“Quiet and comfortable, conveniently located near the centre.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Bolzano
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Boscovich, 21, 20125 Milan, Italy   |
Ranked #307 of 432 hotels in Milan
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Quiet and comfortable, conveniently located near the centre.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Milan was the starting point for our short interrail trip.
We arrived by plane and then took the train from Malpensa airport to Milan’s Central station. I was impressed by the quality of the train that was operating as the Malpensa Express service, and by the train station itself as well. Everything was clean and there were signs all over the place guiding ignorant tourists to the right direction.
The hotel is situated just a block away from the railway station. As I had arrived at about 11 a.m. I had plenty of time for a short walk around the area before checking in, so I took my cabin luggage and went for a stroll. After an hour and a half of wandering around the streets, I have spotted several lovely restaurants and cafes that we could visit for breakfast or lunch the next day. By 1p.m. I was at the hotel, but the receptionist informed me that our room wasn’t ready yet and that I would have to wait till 2 p.m. to check in. I decided to sit in the lobby and read a bit about the city in my tour guide and so did a couple that arrived a few minutes later.
Finally there was time for check-in and the new receptionist that had just arrived was more than eager to help us with all the procedures and give me my room’s keys as fast as possible.
By 2.30 p.m. I was in my room, unpacking my suitcase and relaxing for a while. We had made a reservation for a triple room, as two friends of mine would be joining me later that afternoon, so it was quite spacious with three single beds and a spot to place suitcases and bags, exactly as we would expect it to be. From the window you could see the hotel’s back yard, and I was surprised to find out that the bathroom had a small window as well.
Overall the bathroom was OK, clean, and equipped with all the amenities one would expect to find in a modern hotel, even though the door of the shower’s cabin would certainly need a slight adjustment. Some more room to put all our things would be pretty much appreciated as well.
The beds were really comfortable and we more than enjoyed our sleep there, but I wouldn’t leave the window open during the night again, since we were under attack by some mosquitoes, which was a bit disturbing. But all in all, one would not hear anything else apart from those flying monsters’ buzz, so it was a really quiet night for us.
We didn’t chose to take our breakfast there, but we tried some of the pastry shops nearby, which offered a great variety of coffee, juices, snacks, sweets, and sandwiches, that could give you energy for a big day out, at a fair price.
My general opinion about this hotel is that it is ideally located for a short stay in Milan, with a very nice lobby, and mostly friendly and helpful staff, but I would certainly try to remodel and redesign the rooms and the corridors to make them a little bit lighter and more welcoming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Mosquitos don't let me sleep for the hole night!!!

And they take all the payment before you arrive (i booked through booking.com), so if you want to change the hotel you can do it but no one is going to return your money (

Wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Stayed here one night as we were stopping through Milan on our way to the Amalfi Coast. This hotel is located very close to Milan's Central Stazione (with shuttles to all major Milan airports) so close in fact that the queue of cab drivers at the station refused to drive us.

It's very close yet it feels like the street is quite safe considering there are some less attractive, more grimy streets around the station.

The check in was easy with the staff speaking basic English. The room was modernly decorated and had a comfortable bed, working television and a nicely kitted out bathroom with bidet and amble hot water in the shower.

The hotel stored our bags and provided good directions to the nearby metro station.

Very reasonable and good value for the this otherwise characterless neighbourhood of Milan. Excellent choice for stopovers.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Zurich Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

A friend and I traveled to Milan for a long-weekend. I came from Switzerland, she came from London.

The reception was empty and they had nothing to do. They however wanted to keep our passport for the duration of our stay and claimed it was a policy set out by the Italian police and an officer would come by to copy the passports of all guests in the hotel. I knew this to not be true since I had been to Italy several times before this particular trip and had never been met with such a ridiculous concept. I knew they just needed our passport information, and since the reception was free, I asked if I could simply fill out the forms since my passport had gone missing in a French hotel in the past. At this point the staff started yelling and screaming at us and threating to call the police. We already had the room key by this point (it was a smoking room and the windows did not open) so we retired to our rooms. When we asked if we could switch rooms since we had requested a non-smoking room, they said we couldn't because I had used the toilet once.

It was extremely odd to have the reception go from friendly to yelling and screaming at us in under 5 minutes. The man had serious issues and turned red and told us to go back home if Italy wasn't what we expected. (I haven't been back since)

While we were sitting in the lobby in the evening, in the space of 30 minutes, three separate guests came down to complain about leaking roofs and were told there were no other rooms, while new guests that arrived walk-in were told rooms were available (at a considerable markup).

As we were checking out, only then did the reception staff decide to fill out our passport information for the city of milan forms they had on hand. They also incorrectly filled out the information, probably because they could not read the french information in my passport.

If you book ahead of time, the price can be low, but with this kind of service and the hostility we were met with, we felt extremely unsafe.

• Stayed November 2010
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

The only positive side about this hotel is its location. Its just a few minutes from the milan train station.

We had booked a double room with french bed. The room was terribly small and the doors of the rooms didnt give any security feeling at all. The room and the toilet were also smelling badly. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

Location was great, a 5-10 minute walk from central station however this was the only positive. The service was terrible. The staff were both extremely unhelpful and very rude. The breakfast was not good, the yoghurts for example were out of date!

The rooms are very small and dimmly lit, as were the corridors.

Overall value for money was poor, i would not recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Kumamoto, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

I stayed with my partner 2 nights in a double room at the hotel. It's located in a walking distance from Milan main station.
The room is clean and new, the bed was comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was that the curtain on the window in the bathroom was too thin and I worried that maybe somebody could see through us from outside.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bolzano? Share your experiences!