“DO NOT stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #186 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
“DO NOT stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I recently had a terrible experience with this hotel, and its staff.

I had booked through booking.com for a night there. The following day I received an e-mail that Best Western had declined my reservation, and refused my card, as it was invalid. This didn't make any sense, so I followed the e-mail's instructions. They had said that I needed to provide booking.com with another credit card number, if I did not have another number to offer them - then I needed to contact the hotel directly. I did so.

I called the hotel, and spoke to the receptionist in Italian. When I gave him my name, he said that I was not in the computer's history - and when I explained the situation, he said in a patronizing tone, that I needed to contact booking.com, since they were the ones with whom I'd made the reservation. He informed me that their hotel had nothing to do with my situation, and that it was now up to me and booking.com to sort the mess out.

I called booking.com, and got in touch with their customer service department - which I have to say, were the friendliest people involved in this whole story. They were very informative, and made it very clear to me that they could not help me unless I could provide them with another credit card number. Since I couldn't do that - I needed to contact Best Western Hotel Mozart directly, since they were the ones who had...drum roll please...run my credit card and denied it.
Aha.

So I call Best Western for a second time, and speak to a different receptionist. Now, from here on out, everything is in English. He was a bit more friendly, and when I gave him my name, he said I was in the computer. Interesting. Was the first receptionist lying because he didn't want to deal with a customer who had booked through a different company? Perhaps.

After the second receptionist tells me that he would need to run the card's number again, and to call back later to see if it cleared, I did just that. Now for the third time that day, I called again. He was helpful enough, but informed me that since the card was going through (which still doesn't make sense, because my card was working fine that day at other places, it was clearly their system that wasn't working) I would need to send them an e-mail confirming my reservation for the date of my stay. I thanked him, but before hanging up I wanted the name of the man I'd spoken to earlier.

He put me on the phone with the first receptionist - Sergio. He was now all of a sudden super friendly and trying to tell me that they have a certain procedure and that they can't help me in anyway with regard to the credit card not going through, because they are not the ones with whom I booked: It was a matter I needed to take up with booking.com. Round and round we went until I was blue in the face, trying to explain to him that I had called them, and they said I needed to speak with the hotel directly. He wasn't rude: But not helpful at all, and would not try to fix the situation. I told him I would speak to him later.

I called back for a fourth time that night, and he finally told me the following, "Yes...I was just talking to my colleague here, and we have decided - there's really no need to make this so complicated for a guest who is only staying one night." Wow - you shouldn't make it complicated for a guest who is staying any number of nights. "So, when you arrive, you don't need to send us an e-mail first, we will just hold your reservation."
I thanked him, but still wanted to talk to the manager about the whole situation, vent a bit about how it should not have been so difficult to arrive at this solution to begin with, and also to ask him to send me some kind of confirmation that I would have a room for the night.

So, I called back the next day to speak with the manager, Luca, who I was expecting to be patient and listen to what I had to say. Wow. I was so, so wrong.

He greeted me politely and asked me how he could help. I began to tell him my situation and I was very friendly trying to just explain calmly what had happened with my credit card the day before, and then what had happened with his staff. Once I got about half way into the story, he cut me off curtly and explained that they have nothing to do with the credit card, and that there was nothing he could do to help me. He tried explaining that I needed to contact booking.com as they were the website with whom I'd booked - and that since it wasn't through Best Western, there was nothing he could do to help me. OK? I politely tried to explain that, while I understood what he was saying, that's not what the e-mail had stated, and that booking.com had advised me to contact the hotel directly. He then began to raise his voice, cutting me off again and explained again to me what he had just finished saying.
Once more, I tried to tell him calmly that it was impossible for booking.com to do anything because they'd informed me that Best Western was the one who ran my card. When I would ask a question, Luca cut me off, and then he began yelling, "Madam! We have rules! If you don't want to respect our rules, then that is your problem?! OK?" No, this was not okay. He continually raised his voice, telling me their "rules" and "policies" about the card, and that there was nothing he could do to help me. AT ALL.

I asked who his supervisor was. He responded, "I am the reservations manager."
"And who is your supervisor?"
"I am the supervisor today."
"I want the name of your supervisor."
"Madam, I am the manager today."

I was very upset, and when he told me not to "scream into the phone", because now I had started raising my voice, I responded, "I have to because you keep interrupting me and won't let me explain anything." He clearly grew tired of the conversation, and so ended it finally on his own by saying, "Madam. We have rules! If you don't want to respect our rules then that is your choice. Okay? Okay. Goodbye." click. He hung up the phone without allowing me to EVER counter his spiel or to let me explain the entire story. Not to mention yelling at a customer! I was horrified.

I immediately called back. Ten seconds after he'd hung up on me, another receptionist informed me that Luca was now in the manager's office, and could not be disturbed. I politely told him to pass along a message to Luca, letting him know that we would not be staying at their hotel, and that I would be calling the district manager of Milan, and also leaving a bad review on TripAdvisor - and here we are. Since then, I have taken measures to ensure that people high up in the Best Western chain, know of what happened.

I am disgusted and outraged that a manager of any hotel, let alone a place like Best Western would speak to a customer in such a way - and then the topper, to hang up on them!

My advice to all of you is to not spend any money here!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel in a residential district beside the lovely Corso Sempione. An enjoyable 20 min walk will get you from the hotel to central Milan by going down Corso Sempione & through Milan's beautiful Park (Parco Sempione) so location was excellent and views spectacular. Area is not packed with tourists which is good.
The hotel is very good value for money. There is also a tram that operates every 15 mins if your not the walking type. All staff were fantastic. Especially Niccolo (Reception) who had time to answer all questions & made me feel i was paying 3* prices with 5* services.
The continental breakfast was thoroughly enjoyable & there was a wide selection to choose from including the freshest strawberries I've ever had.
Would I stay here again? Absolutely!

• Stayed June 2013
Antwerp
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hotel is good but one needs to be cautios about the room he gets
We reserved a Superior room but we where disappointed when we got to the room as small and not in line with the pictures shown. First of all the standard rooms are rooms which are not renewed yet. But we had a superior = renovated one, still it was small with one window and a very small bathroom. Mainly the badroom was a shame as it smelled due to lack of air circulation. Anyhow we complained and we would get a new room in the morning. We asked for it again and we got the room we expected. from there on all went well and nice
New room was great
with nice bathroom
Breakfast is good
staff is friendly *
location was ok for us / little bit outside but that was ok, even if you need to know which are the many busses and trams in the neighborhood - Hotel could improve here by providing this info !!

2 remarks on the staff,
A - did not appreciate that when we ordered a taxi to Malpena they booked a limoservice and guaranteed us a price of 100 while the normal taxi we asked for has a official fare of 90 = 10 Euro for the hotel staff :-) ( for the hotel info = person at the desk nightshift Saturday night 11/5)
B - When I asked if there was a supermarket in the neighborhood they told me NO, while there is one at 400 meter going left in the same street as the hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

When My finace and I arrive the hotel in the morning. reception was nice and let us check in early. then we can drop off our baggage in the room. We can take off to the Rho furnitures show.

When we come back to hotel, the reception was different, we ask him to few questions and he was giving attitude, doesn't want to speak with me. I was so mad, i was so disappoint chose this hotel. The reason, I chose this hotel, they are close to fair and provided shuttle bus. Which I made a big mistake.

The room is small, is not like the pictures shown in the website, as big.

we have stayed here for 4 night, i am glad that i will be spend most of time out, only time i will be in hotel is sleep and clean.

however, the shower, the water was so small, and they will not refill the anything in the bathroom, when you finish it.

Also, the wall is thin, I can heard ppl talking, showering, water raising.....etc.

I cannot wait to check out and go back home.

I will never come back here again. I rather spend a bit more money to other hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Jinjiang, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Comfort of the room is not good and worst of all there were bugs in our rooms ( all of the 3 rooms). I guess Hotel needs Pest control!... Rooms & Beds are small in size. Furnitures are old only good thing about hotel is friendly staff & generous bartender.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed in this hotel on a 2 night stay with a group of friends, found it to have a nice ambience with attentive polite staff. rooms/bathrooms we found to be spotlessly clean with sufficient space overall for a short stay. Breakfast was fine, enough variety to keep most people satisfied. The only gripe I would have is the location which we found to be to far from the metro for our liking. Taxis were ordered by hotel staff and arrived within minutes so no complaint there. Would I stay here again, probably not due only to the location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stay for one night and was great!!! The room had everything we spect with a great view to the plats!! The breakfast was great with different kind of fruits, drinks, local cheese and jam, croissants!!! Near the restaurant there are two good restaurants to choose, one is gourmet and the other one is a daily restaurant!! We went to te second one and the food is great!! Local dishes and a very good price!!

The hotel has many pros, but it wasnt perfect!! The biggest problem is the Location and it doesn't help the mobility!! The hotel isn't near to the center so you can't go walking to any important tourist places, so you have to take a train, but the train station is around 15 min walking!!!

Highly recommended if you don't care walking a bit!!!

• Stayed December 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Mozart? Share your experiences!