“They turn off AC in "winter"!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Romana Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso di Porta Romana 64, 20122 Milan, Italy   |
Ranked #193 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“They turn off AC in "winter"!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

And by winter I mean 74F in the first week of October. They don't even have any spare fans for guests who find the rooms too hot and stuffy. The room is otherwise fine. The front desk is just too obnoxious. In general hotels in Europe are just a joke, overcharging and gorging money from tourists in the name of preserving their heritage and I proudly say that this hotel is just a part of the same league. When we asked for some air circulation, maintenance came, tried, and the some sparks came out of the HVAC unit. They refused to change our room. All night we had to keep the unscreened window open and in the process a few mosquitos feasted on our un-slept bodies. As far as I understand climate and weather, if there are mosquitoes, ITS NOT WINTER! A pro is that the breakfast was pretty varied (bread, cafe, tea, pastries, whole fruit) and when asked, they gave my wife gluten free bread. The water pressure in the shower was GREAT and it was the hottest water we got in Europe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good location. Rooms are small and require renovation, water stays in the bath tube for 20 mins after you leave it. Breakfast is good. But it was quite expensive and did not look like 4* hotel at all.

Room Tip: Don't book rooms at discounted price
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 days. I found the l location of the hotel to be ok as we got subway tickets. We were there for the F1 so it did not matter anyways. We did listen to other people advice and lick up all valuables when we left the room even for breakfast. We found the front room service to be fine. I went to them daily for bandaids and they were very accomodating

• Stayed September 2012
Sala, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The four stars are somewhat outdated since the hotel is not of top standard. Breakfast is good if you like Italian sweet pastries, but is not up to normal expectations (one piece of ham and one piece of cheese, where is the salami?). The elevators are not for anyone who is claustrofobic. Rooms are ... different. High ceilings, wardrobes from some modern era and old cupboards. All in all this is a perfect place if you want a hotel with central location since everthing is "around the corner".

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here with my family for four for one night. I have mixed feelings about this hotel. First the positive. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. Very Clean. The staff were very friendly. Now, the negatives: We were far from everything. A very long walk to the Duomo and along the way, everything was closed. Second: a bunch of TV stations...not one english speaking station. I probably would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was travelling with friends and we had booked at the very last minute a triple room for the 3 of us plus a baby. We were looking for a hotel within Milan city with its own parking garage and Hotel Romana Residence came up.

This hotel is far from being a 4 star. As with many of the other reviewers, this hotel is in need of an upgrade as everything is very dated. Upon checking into our room, I was 'greeted' almost immediately by a bug clinging onto the curtain, next to my pull out sofa bed. Had to dispose of the offending 'bugger' on my own. TV wasn't working at all, and the amenities given were minimal , with just a bar of soap and shampoo.

Breakfast was busy, and lots of food usually ran out without it being replenished on a timely manner.

What shocked me most was on the day of check out, when I was packing up my bag, I noticed my mobile phone missing from my luggage pocket. At first I had thought I had misplaced it around the room, but that was not the case. I even called back home to check that I had not left it at home. I am certain that I had left there, and that it was taken from my bag by someone. I spoke to the man at the reception but I didn't get any sympathy at all and he even suggested that I might have dropped it along the way etc etc?!? He made a call to housekeeping to check, but of course no one admitted to taking it. He even added insult to injury by saying he vouched for the person cleaning the room, and that it was my word against theirs when I say that my phone has been stolen from the hotel room!

We had such a wonderful time exploring Milan, but this incident really left a bitter taste in my mouth,and I am certain never to visit this hotel again, nor would I recommend this to anyone. There are way better hotels at this price range.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel reception feels a bit dated but the room we had was well maintained with modern amenities. It was also huge, 2 large rooms, one for us one for kids. Decent sized bathroom. Breakfast was included in our deal and was fine. Small hot section, cereals, fruit, pastries etc. Location allowed us to get around easily by foot and also public transport. Free wifi too. Only small gripe is no access to an iron, "for safety reasons" which make no sense to me as every other hotel I have stayed at find the risk acceptable.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Romana Residence? Share your experiences!