“New York in Milan” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #195 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“New York in Milan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Good location close to Centrale FS and Metro. Simple but very comfortable. Helpful staff, quiet room, shower good, breakfast perfectly adequate, check in and out simple. Recommended for one or two night stay. Some restaurants nearby, fine for us, couldn't say how gourmet travellers would fare as we just like simple food in simple settings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I arrived late and had emailed in advance to warn the hotel of this. I had a lovely email back detailing everything from which bus to get on at the airport, how long it would take, directions and a map.
On check in Charl Rix (front of house manager) was very kind and welcoming and welcomed me by name. He definitely had a "can do" attitude and nothing would have been too much trouble.
The single room was clean and tidy and perfectly adequate for £32 which I paid for it through travel republic. I would definitely stay there again as it is in a fantastic location. It was a little noisy in the night with other people banging their doors when they arrived back to their room, but you could get anywhere you stayed.
Breakfast was simple continental. I had breakfast at 9am, it looked like there may have been eggs and bacon, but the eggs had all gone and the bacon cold. They may have given me fresh if I had of asked, but I was happy with simple cereal, tea and fruit. I hope you find this review helpful :)

• Stayed August 2013
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

As previous reviews stay on the renovated floor- so I can't comment what the other rooms are like. Renovate triple room, had big bathroom with additional sink separately, three single beds that were decent with fridge and a safe- use for free. Breakfast is good- there is a bacon, eggs, fruits, fresh juice- it's very good. The hotel is right beside Milan central station, convenient to take the train to all locations.

Good customer service- I requested a room on the renovated floor and the guy at the reception said it would be 20 minutes because the room he had originally gave us wasn't. He contacted the house keeping and asked them to clean it and in less than 20 minutes we were in our room.

Room Tip: stay on the renovated floor- I believe it was number 3.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Value - Cost me around £68 for one night with breakfast and was not amazing value

Where is it? - It is opposite the central train station.

Room - Dated, but clean room. No kettle in the room. Breakfast is good. There was a TV.

Surrounding Area - The nearest supermarket is on Andrea Doria and is opposite Doria Grand Hotel. There is a McDonalds in the station and on the square. There is a nightclub Le Roi 2 minutes away. However, there is not much at night here and I would stay south of Garibaldi Station/Uni Credit -big glass building around Corso Como, where the bars are, and its easier to get to the Cathedral Square from there if you want more entertainment at night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Beerwah, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having read some of the reviews of the Hotel I wondered if we were in a different hotel when we saw our room. Since the address is the same they must have had a different room from ours.
We are not fussy travellers and mostly stay in cheaper accommodation so our expectations were not high for this low cost hotel but even these lower expectations were not met.
The room was small, dark and had no place to put our small amount of luggage without having to climb over it. We had to store one bag in the wardrobe as there was nowhere else for it to go and this meant that we could not access it.
The "double" bed was actually two singles pushed together with a 'gap' between the two mattresses that we kept rolling into. The pillow was hard --- it was not a good nights rest.
The final disappointment was that there was no hot water so after travelling all day we had to do with a cool shower.
Breakfast was good so was a redeeming factor.
The WiFi had a cost associated with it, even though I thought it was free.
The situation was close to the station but there were homeless people sleeping in doorways near the hotel, and a general dirty appearance so the general area was not pleasant.
I am very glad we were only there for one night and on another occasion I would try for somewhere else despite the convenience of the nearness to the station.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Chosen for its convenient location nearer the Central Station, it is really just sleeping spaces with a breakfast room. Having said that, a friendly receptionist directed me to a nearly excellent restaurant; I was a little amused on my return that the "next" receptionist rebuked me for taking my room key out of the building. Plenty of choices at breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here late June for one night and found it to be ok for what I was looking for. Reading other reviews it is a basic hotel yes but it is not expensive so I wasn't expecting too much. The hotel is in a great location accessible to all parts of the city with ease. It is clean and I found staff to be friendly. Breakfast is typically Italian a few different types of meats with bread, also sweets and pastries. Over was happy with the hotel as a stop over.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to New York Hotel? Share your experiences!