“Steps away from Duomo but with flaws” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Straf
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Raffaele 3, 20121 Milan, Italy   |
Ranked #107 of 432 Hotels in Milan
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Steps away from Duomo but with flaws”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is only steps away from the Duomo, which is considered a big advantage. However, the hotel is dated a little bit. Staff are friendly.

The most thing that I didn't like is the bathroom and its amenities, as you will notice a note on the provided towels that they will only replace the towels if they think it has to be changed, otherwise you will have to speak with the person in charge to have the towels replaced.

Another strange issue with bathroom amenities that this is the first hotel I have been to where they don't provide you with Shampoo and Body wash ! So, you will have to go buy some, unless you have packed a shampoo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mesh3L,

thank you for the comment left, thank you for the gratitude to our Staff's Kindness, thank you
for have considered Straf, and of course thank you to have noticed our "environment action"

We would love to be the first in doing this action, but unfortunately it is not, just as information, have look some hotel in Zuerich of the same chain of ours or in Cannes,or in Paris and same in London..., they are doing, from years, the same environment actions.

We thank you again and hopefully to welcoming you back in Milano again, we remain

Max

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had seen the hotel on previous trips & had a coffee in the bar & so its style & decor were not a surprised.

Our room - deluxe looking out on the courtyard was large & clean. It was dark though & not comfortable - no chairs just large footstool/leather cubes - not enough back support.

The room service breakfast was ok.

Staff all pleasant. Location is good although the street is very ugly & there is building work next door.

The big problem was the bathroom. You are greeted with a sign that tells you that the hotel will decide when the towels need changing or you can ask at reception (in person) if you want them changed. Now I salute the concern for the environment but I resent being treated as a child. Further if you aren't going to change my towels daily you should provide towel rails where they can dry - there was only 1 - over the loo & our towel would have gone into the toilet bowel.

Then the shower was clogged with lime so water splattered on the back of the door & on the floor & water spread over the ceiling of the bathroom from the shower rose.

Then there was noise - the bar attracts people till late at night - they sit outside on the street - the noise for the rooms on the front would be an issue. One night they had a band on the street - we could hear it clearly & we weren't at the front.

I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Not facing the street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Talkative Traveller,

first of all, thank you very much for your feedback, it is interesting very interesting reading your point of view, and of course we feel sorry if nothing it has been reported to us directly from you.

It is very important for hoteliers listen to people and solve the problem before a customer leave, we would love too. Referring towels and environment, those are important project to be implemented, we do not save on cost, it has to be clear, we love to do something important for "Nature and our future life", we are understand and consider your comment important and feel sorry if you will not come back, it would be nice to give us a chance.

We look forward to hearing from you, hopefully to welcoming you back again,

we remain

regards

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

The location is in the middle of Galleria , Duomo, La Rinacente and Corso Vittorio Emanuele. Thanks to hotel Concierge who gave me 10%discount card at La Rinacente. Breakfast is ok , but have to pay a bit more for hot plates. Free Wifi. Milan is great place for shopping and holidays.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Suchada Traveller,

thank you very much for your review, we are pleased to reading your gratitide and we hope to weelcoming you in the nearest future again.

We look forward to hearing from you again, we remain

Doha, Qa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

One of the weirdest hotels I stayed in. Yet I would stay in it every time since my first stay. I loved the idea behind it especially the cement walls with the red cloths and dictation. Most reasonable priced compared to it's location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
StrafHD, Direttore at Hotel Straf, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear ammn11,

thank you so much for your comment, hopefully you will be back soon and please let us know, we would like to thank you personally.

Best regards

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was travelling on business and this hotel was booked for me. I looked it up beforehand and was happy with the choice: the modern chic appealed to me as I far prefer modern to traditional. Unfortunately I found myself disappointed.

First the good points: it is incredibly well situated (approx 100 yards from the Duomo), the breakfast was good, the reception staff friendly and there was free wifi.

Now the bad points: my room was immediately above the hotel bar which was packed, closed late and was very very noisy. As I had to be up early for work this made me pretty grumpy. When I got up (late because I had been kept up by the noise from the bar) I called housekeeping to ask for an iron only to be told it was not hotel policy to lend guests an iron. The only way to get my ironing done was to pay 16 euros to the housekeeper, but she didn't start until 8:30 and I had my first meeting across the ciy at 9am. I had no choice but to pay the blackmail fee, get my shirts ironed by the housekeeper and be late for my first meeting. Not a great start to the day! (fwiw when the housekeeper finally did arrive to collect my shirts she was curt to the point of rudeness.)

The room itself was 'minimalist chic'. This mean that the walls and floor were bare concrete, no rug. The bathroom looked really dated. I'm sure the untreated copper looked really classy when it was brand new but it just looks dated at this point.

Would I stay there again? If I was on holiday rather than business and the price was dropped significantly, I'd consider it. As I said earlier, it was extremely well situated. If I was travelling on business, no question on this, absolutely not.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed 2 nights, at the end of our trip, September 15 and 16, 2012.

Room:
Average size for Europe, no problem there. However, it was not cleaned at 6:00PM of the first day we were there, when we returned exhausted after a day of sightseeing. We had to hunt the maid down through a guy who happened to be vacuuming the hallway. She did come, made the bed, straightened out the bathroom a bit (though DID not clean it) and left. How do I know she did not clean it? Because I could see the dirt on the floor right where we left it, because the plastic cup they place for you to drink of had the SAME yellow ring from my nightly tea I had left it with. It was disgusting!

And now to the bed: I could have slept on the floor and it would have been softer than that bed. I could not wait to return home to my own! Every day I woke up my body hurt. And for poeple who are used to travelling and staying in nice places, I have to say this one was the worst I've ever slept in.

Hopefully, they will read this review and have their rooms cleaned proprerly, at least. For a hotel that charges what this one does, lack of cleanliness and basic comfort are unacceptable qualities. Never going back.

And yes, the LOCATION is great. The only outstanding feature.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
StrafHD, Direttore at Hotel Straf, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Mrs. Martigani,

I am pleased to have been reading your suggestion, I have been investigating about your details left, we have seen your name, and of course all came out, with a "DND signboard" left on the door. We would not disturbing your privacy, after you have ordered us in do not entering in it.

Once you came back, finding a note from our Housekeeping to be recalled for "room's make up", and you requested her help, the Maid came to clean up, what had been left in the morning from you, but never mind, allowe me only once thing, to informing that all what we have cleaned, it was your stuff.

Looking forward to hearing from you again, we remain

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We have just spent a weekend here and for the price you pay it is not worth. The hotel starts being old and you see it from the ruined furniture. The room is small but ok. The air conditioning is very noisy and you cannot survive in milan without. The bathroom is very old. The shower was broken and the water was not coming out properly. Breakfast would have been ok, apart from the fact that at 9.45 there were no croissant anymore. Unacceptable given that breakfast is closing at 10.30. The only good thing of the hotel is the location, in the middle of the city but...it is not the only one!

• Stayed September 2012
StrafHD, Direttore at Hotel Straf, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Floc77,

We want to thank you very much for the comment left, we have taken good advice of your note, even if probably you did not get so much the Hotel Style, the Furniture Urban Quality and his Design Hotels.

We want to informing you that our Breakfast service beginn at 07.00 am till 10.30 (3 hour and 30minutes), a Cold Buffet Breakfast always full replaced, it could be possible you came down at 10.45 finding no replacement since the service, it was already over and we were getting ready the restaurant for lunch.

Referring the bathroom and the shower, I do my apologize if you found that lakness, it should not happen, it wont happening anymore.

Looking forward to hearing and hopefully you will changing your mind to coming back again, we remain

Best Regards

Max Ferrara

Been to Hotel Straf? Share your experiences!