“Worst Experience Ever!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Medusa Hostel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Milan
Medusa Hostel
You added Medusa Hostel to your Saves list
Via Carlo Goldoni 84, 20129 Milan, Italy   |
Ranked #380 of 427 Hotels in Milan
New York City, New York
“Worst Experience Ever!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

I was bussed over to this place because the original hostel I was staying at was fully booked and I was not able to stay there. I paid my money up front only to be bussed into a completely different part of the hotel that looked like a regular apartment in a BAD area of town. I'm from NYC so I am used to rough as I live in Harlem but this was RIDICULOUS!!! The maid/doorkeeper tried to charge us a 10 euro key deposit as soon as we entered the room. I refused and then she proceeded to put tape on the beds to state where we are from and how many nights we are staying. I am sure if i was staying in the main area of the hostel i would be fine but these dorm bed were old bunk beds and starge buildings with broken windows and sketchy people everywhere. The door hardly locked. The maid slept on the couch and blasted Celine Dion during the day when we were trying to take a nap and another room was connected to our room with 10 more bunk beds attached. Mixed dorms weird maid, weird people, horrible area not safe and not worth the 25 euros a night. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Liked — met a cool couple there but it was very unsafe in general
  • Disliked — everything the location, the maid, the building, the other tenants in building
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Florence, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Milan is scary to begin with. My three roomates and I decided to go to Milan on very short notice, and in attempt to find the cheapest place to stay-- we were very shocked to say the least... half way up the last flight of stairs we stopped short because of the flashing neon sign that said "Hotel Medusa". Check-in lasted a good half an hour, and as the "Concierge" led us to our room, all we could notice were the sketchy loiterers, broken windows, and trash in the stairwell. Our room accomodations were less than expected. No blankets, no hot water (not that we even Anticipated taking showers) and broken windows, again. NO place to keep our belongings and the other guests in the room made unwanted advances. Needless to say, we toted our luggage with us into town, went to the bathroom (not equipped with a toilet seat) all together, and slept fully clothed. Due to all this, we got up before it was even light out, and waited by the "lobby" to see if we could get a refund for the second night we had booked and paid for but couldnt stand to endure, to no avail. We wholeheartedly do not recommend this for anyone without the toughest of skin and the lowest of standards.

*** Additionally, I have attached photos of my stay at Hotel Medusa. Do not believe the photos they have posted themselved on other sites.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Milan hotels

Maastricht
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

I'd booked a room with Medusa. It appeared that the room was under construction. Because nobody speaks addiquate english, the problem only became bigger. First they wanted to put me in a youth hostel. Then they said I had to pay up front and they'd book me over to another hotel and they'd pay the 'price difference'. They promissed me that it would be an equally good hotel.
They booked me over to pensione Luisa, which turned out to be the most horrible place I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen a lót of hotels around the world. I could not spend the night there and had to book another hotel for 90 euro's per night. Before I left I photographed everything as proof. Just horrible!!

My advice is not to believe what the people at Medua say, because the fool you without even blinking. Imho these people are not to be trusted. Unfortunately I had to find that out myself.

• Liked — That I could leave there
  • Disliked — Anything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

Where to start?

We arrived at 3am (thanks to EasyJet) and our rooms looked like they'd been half made. We requested the missing items: duvets, lights, toilet roll and were met with scowling staff, slamming doors in their annoyance of being asked for such trivial things. Our door didn't shut properly or lock at all, so we basically had no security at all. The bedroom door and the bathroom door were fairly see-through, which was disconcerting. We had to share a bathroom between approx 14 - 16 people! And there was no hot water, at all - not even for the first person in!

The staff were rude, glared at us the whole time and seem to spend an unneccessary amount of time loitering in our 'semi private' corridor. I don't know why they were there, but they seemed to enjoy intimidating us whilst we walked between our rooms and bathroom.

Never ever again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

I booked this hotel because it seemed very cheap for a hotel moderately near the Duomo.

In fact, it was a bus journey away or about a 40 minute walk! I stayed there with 10 girls. I reserved a 5 bedroom room and two 3 bedroom rooms and was given a 6 bedroom and a 5 bedroom room. The six bedroom room had a bunk bed as two of the beds. Not every bed had a blanket and not everyone was given a towel, the light didn't work in one room and, worringly, there was no key to lock the other, so we had to repack and transfer our luggage into the other room before we left each day. Why we bothered, I'm not sure as that door too was open when we came back.

There was just 1 bathroom for these two large rooms as well as one or two other rooms. There was no hot water when we were there and no toilet roll. We had to ask for the toilet roll to be provided. When we asked if a light bulb could be put in one room, we were told that one light is working (in the side room with the bunkbeds) so this should be enough. The light bulb was changed eventually.

The guy at reception was not the most polite and hospitable and kept us awake by sitting in corridor chatting to housemaid (who never smiled herself). It was cheap, but not recommended.

• Liked — cheap
  • Disliked — attitude of staff, lack of security
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2005

For a short stay the hotel is not ideal.
It's pretty far from the center(duomo,Navigli,corso buenos aires etc.) and travelling to these areas takes a lot of time.( a warning...the map picture at venere is NOT realistic 30 minutes walking if not longer)
There is a direct busconnection and with train/subway you must change lines.With me during shortcitybreaks i like to stay near lively area or the center of things.
The room had AC, but it didn't work!! So we were forced to open the window and use the fan.
Also it's basically a residential area. Very quiet and dead neighbourhood, even though there's a pretty nice neighbourhood bar next to teh hotel(The rusty nails).
The breakfast you get here is a JOKE. A cup of tea and juice plus a prepacked cake/bread without any refills. So dont take the offer of bed AND breakfast seriously. Its just bed here.
Another downside is that they can't speak any english at all. Just italian and spanish.(reason is that this hotel usually caters to customers from brazil etc) So communciation is pretty difficult.

Now to the good sides.
Room was pretty big and clean. Beds were OK and in the shower there was a lot of towels available.
A safe and guarded carpark is 20 meters away. 24hours is 22€. Pretty expensive but it's safe and nearby.
Also being a residentrial area there's a supermarket and grocery closeby.
And if you like outletshopping...salvangani is a few minutes walk away.

Anyway my mistake was that I believed the map in venere and I thought a 2star hotel at 100€ is pretty good deal because of it's location. But that was a mistake.
I don't think it's a good deal at all.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Medusa Hostel? Share your experiences!