“Perfect for opera-lovers” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 433 hotels in Milan
Moscow, Russia
“Perfect for opera-lovers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

I booked a single superior room for 2 days in July specially to go to La Scala and I can say I’m happy with this hotel.
The LOCATION is perfect. It’s in the centre of Milan, a 5-minute walk from La Scala and about 7 minutes to the Duomo. The area of Brera with the Pinacoteca and many restaurants is not far away and some of the central metro stations are within easy reach. (I preferred Montenapoleone station to travel to Milano Centrale though you can also go to the stations of Duomo and Cordusio).
The ROOM was not big but it was clean (they cleaned it twice a day!) and had everything I needed: a/c (efficient but noisy, so at night I preferred to open the window overlooking a little courtyard and it was rather quiet), an electronic safe, a hairdryer, tea-making facilities (a rare thing in Italian hotels!), a mini-bar (though it’s written you can’t keep there your own food – which I think is too strict on the part of the hotel). The bathroom was new and spacious enough. The bed was comfortable, with 2 pillows to choose from (a hard and a soft one).
The INTERIOR. I can’t say I liked the decor of the hotel that much though there’s definitely a kind of style with many pictures of animals in the corridors and rooms with the orange colour being the predominant one (I’d call it a jungle theme which is rather strange for Milan). Anyway, it’s a question of taste. The good thing is that the superior rooms don’t look tired and you’re sure to remember that in Milan you slept with tigers or elephants painted near your bed.
The BREAKFAST was OK. Nothing much but enough for me - with croissants, musli, yoghurt and tea or coffee from a machine.
I didn’t have a chance to speak much to the STAFF, but they all seemed friendly and I experienced no problems at check-in (I was given my room earlier than the official time) or check-out.
Overall, I can say that the greatest advantages of the hotel are its location and good facilities in the room – especially for the price you pay. What I didn’t like about my stay was the noise from the air-conditioning and the size of the room (but it’s often a problem with singles). It’s not a very elegant hotel but it’s good value for money, so I would recommend it and would think of staying here again if I come here for La Scala one again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

it is very close to the Duomo, La Scala and Vittorio Emmanuel shopping center. It is also close to the Metro Lines and the trams (if you want to see last supper or the cemetery monumentale). They had great breakfasts. the bread was fresh.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Perugia, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

As a solo female traveller visiting Milan to see a ballet, I was looking for a safe and comfortable place as close as possible to La Scala. Hotel Star was perfect, literally a few minutes walk from the theatre, and close enough to the Duomo area as well. Friendly and helpful staff, very comfortable bed, and no problems with noise at all. Breakfast was basic and quite adequate since it was included in the rate. The only negative point is that the shower stall was quite cramped, not a problem for me but it could be for a bigger-built person. This is where I would stay if I went back to La Scala.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

We stayed here twice -- one night when we arrived in Milan on Saturday, May 29 and one night when we left Milan on Monday, June 7. We were pleased on both occasions. When we first arrived, we had a little trouble finding the hotel because the directions told us to make our second street on the right from the main road and we didn't realize they included the alley (the hotel is in an alley). Once we got in though, it was all fine. We got a great price on this room, 130 euros per night, which was the main reason we chose the hotel. It was at least 50 euros cheaper than other hotels in the area and frankly, I thought it was absolutely fine and would have no problem staying here again. I say this as a person who is fairly picky...

The hotel is your basic tourist hotel, with a big lobby, a breakfast area, tv room, and rooms upstairs. The lobby area is comfortable if dated and has reading materials you can borrow. I saw people hanging out in there on a few occasions. Once you find the hotel, the location is perfect! It is 2 blocks to the metro on via Bruno, 3 blocks to the Duomo, La Scala, and Galleria Vittorio Emanuel, and right in the middle of the action. Yet because it faces an alley, you don't get the street noise. I wasn't sure how I felt about it being in an alley but you realize quickly that its not that unusual and it seems to be a safe area. The rooms were comfortable, clean, compact, but thoughtfully arranged. We had a twin room, which also came with nightstands, a built-in desk, wall mounted flat-screen tv, and bench area to set your stuff on. The bathrooms are small, but I didn't think they were any smaller than any of the other Italian bathrooms I've experienced. The rooms have wood panelling and floors and mirrors strategically placed to make the room feel bigger than it is. This is not as weird as it sounds. However, they do also have outdated light fixtures and art painted on the wall, which I thought was off from center and bordering on tacky.

PROS:
-Will hold your luggage for you while you wander around after you check out (we had to check out by noon but our train didn't leave until 4, so that was helpful)
-Has free internet access and laptops available to borrow for up to 3 hours per night
-Location, location, location!
-decent breakfast, but all self-service (including the cappucino, which you made in a machine by pressing a button or two)
-Room amenities were all nice - comfortable beds, opening windows, nice tv, and fantastic shower with a sauna in it
-Courteous staff that all speak English
-very helpful with directions and recommendations

CONS:
-They couldn't print our boarding passes for us as their printer was broken.
-The loaner laptops are tiny and very hard to type on and use.
-Hair dryers basically made noise and did nothing to dry your hair
-Hotel decorations are dated and kind of strange - leopards and cats painted on the walls in the rooms, big swirling light fixtures in the rooms that scream 1980s, and old fashioned furniture (think stuffed leather couches with no pillows circa 1960) in the common areas.
-They had signs saying you couldn't do laundry in the bathroom and hang it up in the bathroom or anyplace else (I understand the logic with not wanting things hung from the light fixtures or damaging the wood floors in the rooms, but in the bathroom? Weird)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Stayed for five nights; loved it. Perfect location, nice hotel, excellent service. Buffet breakfast is included. There is a good cafe BellaVista just around the corner.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

The good: It was reasonable priced since we got a 50% offer for the night, the room was newly renovated and the location was simply unbeatable, especially considering the price.

It's almost directly behind the Scala, and the centre with the cathedral is just a very short footwalk away.

They also offered the usual amenities you'd expect in the price range (mini bar, television, bathroom with "steam sauna" shower...). Wireless internet is free for the first three hours, but only available in the lobby (and maybe some first-floor rooms).

The bad: The room, while newly furnished, was as tacky as it gets. On top of the strange lamp things, there was a 2x2-metre painting of a leopard above the bed, I kid you not. They even had a matching graphic on the door key.

Worse was that they somehow messed up the soundproofing of the windows. They kept almost nothing out, and for us the noises started at around 5 in the mornings: Garbage collection, deliveries to the nearby bars and whatnot. Until checked I was honestly convinced that we had left the window open...

If I go there again, I'll probably check for another place. But if you go, check that you get a room that doesn't go to the street.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

When I looked for a hotel for our one-night stay in Milan I wanted something reasonably priced in a good location. That proved somewhat of a difficult task, but this hotel fit that criteria. It is a nice, clean hotel very centrally located in Milan--just a couple blocks from the Duomo, La Scala Opera House, Shopping, etc. No other decent hotels that I found were this close to the main sites and this affordable.

The hotel room was good--very clean, so I couldn't complain. In my opinion it somewhat lacks the quaint "European charm" that would have taken this a step up--perhaps all the pictures of the wildlife? (I hate to even say that because I love wildlife, but perhaps not in this particular setting?)

Staff was nice. They allowed us to keep our luggage until our room was ready (since we arrived in the morning.) They also allowed me to use their laptop to check my email. Breakfast was good. My minor complaint was that the hotel did not have nice city maps available which you usually see in tourist hotels--only photocopies of maps which were somewhat fuzzy.

All around, a decent hotel. There was nothing that jumped out (other than the location) which said "you have to stay here!", but definitely nothing bad about it either. If location is what's important to you and you're on a moderate budget, then I'd definitely consider it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Star? Share your experiences!