“Poor” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #341 of 432 Hotels in Milan
Baar, Switzerland
“Poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I booked a single room for two nights, regretted it the minute I opened the door to my room. Firstly, the location. This is outside the city centre and is in a district that is (like most others) plagued by graffiti and in need of some regeneration. When I went for an evening stroll, I was perturbed to find a couple of prostitutes trying to make a living nearby. The room: this was as spartan a single room as you can get. Hard uncomfortable bed, poor bedclothes that left me freezing at night, a smelly bathroom lacking in towels and a bare minimum of toilet roll. No glasses, pictures or anything else to make the stay more enjoyable. Be warned, the walls are paper thin, so every early riser and alarm clock will have you awake....that is if you fell asleep in the first place. The breakfast buffet was pretty bad too. Set in a restaurant that had a very Cold War Eastern European feel about it....stay away from the fruit juices. In fact, stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

• Polish first
Lárisa, Larisa, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Cannot express in words the feeling... The room's walls was dirty, had no fridge, the bathroom's faucet hadn't been cleaned for ages -especially the shower-, the blankets were see-through from the holes on it... If someone got lucky, he'd pumb on the only english-speaking employee at the reception (no english for the 3 others). Breakfast was poor, the place that it was served too small and served also the hotel beside (it was also lied to the hotel beside, but anyway...). Not good value for its money, don't stay there! The only positive aspects were that it was nearby 2 metro stations (Loreto and Piola), the bath had warm water and a hairdryer

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed there just for a couple of hours, but that was already too much.
I made the mistake to book that hotel, because of its position...a mistake.
The room was not that small, but the temperature inside was 15 degrees....We asked if there is some they could do and the receptionist gave me a blanket... However we were so tired so we decided to stay anyway...It was so loud and cold .....Never again...We have paid 72 euro for a double room(52room, 10 internet-only on apple products...., 10 parking)
For the price it is possible to find a 4 star even in Milano...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Avignon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

A friend and I stayed at Hotel Catalani & Madrid for 3 nights and found the hotel to be agreeable and good value for money. Our room was small, but it was cleaned daily and the bathroom was impeccable too. The room had a colour television but the furniture is quite sparse and the decoration is lacking, but since we only stayed in the hotel for sleeping, we weren't too preoccupied with the hotel being elegant. The breakfast offered is great, but one of the best qualities of this hotel is that it is located one block from a fantastic restaurant, the Restaurant Moulin Rouge. I would strongly recommend any visitors to this hotel to dine at Restaurant Moulin Rouge, it is fantastic value for money and the best restaurant we ate at in Milan. The hotel is 5-10 minutes' walk from the nearest metro station, but is well-connected to tram- and bus-lines too. As far as I remember, the hotel didn't offer us access to computers and the Internet, so we had to use the Internet at a cybercafé close to to the Pasteur metro, but in general, we were pleased with the Hotel Catalani & Madrid. One tip, though. The hotel also goes under the name Hotel LaPace, though the sign outside the hotel only says Catalani & Madrid. Unaware of the several confusing names for the hotel, my friend and I spent about 5 minutes searching for the hotel and worrying that it didn't exist anymore. So when booking a room on the Internet at Hotel LaPace, know that the hotel only indicates Hotel Catalani & Madrid on the outside of the building.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Raciborz, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

We decided to go to Milano for few days,just to see the city. Everything was fine, apart from the hotel. It was totally dirty, food was not fresh. They didn't clean our room for 5 days. A guy in reception told us we could pay extra money for cleanning (he told: I have to obey my boss's orders). I didn't expect something like that. I cannot recommend it to anyone.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2008

We have friends in Milan who live in a tiny apartment and didn't really have the space to accomodate us. They had stayed at Hotel Catalani two years ago when their apartment was being renovated. It was apparently fine then. They made a reservation for us at this hotel (thinking it was still fine). We stayed one night and left. It was the worst place (and the worst night) ever. I realize most of Italy is still smoking, and this is a smoking hotel (I think). The guy at the front desk (who was a real jerk) said it was a non-smoking hotel, and yet there are ashtrays in the rooms and standing ashtrays in the hallways. The smell of smoke is everywhere. In the sheets, blankets, curtains. It was awful. For anyone who is not a smoker (like my husband and I), the smell of cigarettes was so bad it can make you nauseous. I was nauseous all night. My husband went down to request another room. Nope. They just handed him a can of Oust to spray. There was also no heat. It was warm when we laid down to sleep, but at midnight we woke up freezing to death. They claim they shut the heat off at night (between 10 and 6 in the morning) to conserve energy. The guy at the front desk said they were having issues with their heating... so I don't know what the real truth is, but if he knew about this issue, then he should have told us that evening. The walls are filthy, the floors were dirty, everything in the bathroom was broken. The bathroom was lit by a bulb that hung from a cord. The television was small and ancient and the remote control was held together with screws (if you can imagine that!). It barely showed five channels. The lighting was awful... we couldn't even read if we wanted to and the phone (also quite outdated) was disgusting... sticky and filthy. Even our door looked like it had been pried open at one point. A huge chunk of wood was missing. Looked like someone had tried to break in at one point. We didn't feel safe and were completely disgusted. At 5 AM we got up to pack our bags. We were so desperate we decided to set off in the middle of the night and cold to find another place to stay at. We paid for our one night stay (which we shouldn't have been charged for given all the problems) and the nasty guy at the desk even wanted to charge us a penalty for leaving sooner than our week long reservation. I got into an argument with him over this. He should have been embarrassed to even try this seeing as his hotel is pure filth. Don't EVER stay at this hotel. Not even if it's your last resort.

• Liked — Leaving it.
  • Disliked — It was filthy.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Catalani & Madrid Hotel? Share your experiences!