“Must depend on the room” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel D'Este
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Bligny, 23, 20136 Milan, Italy (Centro Storico)   |
Ranked #228 of 432 hotels in Milan
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Must depend on the room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

In reading previous reviews I'm surprised that so many people complain about the size. Our room was spacious. That said, we did reserve a room for two adults and a child. The bathroom was large and well appointed, the beds were comfortable. I could have done without the somewhat old looking carpeting but my husband thought it was a lovely room. The lobby definitely feels as if it was decorated in the 80s. We were happy with the hotel overall. Nice enough breakfast (a few fruits, a few meats, pastries, juices), friendly people. We didn't have any issue with the people not being able to speak English, but at the same time I wonder why one would assume that people would, given that it isn't the national language? This was very conveniently located for my husband, who was doing some work at the university, but for my daughter and I it made for a bit of a trek into the center of town. Nothing insurmountable though. And the wifi worked for us. It seems that people are having very different experiences at this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room for 3 was very spacious.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tel Aviv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

if you're looking for anything close to value for your money, you are way off.
The neighborhood is creepy, the room was small (and badly decorated to say the least) and it had no wi-fi (like promised).
To top that, the service was awful, did not answer our concerns (some couldn't even speak English at all) and to sum it up, they left us with bad taste from Milan.
We recommend to skip this hotel in your search, if you know what's good for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Milan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Very nice hotel, situated near the center of Milan. I enjoyed my stay there - my single room was small, but nonetheless very cozy, quiet, and clean. Worth the money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ojai, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We reserved this hotel for a standard twin double for two adults (two twin beds). Upon arrival, the hotel said the reservation was only for a standard single bed room, and they had no rooms with two beds available.

As the hotel was unable to accomodate both of us as it was otherwise completely booked, I had to go to another hotel. I incurred a huge additional cost, and the inconvenience of having to travel back and forth between hotels to work with my colleague.

The misunderstanding between hotels.com booking and the Hotel D'Este in Milan was a huge and costly inconvenience. I will be formally filing a complaint and requesting that we are reimbursed for our additional expenses for the extra hotel we had to book. In addition, the room had no wifi signal and so we had to stay in the lobby to do all of our work as we require constant Internet connection.

Room Tip: No pool, no gym, somewhat sketchy part of town, no wifi signal.. be careful what room type you book...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Alpine, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The rooms here were very small even for the European standard, however the hotel was clean and the price was cheap for Milan. I don't know that I would stay here again it was only on the recommendation of the client I was visiting because it's across the street from their business. The hotel staff was very nice and they gave me a great suggestions for dinner. The area where the hotel is located is not very nice and I don't know that I would be out on the street very late. Not the best trip to Milan, but thankfully it was only for one night.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

The hotel is nice, rooms are clean . There is a good breakfast and wifi connection is free. The staff is excellent. A rather good value for money. If you need to park your car there is a garage very close to the hotel ( 20 Euro per day )

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights while attending a conference at nearby Bocconi. Around 5 min walk to Bocconi and maybe 20 mins walking to city centre (Duomo). I booked a single room which was quite possibly one of the smallest rooms I have stayed in. Yet the room was nice, the hotel was spotless and the included breakfast excellent. Service was great. Free wifi a big plus. All in all excellent.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Hotel D'Este? Share your experiences!