“Serious flaws” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #156 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Salem, Oregon
“Serious flaws”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

This hotel listed itself as a three-star, air conditioned hotel, yet in August (during 90+ degree heat), it shut off the air conditioning between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. in the morning and then again at 10 a.m. despite advertising the rooms as having "individual thermostat control." This forced us to open street-side windows and swelter while listening to sirens and drunks and traffic horns. The hotel front desk clerk (he did speak English well enough to know how frustrated we were) claimed the air was on a timer, and if we wanted air 24 hours we would have to pay three times the price quoted and booked through Venere. It made no sense -- we didn't need the air while we're gone all day sightseeing; just to beat the heat and humidity at night. We agreed to the extortion rate, but the management didn't impose it the second night after our ensuing and miserable parking experience. The front desk staff had recommended upon our check-in, when we found streetside parking, that we move the car in the morning (for 13 euro per night - about $20). He advised using the parking garage next door called the Dore Park (same as hotel), but he failed to mention that if guests move their cars there at night or in the early morning, they won't be able to get them out until 7:30 that night After moving the car there at 8 a.m. and taking the nearby Metro to shop, we returned to find it locked up tight at noon. There were no signs, in English or Italian, advising of this "little inconvenience." The hotel front desk said "not our car park, not our problem" (even though they directed us to it). We lost the use of our vehicle for an entire day and had to pay nearly $90 extra dollars to take the family via train to Lake Como for a planned visit. We also failed to get to Switzerland because of this.

The room was extraordinarily clean, however, and the subway stop was close by, but that didn't compensate for the other flaws. The breakfast was also an afterthought. Lots of dry carbs, no protein. Lake Como is goregous compared to the industrial city of Milan, so we recommend hitting the Armani outlet store en route to Como and stay on the lake instead. If you really want to see Milan, it's only a 30 minute drive from Como (if you can get to your car!).

• Liked — Gleaming clean bathroom
  • Disliked — Turning off the air at 2 a.m. in the morning
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Stockport Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

The room was spacious with twin beds and a single bed. It was clean and very comfortable with towels changed daily. Lift was always in working order. The reception staff were polite and friendly. The mini-bar in the room provided the cheapest drinks we had found in Milan however there were no tea and coffee facilities in the bedroom. Breakfast was adequate. The biggest disappointment was the lack of bars/cafe's or the opening/closing times of the cafe bars that existed in the surrounding area. However, it was very close to the metro station which was very convenient to travel into the city centre. Overall good and we would recommend it.

• Liked — Large clean room
  • Disliked — No tea coffee facilities in room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
LosAngeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Dismal and Dangerous surroundings, nasty customer service, prostitutes out front and unsafe part of town!!
Upon entering the hotel, the feel is more of a dismal and dated apartment building. The foul smell of cigarette smoke comes to mind as the elderly gentleman proceeded to help me. Since I am bilingual I usually speak to staff in English, which gives me the opportunity to understand what they are saying amongst themselves. Since my flight arrived in Milan at 7:30am, I found myself at the Hotel Dore' around 10am. I was told by a young lady at the front desk that check in was at 3pm and that I should return then, and that I was too early, understandable I thought. She gave me a check-in form with lots of fine print, and as any intelligent traveler would do, I proceeded to read it before signing it. Well, she went into a frenzy, telling me no one ever reads the form and that it was common practice to sign it without reading it and that she could not believe I would even think of reading the fine print. Mind you her tone was outright nasty. I explained that if possible I would like to leave my luggage in a secure area, and that I would return later. She showed me to a waiting room where I parked my suitcase and decided to rest for a half hour or so since I had been dragging my luggage off the plane onto a bus, a metro, then a cab without saying 3 connecting flights from Taipei. What I heard later from the young lady was outright disgusting, she continued to harp and criticize how Americans are all so typical and non-trusting. she exclaimed of all travelers Americans are her least favorite. It went on for 20 minutes. I remained silent. I left the hotel to get a sandwich and returned around noon time. I was then given a key to a room on an upper floor. Upon entering the room, I was amazed to find the entire room was slightly wider than its 40" inch doorway. The single bed was perhaps 36" inches wide. By american standards this would be considered a narrow CLOSET. It did have a stand-up shower, which seemed re-tiled in the last 5 years. Breakfast consist of mediocre warm coffee, and self serve juice, the worst chemical tasting juice you ever had, the frozen concentrated type pink in color that swirls in a big warm vat. I could not even remotely decifer what flavor it was. The Breakfast consisted of pre-packaged stale pastries that were expired, along with the smallest 2 ounce yogurt containers you have ever seen. This place charged me 80 Euros a night, equivalent to 120 U.S. dollars not bad right for Milan? Once you are in this type of hotel you realize it is the lowest of the scale and not even worth half the price. I could not unpack my bag that is how small the room was. The bed was super hard, plywood type with a 3 inch pad on it. The blanket was insufficient since the room was also cold for this time of year. On 2 separate occasions I asked the front desk for information and was treated rudely. If you happen to return to the hotel after 10 or 11pm from dinner, the hotel front door is locked and the attendant is usually asleep in the waiting room on the sofa. When he buzzes you in, he will display that he is upset to have been awoken. You will need to patiently wait amongst the soliciting prostitutes hoping the pickpocketers lurking on the corner do not decide to rob you. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL AT ALL COST! It is not worth risking your LIFE! or wasting your money. Needless to say I will never return or forget how DREADFUL this place really is. Who gives out the stars for hotels??? I think they are self-appointed in Italy by the hotel.

Stayed November 2007
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

Me and 3 of my girl-friends stayed at the hotel dore i Milan last April. We chose it primarily because it was one of the few hotels that offered quad rooms. We were expecting the room to be tiny but were so pleasantly surprised.The room was bright and very spacious with a lovely balcony. My only issue was with shower which sometimes leaked all over the batroom floor but generally spaeking, the room was perfect, no need to feel depressed in it like in some city hotels.The hotel itself was fine. The staff were okay, not overly helpful bt not rude or anything, the breakfast room was tiny and you sid feel you were being watched alittle in terms of how much food you were eating!In terms of location, fantastic, right off corso buenos aires and literally a30 sec walk from the metro stop. At night there were prostituteson the street a little further down from the hotel but this really didnt bother us, we got taxis from the duomo area and back every nght, ony ever about 8 euros,.I would 100% recommend this hotel and go back again. It was much bigger and nicer than anywhere ive sayed for similar price in London or Paris

• Liked — The Room Size
  • Disliked — Slightly indifferent sat
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

What a great little hotel, within walking distance to the metro and all the sights Milan has to offer. We stumbled on this place online, hurriedly trying to find a place for the night and we were very pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness of the rooms. Very comfortable and with breakfast included how could we refuse!

• Liked — Central Location
  • Disliked — Maintenance works
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dore Hotel? Share your experiences!