“Love mosquitoes?” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Paris, France
“Love mosquitoes?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I booked a two night stay in mid-November for a conference I was attending at Melia Milano. Upon arriving the hotel appeared to be a typical business-oriented hotel. But as my night progressed, it turned into something from a bad horror movie.

I first noticed the mosquitoes early in the evening. I killed 2 or 3 before heading to bed and scoured the room to make sure there weren't any more and that the windows were tightly shut. However, shortly after turning out the light I heard buzzing near my head so I was back up and trying to track down the mosquito. The entire night proceeded in this fashion. As soon as I was close to falling into a nervous sleep, the buzzing would start again, I would turn on the lights, kill a mosquito or two, then try to get back to sleep.

When the night was done I had tallied 14 mosquitoes but only 1-2 hours of very bad sleep -- the type of bad sleep where you are periodically slapping your head in some strange level of dozing. That was rough with a day of business meetings and presentations ahead.

Before the night was over I did my Tripadvisor research (which I normally would have done before booking but this location was arranged and paid through the conference I was attending), saw the multiple reports of mosquito problems, and immediately booked elsewhere for my second night in Milan. I couldn't take the possibility of another room and another night of mosquitoes.

I've never had a worse night sleep in all my years of frequent business travel and have never encountered anything like this, even in stays within Sub-Saharan Africa, Southeast Asia and tropical Latin America. May I never experience this horror again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
Castellammare del Golfo, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

This is my second stay in this hotel for conferences. Has own conference facilities and also near to the MICO convention centre.
Has a grand feel to it. Room very well appointed if slightly on the small side. Breakfast excellent and food, inc room service high quality. Internet charged after 1 hour and overpriced. Staff efficient and friendly.
Close to Loto underground rail and €1.5 to Duomo taking 15'.
Nice jogging up to San Siro stadium and nice park.
My room faced inner quad and noisy with sound of bottles crashing into bins.
Didn't pay for room so can't comment on value but can recommend. For some reason there was a fab e-type jag in reception. See photo !

• Stayed November 2012
rregolini, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Melia Milano, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear MaximillianJ,

Thank you for sharing! The fab e-type jag is Diabolik’s car! Diabolik is a famous Italian comic that celebrate 50th anniversary this year. We catch it the opportunity to revamp his history dedicating him a theme Room. Careful, it is not a normal comic room, it is a real experience. It is the real Diabolik’s bedroom and you can also find a treasure in it. Come to Melia Milano and discover it! If you want to know more follow us on facebook.

Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel looks grand, but is far from it in terms of the quality of stay and standards of service. I travel extensively and this hotel is one of the worst I have ever stayed in!

In summary, food is simply dreadful (how can you get vile pasta and risotto in Italy?!), even the 'hot' food at breakfast is cold and the group I was with hardly ate any of the dishes we had at our 3 course meal on the second evening of our stay - our complaints were met with ignorance and distain.

By far the worst issue was the infestation of mosquitoes, which attacked our business group - 9 of us ended up covered in bites and our requests for anti-mosquito plugs in our bedrooms were completely ignored.

The staff really gave the impression that they couldn't care less about our comfort or needs.

I cannot stress enough - DO NOT pay a fortune to stay in this dreadful place - you have been warned!

Room Tip: Here's a tip - don't book any room here - find a different hotel!
Dear Bigsnakey,

We deeply regret for the experience you describe with your post.
We kindly ask you to take contact with the hotel directly in order to better analyze the situation and sort the problem out for the future.
Thank you for the time you invested on share your feelings. I hope to hear from you soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

the location is a bit tricky, but is in front a metro station, so you don't feel it so much. But is a Melia, whit all the quality of the franchise. And the hotel restaurant, is a must! And I never would known about it if I don't went to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Doutorderrame,

Delighted to know you enjoyed our food experience at Alacena Restaurant! It’s true, for those people who visit the Hotel is a must. We are also improving the external lay out of the Restaurant Entrance because we want to be more attractive also for the people living the city.
We wait you soon again!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Two nights stay at this hotel and it all went wrong from the beginning.

First of all the good things. Room met the expectation of a 5* Hotel. Had a Deluxe room which was ok. Only downside where the very hard pillows.

Now the rest. We waited about ten minutes at check in even though there was only one guest in front of us. All the other staff was busy with other things. When it was our turn we got to know what italian hospitality means. Nothing at all. Front staff was arrogant and snobby. That was a pattern we found ongoing in this hotel.

Breakfast was very unorganised on a Sunday morning had to wait for a table just to be offered a place in the corner. Did not except that place and showed a larger table to the waiter we wanted. Again we got an attitude from the staff telling us a party of two can not have a bigger table. That was when I pointed out that I was the guest and I would like to make that decision. At that stage actually a member of senior staff showed up and took care of the situation. Buffet was not refilled and staff was just not able to deal with the amount of guests.

On the evening at dinner again we had to deal with a very arrogant waiter. On the dinner one of the waiters even ran in to me and did not apologise at all. Again he ran into me, not I into him.

I could take this on and on with other things as well (last example fruit basket in our room was rotten) but its just not worth putting effort into it.

Two points only because hotel rooms were ok. Forget the rest.

Would not recommend at all.....

Dear Pitmueller

What a terrible surprise for us knowing about your bad experience through a posted review.
We are sincerely sorry to read about several inconveniences occurred during your stay. Your post has been commented in the General Manager office with all the Head of Department. It is important for us understand and learn how to avoid happenings like the ones you describe.
We mostly regret for the Staff attitude you mention. Melia Milano and Melia Hotels International are strongly focused on the Passion for Service and we daily take care and follow up about this important aspect. We would like to better analyze what happened so we would really appreciate if you could contact directly the hotel.

Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a convention. The hotel is walking distance from the MiCo convention Center and the orange metro line and 4 stops from the Duomo.

The hotel itself is spectacular with a beautiful lobby and bar area. The whole main area and meeting rooms is grand with a very luxurious look.

The buffet was amazing with lots of different offers from made to order eggs and omelettes to freshly baked pastries and fruits to sparkling wine.

The lobby bar was also very nice and we got really good service from Gabriele who was friendly and helpful. We often met our friend there for a few beverages.

The room however was a different story. Not sure if all the rooms were that way but ours was small and not at all convenient. There was a HUGE pillar in the centre of the room and we constantly had to skirt around it to move in the room.

The shower was basically a drain in the middle of the bathroom with a curtain that hung from the shower head. We had to do some gymnastics to get to close the curtain and take a shower without flooding the whole room. The floor was marble and very slippery hence our concern about this type of shower.

In the room nothing worked. The TV did not work, the safe did not work and the High Speed internet did not work. Some co-workers complained that when it did work, the speed was extremely slow. This sounds very strange from a hotel that is primarily catering to business people attending conventions.

Go for a Pizza the restaurant across the street!

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before accepting.
Dear gcimon

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing with us your experience.
We are pleased to know that you appreciated our Service and our Staff attitude.
Feelings are made by People, we strongly believe in this value and we work on it every day.
We are sorry to know only now your disappointment about the room you occupied.
Any kind of guest comment is taken into serious account and we are sure we could do something to avoid any inconvenience during your stay.Thank you for giving us the chance to keep in touch with you, we hope to see you again and to make your next stay unforgettable.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Its very 1970's but then again its the same as most of the hotels in this area and this appears to be one of the better ones.
The rooms are spacious but with not enough light for my liking. The restaurant is very good however. Gym very small. I didnt use it in the end.

Its really a convenient place to stay if on business and attending a conference. If you are looking to stay as a tourist i would definitely stay closer to town as its around a 15 minute taxi ride to Duomo

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
rregolini, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Melia Milano, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear babyvic

Thank you for sharing with us your feelings about the experience at Meliá Milano. I'm sorry that your stay has not been up to your expectations. The hotel, situated in a strategic location in the area of the FieramilanoCity it is just a few minutes ride on the Milan metro from both the new trade fair centre in Rho for business reason and the city centre for shopping time. For your next pleasant breaks I suggest you try our new “Diabolik Experience Room” created to celebrate the 50th Annivesary of the famous Italian comic: Diabolik. We hope to see you soon at Meliá Milano.

e-Guest Experience

Been to Melia Milano? Share your experiences!