“This place is alright” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #312 of 427 Hotels in Milan
West Palm Beach, FL
“This place is alright”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here on my honeymoon and was not terribly impressed. I was not looking for anything glamorous, which this place definitely is not. It is, however, clean and has a pretty good breakfast, with cappuccino made when you sit down. The location is very near the Duomo and Sforza Castle (the Duomo is great, the Castle is not).

The rooms were small and we got three single beds for a married couple. The hotel said it was there last room, which I believe because we got there at 4pm with no reservation. Hotel Vecchia Milano is a decent place, but just set your expectations pretty low.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Before I begin, I am reviewing this hotel two years after I stayed here (July of 2010, not August of 2011) because I just discovered TA a little while back. So if anything has changed since then, I apologize. But okay, here we go.
My girlfriend (now wife) and I took a little European adventure around Bulgaria, Greece, and Italy. Milan was the last stop in Italy for us, and we had booked a double in this hotel because the budget seemed right and the location was good.
Alright, first, the location WAS good. down the street, hang a left, you're pretty much staring at the Duomo and city center. So that is always a plus. The bed was comfortable, although like a few other places in Europe, the bed was simply two single-sized beds pushed together, so I found myself sinking down between the beds more than once that night. The daytime staff was very friendly and spoke English pretty well. However, the night staff was pretty much the polar opposite. The desk clerk spoke no English, and was very gruff. Seemed angry he had to pull a night shift.
The room was pretty big and was nice and clean, so I have no complaints about that. So it was an average affair. Not luxury, but hey, it was easy on the wallet.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a very old and small hotel located in central Milan near the main post office and stock exchange. It's more of a business than tourist district, but there are plenty of bars and restaurants close by and it's just a few blocks from the Piazza Cordusio and Duomo areas. I would call the place funky, it's not spotless clean but not dirty either, it had a certain European charm. It does have an elevator, which is unusual in these kind of places, but there are still steps to negotiate nonetheless. One needs to be careful for unexpected steps up and down in the halls, but that's not unusual in buildings of this age. The triple room was reasonable sized but had an odd layout - again not unusual. The bathroom was fine, though the shower was very tiny.

I found the staff to be very helpful, the manager even made us cappuccinos (on the house!) when we arrived early to store our luggage. There was a very limited breakfast included in the room rate.

Bottom line: I would stay here again, but I wouldn't pay a lot for it (which I didn't).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We recently stayed at the Vecchia Milano for 2 nights while in Milan. We ended up here because of an error I made with dates at another hotel nearby and it was what we could get at the last minute without paying a huge amount.
While staying there I checked trip advisor to see what others had said and I was surprised by the negative comments. Those comments have prompted me to write this review in defense of the hotel.
This was our last hotel after 5 weeks travelling throughout Italy staying at 8 other hotels of varying standard, mostly of a higher standard than this one, in that period. I was disappointed I had messed up my last hotel booking but appreciated being able to get a hotel close to where we wanted to stay and cheap.
The staff were friendly and obliging with our requests and the lady who organised breakfast was just delightful. The room itself was small but spotlessly clean as was the bathroom and it was cleaned and towels replaced each day. We stayed on a Saturday and Sunday night and I did not notice any noise, however, we had windows closed and air conditioning on as it was very hot. Air conditioning and TV both new and worked well. I did not notice any noise and slept quite well, however the bed was not the most comfortable we had had during our 5 week travels.
This hotel was in a good position as we could walk to the Duomo and also to the church to view the "Last Supper". Both were around 10 minutes by foot. I agree the map was a little tricky, but if you pick up a tourist map it is easy to follow. During our 2 days we did not use public transport. Also it was only 5 minutes to train station to catch express train to airport.
It is a very inexpensive hotel in a very expensive city. We do not spend time in our room so did not worry about the small space. The breakfast was simple but you could have as much as you want and had the choice of croissants (various types), yoghurt, rolls, jam, juice, bottled water and coffee including capaccino.
If you want a fancy hotel which is 4* don't stay here. If you want a place that is clean, inexpensive and well located than this is for you.
An added bonus is the delightful restaurant 2 doors down. it is a hidden gem beautiful courtyard to dine in called Hostaria Borromei. We ate there both nights,beautiful.
The comment about the toilet running all night, this may have happened because you had to pull the lever down to flush and when it had flushed you had to lift the lever up otherwise it would keep running. This is just the type of system it is and not a fault.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We booked and confirmed and were told they had a triple room and a double, turned out to have 2 doubles and a single. It was expensive and the desk clerk was mad he had to give 3 rooms. I could live with the street noise, toilet ran all night, sink leaked all over floor (I was in one room with my daughter and didn't want to ring desk for help at late hour - if we were in a room with my husband we would have asked for help), no hot water in shower (would have settled for warm), ants in hallway.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Good location. Clean room - it was small, but that was fine. Shower was fine. Charmingly ramshackle building. Breakfast surprisingly good. All in all, good value and fine for a night or two.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Den Haag
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

The hotel is situated in a small street right in the center of Milan. In about 10 minutes walk you are at the Duomo (Cathedral). Reaching the hotel is easy with both public transportation and taxi.

The rooms are very small and old, the bed quite hard and you could hear other guests very clearly thanks to the thin walls. The room was clean and I got new towels and soap every day. Breakfast was not much but sufficient. The staff was very nice and was very helpfull with planning trips etc.

I must point out that this hotel is one of the cheapest in the center of Milan so you can't really expect 5* accommodation and service. If you just want to visit the city of Milan and you just sleep at the hotel this hotel should be fine. If you are a person that likes spending more time at the hotel then just sleeping you should stay away from this accommodation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Vecchia Milano? Share your experiences!