“Not really good, didn't see the reason for the hype.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #6 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Sydney, Australia
“Not really good, didn't see the reason for the hype.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I let myself be influenced by reviews I read here but I was really dissappointed for what I got from this hotel. I don't understand the reason for the hype as, at its best, I think it's just average.
It's true that the location is excellent, 5 minutes walking from Milan Central Station, no problems to find it. But there is a plethora of other hotels around the area to choose from, this is just another one. Whether those others may offer better service or cheaper rates, I don't know, I should have researched more.
Their PR is fantastic. They send you emails welcoming you as soon as you make your booking and some days prior to your arrival. They also create a personal page asking for your preferences. Too bad that information you provide may not be used to make your stay more comfortable.
I had a quite uncomfortable stay because my room was too hot. I don't know whether that was unseasonal in Milan or not, as it was my first time there (I may receive that as an excuse) but I had stayed at several less pretentious hotels in Italy that did provide air conditioner all year round.
Because room was too hot (not to mention the small size, as that is quite normal for single rooms), I had to keep the window open to cool it and try to sleep, but many noises from the street outside woke me up several times through the night. I could barely sleep in this hotel.
I tried to use the wifi internet provided, (which by the way is becoming also the standard, nothing extraordinary about it), but it was too slow! And it stopped several times. Even worse, had to work uncomfortably seated with laptop on the bed, as there was no power point available around the desk, which could be just used then as a table.
On arrival, the first bad impression was the patronizing attitude from reception staff toward guests. However, I have to say that some of them were nice sometimes, but I never saw them really going out of their way to be friendly with guests, as mentioned by other travelers.
Breakfast was not included in my room rate. This was the only one of the 7 hotels I have stayed during my 2 week holidays in Italy were I had to pay extra for breakfast. It was also the most expensive but certainly not the best one. Ah! but I should have known better and paid a higher rate, may be the response I will receive, let's see.
In all, I agree that 3 stars should be the rating for this hotel, and that includes their great efforts at public relations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
CarloFontana-GM, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear AusverGeorge

We carefully read your comment, which certainly comes from an experienced traveler, and realize that when expectations run too high because of others guests comments, it becomes more and more difficult to surprise and satisfy our guests and that is always harder to fully meet and please everyone.

It seems that the main reason of your unsatisfactory experience was related to the room temperature, for which I clearly apologize.

In effect, during your time of stay, the city of Milan has experienced a very unusual climate, with temperatures reaching during the day an incredible 22 degrees (the warmest for this period in the last 50 years), which is normally expected at the end of May / beginning of June.

Honestly, as almost all hotels in Milan, we have been totally surprised by such unusual event and were not jet ready to start the air conditioning. Just imagine that at the beginning of April
– and we have already turned on our air-conditioning - we are experiencing the opposite situation with a minimum temperature of 7 degrees , having guests requiring heating instead of air-conditioning.

Unfortunately it’s more and more difficult to promptly react to such sudden climate changes, which are unfortunately unforeseen out of our control.

We were instead a bit surprised to read that you consider us not to be a four star hotel. We are a small family owned hotel, rooms are all different and not standard like found in chain hotels. We wish you would have reported your dissatisfaction with your room to the Reception Staff and we would have certainly shown you some of our upper categories (we offer 6 room categories that vary in size, furniture, upholstery, and amenities), helping you finding finding for only a small supplement the right typology.

Following your comment we provided to check the quality of our WiFi connection (we were the first Hotel In Italy to offer this service free of charge) and no particular issues were found.

Our main goal is to make all our guests feel welcome and comfortable while they are with us. We are very proud of our staff. They are always on hand to assist our guests in any way possible. We know there are areas where we can always improve and it seems, the majority of our guests appreciate our customer service.

Another major point of strength is considered to be our buffet breakfast. It is offered in all room rates (except the Room only product) and tries to satisfy the tastes of our international clientele.

We invite you to come back and on your next visit, should you wish for a better and larger room, do not hesitate to ask our reception staff at time of booking. They will be happy to assist you in booking a room that best suits your needs.

You are a valued guest and you feedback is important to us.

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Parsippany, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Me and My wife stayed at this hotel for 5 days and it was great experience. Location is great close to the station. Rooms are nice and comfortable , we stayed in new wing, I found them a bit clustered but very comfortable. Breakfast is awesome with so many choices. Staff was very very nice and helpful in guiding us were all to go. At first I and my wife was skeptical but when we stayed at this hotel it was great. Room had large windows and great view of the street. We really enjoyed the stay and any time in Milan we will blindly choose this hotel. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Fleet
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Berna on a 4 day business trip March 2012. The hotel is a couple of minutes walk from the Central Station. Buses to and from Malpensa Airport arrive and depart from here so very easy to get here from the Airport.
The hotel is also only about 100 metres from the Metro so getting about Milan is pretty easy. Those attending exhibitions at the big new exhibition centre (as I was) can get to Rho Fierra on the Metro with only one change at Cadorna. Return fare just 5 Euros, takes about 40 minutes
From outside the hotel looks average but inside it is warm and comfortable and has everything you need for a city centre stay. I had a single room and while it was a bit small (as you might expect in a city centre hotel) it was clean, comfortable and well equipped so no complaints.
Breakfast was a bit expensive at 12 Euros but to be fair there was a very large selection to choose from and you could eat as much as you like.
The hotel has a nice bar and a buffet restaurant. There is also a choice of several nice restaurants within easy walking distance.
I would be happy to stay here again and to recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms that look out onto the road
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

The Berna is very close to the train station and also to the bus station, which goes to the airport (to both 2 airports of Milano) When u get out from the station, just go head and Berna is at the second left street. There is a free internet_PC at the lobby, also u can have your free self-service coffee while surfing at net. We didn't want hotel to clean our room, and even want them not to clean, they phoned room if there is something wrong. Well, that was awkward but sounds nice to me :) .I would definitely stay here again, if I do second visit to Milano

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Gottingen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

The hotel is very centrally located within walking distance of Milano Centrale. It is quite oldfashioned, the hotel's best days have gone some time ago. I had a single room, the bed was small and very uncomfortable. During the night I couldn't open the window because of the noise in the street.
BUT: I haven't stayed in a business hotel for many years where I felt so comfortable because of the staff members. Their friendliness is overwhelming. Other positive aspects are that WLAN is free and that the hotel is 100% smoke free. The breakfast buffet is very good. The entire personal service is excellent, indeed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Customerrelationship, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Dear heimatfern,

we welcome all customers feedback positive or negative, this is how we can learn and hopefully improve upon the quality of our services.

I apologise you were not satisfied with your Standard single room.

We invest a lot and renovate every year many of our rooms in order to serve better our customers. We offer 6 different room categories which vary in size, furniture, upholstery and amenities. Standard, Standard Plus and Comfort are for single occupancy only; Comfort double, Quality double and Superior are for double sole use or double occupancy. We wish you would have reported your dissatisfaction with your room to the Reception Staff and we could have shown you – for just a small supplement – some of our upper categories.

We are indedd very glad you appreciated our location, which makes us a perfect base for visiting Milan, as well as our services: “100% smoke free” hotel, free WiFi, free minibar (only sotf drinks), buffet breakfast, etc.

But in particular we are very grateful for your wonderful comment and appreciations on our hospitality and service. It is always our pleasure to do all the best to make the stay of our guests as pleasant as possible.

Your satisfaction means really a lot to us and your feedback, which I know comes from a very experienced traveler, is for all of us a great boost of energy.

Please give us another chance to show you we are value for money.

Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We made a mistake on our Expedia reservation, submitting a request for one person when there were two of us. In spite of our foul up, The Berna front desk juggled things around and provided us with suitable accommodations. The breakfast was amazing, and very well attended at 7:00 when they opened. There is a nice snack corner providing coffee, tea, etc. (on the ground floor) around the clock. There were soft drinks and juice in our mini-bar which were complimentary. My only complaint, and it wasn't insignificant to me, was that the mattress was covered with a waterproof mattress cover. Even though it had a fleecy side, the "rubber" fabric caused me to perspire all night long. It was very uncomfortable to endure. The room was quiet, but I woke several times tossing the covers off while trying to find a cool spot to lay in.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012 via mobile

There is no doubt that this is a good hotel but I don't share the views of others that place it as high as it is in the ratings.

Positives first: Location is indeed great, close to Centrale FS. Staff are very friendly and the breakfast is excellent, particularly if you are partial to cake and chocolate for breakfast. The reception desk can be understaffed at times, though.

Negatives: my room was small (could possibly swing a small cat) but the bathroom was tiny and awkwardly arranged. Liquid soap is not my favourite for showering and the shower recess was so small there was barely room to move. My room overlooked the main street which tended to be noisy, so I decided to shut the windows for a bit of peace and use the airconditioner instead. Can't do it. Despite above average temperatures, they don't turn it on until May!!! Surely customer comfort should take a bit of priority over a fixed program.

There are a few other things mentioned in other posts (tiny sandpaper-like tissues hint - use the toilet paper - and the tiny lifts). Next time, I'd look elsewhere first, but I'd be prepared to stay there again at the right rate and now that I know what to expect.

3 1/2 is my tue rating for both this review and for the number of stars the hotel should have.

Stayed March 2012
Customerrelationship, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear codash1099,

my name is Carlo Fontana and I’m the GM of the Hotel Berna, which my family has run and operated with a great pride for hospitality since 1973.

I’m very pleased for your feedback and absolutely grateful for the time it must have taken you for writing in such details: this is how we can learn and hopefully improve upon the quality of our services.

I’m bit saddened to read that the size of your room didn’t meet your expectations. We are not a chain hotel where all the rooms are the same and offer several different room typologies able to meet different customers’ needs.
Our guests may choose between three rooms categories for single occupancy (Standard, Standard Plus, Comfort) and three categories for double occupancy (Comfort, Quality, Superior). They vary in size, furniture, upholstery and amenities and for a very small supplement you can book one of our recently renovated rooms (Standard Plus and Superior). Next time our Staff will be more than willing to assist you in finding the best solution.

With regard to the temperature, for all our readers it’s important to say that Milan is experiencing in this period a very unusual and exceptional climate, reaching an unbelievable 22 degrees during the day (the usual seasonal temperature is approximately 12 degrees), whereas durig the night and the early morning it goes back to 8/10 degrees. We have never seen a situation like this for the last 50 years.

The Hotel Berna - as all hotels in Milan - are used to turn on their air conditioning system at the end of April or beginning of May. This means that the temperatures of some rooms were warmer than usual – mainly depending on the temperature chosen by the guests staying before due to the climate variability – and were really very difficult to be managed. For this situation, which was unfortunately totally unexpected and out of our control, I truly apologize. We are indeed evaluating to turn on the air-conditioning system at the end of March.

We are glad you noticed our location, close to the central station, which is considered to be one of the best in the city and is most convenient if traveling by train or to and from all Milan airports via shuttle service. Also your praises on the friendliness of the Staff and quality of our breakfast mean really a lot to us.

Please come back and stay with us again and again.

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff

Been to Hotel Berna? Share your experiences!