the room he got he tempered and then throw aways the bread basket in front of us, in the buffet table, this was really un professional for a guy who works in services job ???.THAT WAS REALLY ANNOYED ME, then he didnt even try to apologize with us, WHAT A REALLY RUBBISH SERVICES DURING BREAKFAST !!!!I think that guy was very rude . They claimed have hot chocolate, but when I asked a cup, he gave me coffee, since he didnt allow me to use the machine by myself.

The guy in the cafetaria needs to be trained a very BIG BIG MANNER to the guest if he wants to be in services in the HOTEL

Third, the shower room are dirty, no toilet paper at all, and I asked from evening till the morning I checked out,they didnt put any !!! just only said "OK" but They didnt do anything, there was no toilet paper come up till we checked out next morning

Fourth, its true, that they used to be "GREEDY" ? of making OVERBOOKING, I saw, some 3 girls who arrived the same nite, after us were transffered to another hotel, while they already booked and asked by phone if there was any room available for 3 of them and the guy (the same guy who throw away things to buffet table-which has no manner - he with no feeling guilty said to the 3 girls that they still have rooms).Lucky we arrived earlier than them if not ?? we might be sent off to other hotel in midnite.by his irresponsibility or maybe silly confirmation.!!

Fifth , We have nightmare staying there, so I if anyone who will go to MILAN you wont ruin your holiday in Milan just because having Disaster experience in a hotel you stay

CHEAP ?? not at all, I got even cheaper price somewhere else in Italy but with a very excellent services.

One more thing, I didnt see that the pictures shown about this hotel condition in real Medusa,they are totally different from the facts.

• Liked — cleaness, Services,
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

To start off with we couldn't find the place with the directions provided. The bus stop where we got bus to it from the central station was in a very dodgy area & buses were very infrequent. As two women travelling together we felt very unsafe waiting here.

The hostel itself is disgusting, the worst place i've ever stayed. The paint & plaster are peeling off the walls in the stairways. There are broken windows everywhere, including in the bathroom & our room. They had used a magazine instead of a window pane in one of the bathrooms!

The halls are very dirty & there is bags of rubbish everywhere. The bathrooms are very dirty. Wouldn't even attempt a shower. The toilet had no seat & appeared to be coming out of the wall. There wasn't always toilet paper. One bathroom between about 18-20 people.

Rooms were crowded. On our 2nd night a member of staff came in in middle of night & turned on the light & counted all the people. She later brought in a mattress for one of the guests, it appeared they had overbooked. There wasn't enough lockers for the number of people in the room. The socket was hanging out of the wall, wires everywhere!

I used the internet. The man on the front desk stood over my shoulder & watched what i was doing & asked me questions about it.

If this isn't enough to put you off, i thought i'd mention the best to last!!
... we spotted a dead cockroach on both days we stayed!!

was it cheap? ...yes but if u ask me a complete& utter waste of money.... I would sooner sleep on a chair in the airport (the thought did actually cross my mind, i was half considering leaving all my stuff there if it meant i didn't have to go back!)

In short, medusa is without a doubt the worst place i have EVER stayed in. If this is your only option for accommodation in Milan I think you'd be better off forgetting about visiting the city altogether

• Liked — leaving it behind!
  • Disliked — the cockroaches
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

I was bussed over to this place because the original hostel I was staying at was fully booked and I was not able to stay there. I paid my money up front only to be bussed into a completely different part of the hotel that looked like a regular apartment in a BAD area of town. I'm from NYC so I am used to rough as I live in Harlem but this was RIDICULOUS!!! The maid/doorkeeper tried to charge us a 10 euro key deposit as soon as we entered the room. I refused and then she proceeded to put tape on the beds to state where we are from and how many nights we are staying. I am sure if i was staying in the main area of the hostel i would be fine but these dorm bed were old bunk beds and starge buildings with broken windows and sketchy people everywhere. The door hardly locked. The maid slept on the couch and blasted Celine Dion during the day when we were trying to take a nap and another room was connected to our room with 10 more bunk beds attached. Mixed dorms weird maid, weird people, horrible area not safe and not worth the 25 euros a night. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Liked — met a cool couple there but it was very unsafe in general
  • Disliked — everything the location, the maid, the building, the other tenants in building
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florence, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Milan is scary to begin with. My three roomates and I decided to go to Milan on very short notice, and in attempt to find the cheapest place to stay-- we were very shocked to say the least... half way up the last flight of stairs we stopped short because of the flashing neon sign that said "Hotel Medusa". Check-in lasted a good half an hour, and as the "Concierge" led us to our room, all we could notice were the sketchy loiterers, broken windows, and trash in the stairwell. Our room accomodations were less than expected. No blankets, no hot water (not that we even Anticipated taking showers) and broken windows, again. NO place to keep our belongings and the other guests in the room made unwanted advances. Needless to say, we toted our luggage with us into town, went to the bathroom (not equipped with a toilet seat) all together, and slept fully clothed. Due to all this, we got up before it was even light out, and waited by the "lobby" to see if we could get a refund for the second night we had booked and paid for but couldnt stand to endure, to no avail. We wholeheartedly do not recommend this for anyone without the toughest of skin and the lowest of standards.

*** Additionally, I have attached photos of my stay at Hotel Medusa. Do not believe the photos they have posted themselved on other sites.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Maastricht
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

I'd booked a room with Medusa. It appeared that the room was under construction. Because nobody speaks addiquate english, the problem only became bigger. First they wanted to put me in a youth hostel. Then they said I had to pay up front and they'd book me over to another hotel and they'd pay the 'price difference'. They promissed me that it would be an equally good hotel.
They booked me over to pensione Luisa, which turned out to be the most horrible place I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen a lót of hotels around the world. I could not spend the night there and had to book another hotel for 90 euro's per night. Before I left I photographed everything as proof. Just horrible!!

My advice is not to believe what the people at Medua say, because the fool you without even blinking. Imho these people are not to be trusted. Unfortunately I had to find that out myself.

• Liked — That I could leave there
  • Disliked — Anything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

Where to start?

We arrived at 3am (thanks to EasyJet) and our rooms looked like they'd been half made. We requested the missing items: duvets, lights, toilet roll and were met with scowling staff, slamming doors in their annoyance of being asked for such trivial things. Our door didn't shut properly or lock at all, so we basically had no security at all. The bedroom door and the bathroom door were fairly see-through, which was disconcerting. We had to share a bathroom between approx 14 - 16 people! And there was no hot water, at all - not even for the first person in!

The staff were rude, glared at us the whole time and seem to spend an unneccessary amount of time loitering in our 'semi private' corridor. I don't know why they were there, but they seemed to enjoy intimidating us whilst we walked between our rooms and bathroom.

Never ever again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Medea? Share your experiences!