“Doesn't deserve a 5* reputation” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Piazza della Repubblica, 20124 Milan, Italy   |
Ranked #79 of 427 Hotels in Milan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore, Singapore
“Doesn't deserve a 5* reputation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

A reservation was made 3 months in advance and reservation agent, Giorgi, was made known that it would be for a nice celebration and he claimed that he would make it special. And indeed it was specially bad. Bedding was combined from 2 singles... No bottled water in room.. Called reception and was put on hold for 30mins.. (reason given - staff were all busy). Well, it was the new year period 2nd Jan, but it should not be that bad. It is Westin after all. No cake was provided for the occasion ( well, I should not be surprised as I had to wait half a day for my 2 complimentary water).. Then, due to a sensored fridge, I had to have a staff come up to remove all the drinks from the fridge so that he may be a witness that the items were not consumed (but he simply left it in the small cupboard beside the fridge as opposed to bringing it back to his store - reason given was that he is too busy...) During check in and out, no privilege were given to SPG members. Thou the queue was short, only 1 staff were attending, while others are busy behind the desk... I had to keep my limo waiting for a long time before I got served. And of course, they charged me for the whole fridge of "missing drinks" of which I need to explain (once more) that it was already communicated to the manager ( who should have taken notes in the system).

My displeasure was initially given in a form of feedback to the reservation team upon my return. It was replied by Antonella Cottone, the reception manager, who gave a standardized template answer of things such as 'my feedback is important to them' , 'it helps them to improve' , 'they apologize and follow up with actions to improve' etc...

But, he was not answering the email at all!? My subsequent email to him was left unanswered...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Starwood M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Palace, Milan, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Kenji0710,
Thank you for reaching out to us, both here on Tripadvisor and directly, and for sharing feedback on your stay. Please allow us to reiterate our heartfelt apologies for failing to provide the level of service you rightfully expected to find and the special attention that you had sought in consideration of celebrating an anniversary.
As mentioned in our email, while there may be reasons, they cannot be justifications and we are truly sorry for providing a disappointing stay. If there is anything else we can do to help restore your trust in Starwood excellence, we’ll be happy to assist.
With best regards,
The Westin Palace Milan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I travel a lot for work and tend to favour stays at Starwood Hotels as they are usually of a very high standard. My stay in Milan last week was incredibly disappointing.

The room I was given was in the back of the hotel (room 16_), the decor was a little tired and the bedroom itself quite basic. The carpet was stained, as were the walls, the bathroom ceiling was in poor condition and the cleanliness of the bathroom was questionable at best.

My hair dryer did not work, the robe in the bathroom had not been changed, as it had foundation and make up stains all over the collar, yet it had the paper seal saying it was fresh and clean.

Breakfast service was an absolute disgrace, a gentlemen took my order and 3 more people came around to as whether I was ready to order; I had a cappuccino and a basket of bread, which staff took away while I was on a call before I was even finished. I am sorry but for a 250 euro a night hotel, and a 15 Euro Capuccino + Croissant i expect flawless service.

I am not happy with the level of service received here and as much as I like Starwood hotels, I will make an effort to stay at the Principe di Savoia across the road when in Milan.

Dear Travellina85,
We truly regret knowing that your stay experience was a poor one and that you were not happy with the service. The renovation of hotel rooms is ongoing, with about 40% of inventory already renovated and a second refurbishment phase scheduled. This will take care of the wear-and-tear maintenance issues you have noticed and we will work to make sure that maximum attention is paid to details like the bathrobe and hair dryer ones. Please rest assured that your comment on breakfast service has been shared with the manager in charge for immediate action.
Thank you for sharing this feedback on your stay, we do hope you will give us another chance and consider staying with us again on your next visit to Milan to recover your trust.
Be well!
Grenoble, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The hotel was very fancy it had a good deal for the week-end.The rooms were very nice and clean.
In the rooms instead of towels there were bathrobes you could take some slippers to use and keep them during your stay.The rooms were very nicely decorated and the bathrooms very nice. They gave nice service and help. It is a great hotel to stay at.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Starwood M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Palace, Milan, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear GSAC A,
Thank you for taking the time to share on Tripadvisor these comments on your stay. Knowing that you had such an enjoyable experience at our hotel truly matters to us and we’re glad we contributed to making your visit to Milan a pleasant one. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back when you next visit Milan, be well until then!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I spent 4 nights at the Westin Palace Milan with my girlfriend for shopping getaway. Overall I had a very lovely stay and definitely would stay here again.

Location: The hotel is located right on the Piazza Del Repubblica in central Milan. It is 5 minutes/ 500 meter walk from the Milan Centrale train station. You could theoretically take the train from Malpensa Airport if you are watching your budget. A taxi from Malpensa is a flat rate of 90 euro each way. I hired a Mercedes for 77 euro each way. The Repubblica Metro stop on the M3 line is right outside the front of the hotel and is 3 stops from the Duomo or a 20 minute walk down Via Turati. Good central location, we walked or took the Metro everywhere and did not use a taxi once which apparently are expensive.

Room: We had an executive suite on the 11th floor. It had a view of the Duomo, a large comfy bed, sitting area, large marble bathroom, a 2nd shower and a turkish steam bath which we used nightly. The room was very comfortable, clean and spacious. The TV was the most complicated hotel TV ever and we never got it to work. I spent 200 nights a year in hotels, so it must have been difficult to use! Internet is 12 euro per day for non-platinum spg members or 18 euro for two days.

Food: We ate breakfast daily at Restaurant Casanova. I selected breakfast as my platinum amenity. I strongly suggest doing this as breakfast is an astronomical 40 euro per person. I saved 80 euro per day and 320 euro over 4 days taking this option. The service at breakfast is average at best (as was the case among most restaurants we visited in Milan). There is a good selection of meats, cheeses, juices, cereals, pastries, teas etc for breakfast. There is also congee, scrambled eggs, sausage, crepes and pancakes. It is average and more than sufficient for breakfast. I have had worse i have had better.

Service: Sylvia at the front desk was excellent. Gian Luca the concierge was wonderful. He helped us with our trip to Lugano, dinner reservations and everything else. He sent us to very good MIlanese restaurants that were not very expensive. We never spent more than 82 euro on dinner. He suggested D'Lia, La Cadrega, El Brellin and Trattoria Nerino Dieci.

Overall an excellent stay and we would go back if in Milan. The rest of the service was just ok but nothing bad to write about.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Starwood M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Palace, Milan, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear EYtraveller,
Thank you for this detailed review and for the many insights shared, they will be of great help to fellow travelers and are valuable to us at the hotel. We care about our SPG guests and like to pamper them as much as possible, with upgrades and by offering full buffet breakfast when a Platinum member chooses this benefit. We are sorry to know that you found the TV system complicated, we will certainly look with our provider into ways it can be improved. We are very glad to know you loved your stay and found service excellent, we will not fail to share your kind words with Silvia and GianLuca.
We hope your travels will bring you again to Milan and to our hotel, be well until then!
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Sorry, but if I, or my company, pays more than Euros 250 I hope the hotel should be better kept. The shower head was plenty of lime and also the floor of the shower was.
The ceiling of the shower with the paint all in bad conditions. This is not such a this price hotel.
Also breakfast was not so good: some pastries and omelet, yogourt, coffee and so on but not good enough for a five stars hotel.
From my point of view, much to improve.

Dear Pe205,
First of all , thank you for sharing with us and other travelers your recent experience at our hotel. We fully understand that it was not a positive one and wish to offer our sincere apologies for this fact. The maintenance issues you highlighted were indeed unacceptable and that room should have been out of order and not assigned to a guest. Please rest assured that we will pay closer attention to maintenance until later in the year the planned room renovation will take care of things.
We do hope that, should your travels bring you again to Milan, you will consider trying out one of the new rooms and contact us at reviews.palacemilan at westin.com so that we can make sure everything runs smoothly with your stay.
With our best regards,
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed for a day in Milan and we wanted to stay near the center. The Westin was the best priced hotel in the area. We were not disappointed at all. What you would expect from a 'Palace Hotel' (luxurious decorations, very large rooms and beds, gorgeous bathrooms with marble) is what you will get if you stay at the Westin at Milan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pelican4u,
We’re so very glad to know that you and your family loved your brief stay with us. We truly appreciate your taking the time to share this feedback and hope you will return, maybe for a longer visit to Milan. Be well!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Had a quick stop in Milan and stayed at the Westin. I always find these hotels to be consistently good, and Milan was no different. Nice size rooms and bathrooms, very comfortable beds, and very good service. I would note that I was in one of what they said was a "renovated" room, so not sure how different the older rooms are so be aware of that. Good proximity to the train and other things in town.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Starwood M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Palace, Milan, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear DFarls,
We’re delighted to know that your stay, though brief, made a positive impression on a Westin aficionado like you are and that you found your room nice and comfortable. We do hope you will return for a longer visit to discover Milan. Be well!
The Westin Palace Milan

Been to The Westin Palace, Milan? Share your experiences!