“Location is Everything” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 427 Hotels in Milan
New York City, New York
“Location is Everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is just steps away from the Cathedral and the Galleria. Is is also only a few blocks from the Fashion District and La Scalla. The staff is exceptionally nice, professional, and helpful.

However......this isn't a hotel for everyone because the ultra-modern decor is impractical and not very restful for a jet-lagged traveler. The cold stone floors and low counters are not very welcoming when one is tired and seeking comfort. There is a lack of storage space, or comfortable places to sit down. The lighting is overly-complicated and there are very few electrical outlets.

The black bathrooms are a little gimicky and show every water-mark and stain which gives the impression of being less than clean. The shower is designed for show rather than function and doesn't offer an even spray or any real water pressure. It points straight down from a high ceiling, so good luck keeping your hair dry without wearing a bathing cap. The counters are literally 12" off the ground and back-breaking to reach down to.

We spent our first night on the second floor facing the street and could feel the music vibrations from the bar below us, but that stopped around 10:00 PM. There was a fair amount of drinking and loudness from in front of the bar until late into the night though. That first room was so small that we only had less than 3 feet of room around the bed and no place to open our suitcases without tripping allover them. The walls were made of rough industrial concrete which only added to the coldness of the room. There was only a thin console table and a skinny bench to put our things down on.

The staff (once again, very nice and very helpful) "up-graded" us to a higher floor facing the back on our second night. This room was laid out better and was very quiet. We actually got a good night's sleep (but oh, those ice-cold when we got up in the morning!).

The breakfast was as good as you usually get in any better-quality hotel in Italy, so we were not disappointed with it. The staff always got taxis for us in a moment's notice. I really enjoyed the hotel in general, but I hope that they will update the rooms design to be more practical in the future. This might be a good hotel for young couples on a romantic jaunt, or for fashionistas in town for a fashion event. I would probably stay here again just because the location is as good as you can get in Milan

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room on the second floor (the floor above the bar facing the street.)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
StrafHD, Direttore at Hotel Straf, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Toxoman,

thank you for spending a tme and writing us a review, we feel sorry if not all, it was for your expectations, we would like to helping all our guests in any different matters, I am happy and pleased to you, for the huge remind you have had for the staff, unfortunately it is difficult to update the strupture and it is a shame to do not consider in some way their originality.

We hope to see you once again here and welcoming a Guest as you have been, please come back again and let's meet us here.

Max

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I think the overall design of the hotel is quite interesting,, minimalist style and dark. The location of this hotel is good, it is right by the Duomo and opposite to a very good mall (Rinascante). It is pretty far from the Quad shopping area, if that's what you are looking for then you should look to stay elsewhere.

We never tried any design hotels, so this was a very interesting experience.. We stayed in a deluxe room, large room and bath, but we found many areas non-functional..

Would we stay here again? Maybe.. we like the staffs, the crowds, and the location. With more budget we'd probably go with the Armani or Park Hyatt.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MooOun,

we would like to express our gratitude for the comment left, we will share the kindness and the compliments for the Staff.

We will try to do our best and we hope to welcoming you back again, of course with "More Budget", you would choice different hotels as mentioned, but we are not to compare with common hotels!

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is only steps away from the Duomo, which is considered a big advantage. However, the hotel is dated a little bit. Staff are friendly.

The most thing that I didn't like is the bathroom and its amenities, as you will notice a note on the provided towels that they will only replace the towels if they think it has to be changed, otherwise you will have to speak with the person in charge to have the towels replaced.

Another strange issue with bathroom amenities that this is the first hotel I have been to where they don't provide you with Shampoo and Body wash ! So, you will have to go buy some, unless you have packed a shampoo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mesh3L,

thank you for the comment left, thank you for the gratitude to our Staff's Kindness, thank you
for have considered Straf, and of course thank you to have noticed our "environment action"

We would love to be the first in doing this action, but unfortunately it is not, just as information, have look some hotel in Zuerich of the same chain of ours or in Cannes,or in Paris and same in London..., they are doing, from years, the same environment actions.

We thank you again and hopefully to welcoming you back in Milano again, we remain

Regards

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had seen the hotel on previous trips & had a coffee in the bar & so its style & decor were not a surprised.

Our room - deluxe looking out on the courtyard was large & clean. It was dark though & not comfortable - no chairs just large footstool/leather cubes - not enough back support.

The room service breakfast was ok.

Staff all pleasant. Location is good although the street is very ugly & there is building work next door.

The big problem was the bathroom. You are greeted with a sign that tells you that the hotel will decide when the towels need changing or you can ask at reception (in person) if you want them changed. Now I salute the concern for the environment but I resent being treated as a child. Further if you aren't going to change my towels daily you should provide towel rails where they can dry - there was only 1 - over the loo & our towel would have gone into the toilet bowel.

Then the shower was clogged with lime so water splattered on the back of the door & on the floor & water spread over the ceiling of the bathroom from the shower rose.

Then there was noise - the bar attracts people till late at night - they sit outside on the street - the noise for the rooms on the front would be an issue. One night they had a band on the street - we could hear it clearly & we weren't at the front.

I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Not facing the street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Talkative Traveller,

first of all, thank you very much for your feedback, it is interesting very interesting reading your point of view, and of course we feel sorry if nothing it has been reported to us directly from you.

It is very important for hoteliers listen to people and solve the problem before a customer leave, we would love too. Referring towels and environment, those are important project to be implemented, we do not save on cost, it has to be clear, we love to do something important for "Nature and our future life", we are understand and consider your comment important and feel sorry if you will not come back, it would be nice to give us a chance.

We look forward to hearing from you, hopefully to welcoming you back again,

we remain

regards

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

The location is in the middle of Galleria , Duomo, La Rinacente and Corso Vittorio Emanuele. Thanks to hotel Concierge who gave me 10%discount card at La Rinacente. Breakfast is ok , but have to pay a bit more for hot plates. Free Wifi. Milan is great place for shopping and holidays.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Suchada Traveller,

thank you very much for your review, we are pleased to reading your gratitide and we hope to weelcoming you in the nearest future again.

We look forward to hearing from you again, we remain

Regards

Doha, Qa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

One of the weirdest hotels I stayed in. Yet I would stay in it every time since my first stay. I loved the idea behind it especially the cement walls with the red cloths and dictation. Most reasonable priced compared to it's location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
StrafHD, Direttore at Hotel Straf, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear ammn11,

thank you so much for your comment, hopefully you will be back soon and please let us know, we would like to thank you personally.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was travelling on business and this hotel was booked for me. I looked it up beforehand and was happy with the choice: the modern chic appealed to me as I far prefer modern to traditional. Unfortunately I found myself disappointed.

First the good points: it is incredibly well situated (approx 100 yards from the Duomo), the breakfast was good, the reception staff friendly and there was free wifi.

Now the bad points: my room was immediately above the hotel bar which was packed, closed late and was very very noisy. As I had to be up early for work this made me pretty grumpy. When I got up (late because I had been kept up by the noise from the bar) I called housekeeping to ask for an iron only to be told it was not hotel policy to lend guests an iron. The only way to get my ironing done was to pay 16 euros to the housekeeper, but she didn't start until 8:30 and I had my first meeting across the ciy at 9am. I had no choice but to pay the blackmail fee, get my shirts ironed by the housekeeper and be late for my first meeting. Not a great start to the day! (fwiw when the housekeeper finally did arrive to collect my shirts she was curt to the point of rudeness.)

The room itself was 'minimalist chic'. This mean that the walls and floor were bare concrete, no rug. The bathroom looked really dated. I'm sure the untreated copper looked really classy when it was brand new but it just looks dated at this point.

Would I stay there again? If I was on holiday rather than business and the price was dropped significantly, I'd consider it. As I said earlier, it was extremely well situated. If I was travelling on business, no question on this, absolutely not.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Straf? Share your experiences!