“Good option for long-term stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ATAHOTEL The Big Residence

You added ATAHOTEL The Big Residence to your Saves list
ATAHOTEL The Big Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via De Cristoforis Carlo 6 - 8 | (Zona Corso Como / Brera), 20124 Milan, Italy   |
Ranked #216 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good option for long-term stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

A colleague and I needed a place to stay for the month in Milan, and it was harder to find apartment rentals than we had expected, so we ended up staying at Atahotel The Big instead. I had a one-bedroom suite and she had a two-bedroom. Our suites were spacious and comfortable... my bedroom actually had two twin beds in it (some of the one-bedroom suites had one larger bed, but I wanted to allow for the possibility of friends coming to visit while I was there). The living room has ample workspace, with both a dining table and a rather large desk. Both the bedroom and living room have tvs, although only the living room has a (small-ish) flatscreen while the bedroom has one of the old-school tvs. Kitchenette was equipped with necessary basic cookware/serving ware. Bathroom was small, but had a large tub/shower combo. My colleague's suite had a washing machine as well, although mine did not. The suites were cleaned thoroughly three times a week. Location was very good - a block from Corso Como, a couple of blocks from the Brera area, and about a 7 minute walk to the Garibaldi train station. I could also walk to the Duomo in about 25 minutes. There is a 24 hour Carrefour supermarket a couple of blocks away, and one with more limited hours a bit closer.

There were a few downsides. Wifi was not free - but the paid business connection allows you to connect two devices at a time. I didn't have any problems connecting to wifi (and was able to alternate between my three devices very easily), but my colleague did quite frequently - we think it may have been due to the location of her suite (she tried to troubleshoot with both the front desk and the internet service provider but was never able to figure it out). I never really heard street noise, but my colleague did in her suite. (I believe I was overlooking the courtyard, which may have been why.) I however was occasionally able to hear my neighbor's alarm, and sometimes footsteps from the person above my room. Finally, decor was a little tired and could use some updating.

I never ate at the hotel's restaurant nor ordered room service, so I can't comment on food. Some of the people at the front desk were very helpful while others seemed like they couldn't be bothered. Note: if you need a conference room, The Big does not have its own facilities, and will send you to their sister hotel Atahotel The Executive.

All in all, this was a pleasant-enough place to spend a month. If you are expecting high design or something super-charming, this is not the place for you, but it suited our needs. Given the dearth of long-term options in Milan (especially since the couple of apartment rental companies we contacted would not arrange anything with us over three months in advance), this was the best of what was available. If I could give half stars, I'd give this place 3.5 stars.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GMTheBig, Direttore at ATAHOTEL The Big Residence, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Guest

First of all I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to contact us and focus your attention to some basic and essential features in order to improve our quality service at Atahotel The Big.

I would like to thank you for such genuine positive comment showed us regarding your experience in our Hotel in order to state further stimulations.

Since our very first aim is focused on our guests' satisfaction, your positive experience will be a significant witness of your previous stay.

It will be then a real impressive improvement for any other future guest to benefit from. We will definitely make reference to your suggestion in order to profitably improve our standards.

I am glad you have enjoyed your stay and hope to have the opportunity to host you once again to our Atahotel The Big.

Gianluca Patruno

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Good service, spacious rooms, adjacent to a car park (not managed by the hotel), very good breakfast, close to some good restaurants and a pleasant fifteen minute walk to the castle.
Only minor negative was the broken shower handle (Room 317!!!).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel has a very nice location. We arrived at the Central Station and walked to the hotel (about 15 minutes with luggage). We left out of the Garibaldi Station and walked there as well (about 5 minute walk). Additionally, we walked to the Duomo but I would not advise this unless you are pretty fit (about 30 minute walk).

The rooms of the hotel are large with a separate bedroom, bathroom, living area, and small kitchen. For the size of the room the price was incredibly low. Beds were VERY firm but I think firm beds are typical in Europe. There were especially firm. Decor in the rooms was a bit dated and could use a renovation on the entire hotel. Breakfast was served on the 11th floor and was typical European continental style (only eggs were hard boiled). Breakfast was decent and served its purpose for us.

We stayed for 1.5 days and would highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Milan, especially if you are staying for an extended period.

Travel tip
-- Lots of construction in the area as Milan is a bustling Metropolis. Ask for a room facing the Duomo. We had a room on the side facing the construction but walked over the other side and could clearly see the Duomo in the distance and the city overall. Would have preferred to stay on that side of the hotel.
-- The room we stayed in had a small terrace that we used to have an after dinner drink.
-- If you are staying for an extended period of time hit the local Carrefour and stock your fridge with waters/beer/wine/small snacks to save a few dollars.
-- Garibaldi Station is about 1/4 mile walk away. Leaving hotel turn left on the first street, pass the new modern condos, and turn directly right.
-- Following the same directions as above except turn left at the last instruction you will notice lots of little restaurants/shops that are within easy walking distance and a great place to people watch or grab a bit to eat.
-- Concierge was very helpful and gave lots of good advice regarding travel

Room Tip: Go for a room facing the City / Duomo view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMTheBig, Direttore at ATAHOTEL The Big Residence, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Guest

Since our aim is focused on our guests’ satisfaction, we have really appreciated your suggestions as a significant chance to improve and provide better and more enjoyable services.

As far as the previous occurrence is concerned, we would like to express our sincerest apologies for the inconvenient. We would also be really pleased to show you all our best efforts in order to avoid any future dismay.

Thus your comments will be then shared within our Hotel Staff and they will be a real impressive chance for any future guest to benefit from.

We do hope to host you once again to our Property and to guarantee a more enjoyable future stay in Milan.

Felixstowe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a Thursday night, travelling through Milan en route to a friends wedding in Lake Como. This was our 2nd stay here - we last visited about 5 years ago. The location is great, close to Garibaldi station for easy onward travel to both Milan centre and onto Lake Como. It's looking slightly tired now, but the cool local bars and shops make it a good, economic choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Porto, Porto, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

At the second of the arrival the floor of the room was inundated due to air conditioned malfunction. Told the reception to fix the problem . Apparently, nothing was done and the problem persisted in my second and third nights despite my multiple calls to the reception.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Donnybrook, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Close to railway station which was good as that was how we arrived. Because we had a short wait in reception on arriving (which we didn't mind) they upgraded us to a Junior Suite which was extremely spacious. We had a kitchenette which would have been perfect apart from the fact there were no appliances such as kettle and toaster. However, food in the restaurant was good and reasonably priced. Breakfast was delicious.
The only down-side was that directions could have been clearer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Budapest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We spent 3 pleasant days at ATAHOTEL The Big in Milan. The room was fairly priced, it was worth its price completely. Location is pretty good, the downtown is within an easy walking distance (cca. 15 min), through the very nice part of the city called Brera. Our room was large enough, well equipped (even a small kitchen and separated wardrobe were included) and very clean. The only drawback of the hotel is that walls are paper-thin.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

First of all I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to contact us and focus your attention to some basic and essential features in order to improve our quality service.

I would like to thank you for such genuine positive comment showed us regarding your experience in our Property in order to state further stimulations.

I am glad you have enjoyed your stay and hope to have the opportunity to host you once again to our Property.

Gianluca Patruno

Been to ATAHOTEL The Big Residence? Share your experiences!