“Great weekend break hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #61 of 432 hotels in Milan
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great weekend break hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and our 21 year old son and 17 year old daughter had a 4 night stay here at the end of August. I could not fault the hotel during our stay. The interior decor is to a high standard. The rooms sizes were perfectly adequate for a weekend break. I would say similar in size as a typical premier inn room. Considering what we paid I would say it was very good value for money. I cannot agree with the comments regarding small bathrooms as the bathrooms of the two rooms we stayed in were fine. My son and I are 6'2" and we had no problem using any of the facilities. Maybe we had a larger bathroom than other reviewers have commented on. Breakfast was OK and pretty typical of other hotels i've stayed in abroad. Scrambled egg and bacon, cold meats and cheeses, cereals, yogurts and fruit, etc. The hotel location is very good for the metro and trams and is also very well placed for the open top bus tour route. The walk to the centre of Milan is about 20-25 minutes. The staff are all very pleasant and the reception staff we found extremely helpful. Free wiFi is a bonus and another nice touch is the free cookies and apples that were always available in the reception area. The weather wasn't too good but the hotel let us borrow umbrellas each day which saved us the trouble and expense of buying some from the prolific number of umbrella salesmen that appeared once the clouds opened. We had an early flight on the day of departure so the reception staff arranged a packed breakfast for each of us including one with all gluten free items for my daughter. I would have no hesitation in staying here again or recommending it to friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

422 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May and had a great weekend. The room was small which meant it got a bit hot but it was very clean, nicely decorated with a comfortable bed and good shower.

There was a nice bar downstairs with an outdoor covered seating area which was very comfortable and we sat having a few drinks there on a couple of nights whilst watching and listening to the rain! The staff were also very friendly and helpful when we asked their advice about visiting the San Siro stadium. There was plenty to choose from at breakfast and always clean tables available.

The location is about a 10 minute walk to the station although it is a bit of a longer walk down to the attractions and main shopping areas but the subway system is easy to navigate if you get tired walking! The main negative of the hotel location was that there wasn't a huge amount in the way of restaurant and bars nearby for going out in the evening but it didn't prove too much of a problem.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and would certainy use again if I was to return to Milan.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed for two nights on business recently, all in all its a good city center hotel.

The good:
Location - Walking distance to most of the center and good access to metro and trams.
Staff - All staff spoke english and gave a good level of service.
Decor - Nice decor and well
Value for money - Good value for money!

The ok:
Breakfast - Self help coffee is only ok and the food is ok but nothing special. The rolls with olives taste very nice though!
Air Conditioning - the rooms have air con but the these are switched off by room service so the room is like a oven when you return to the room after a long and hot day in the office.

Challenges:
Rooms - The rooms are very small, the bathroom is so small that when you try to sit down on the toilet you hit your head off the wall. I nearly knocked myself out the first time! You also have to dodge the toilet to try and get in the small shower. I have been in smaller rooms but that was Tokyo ! The desk in the room is also very small that trying to get a laptop to fit is a bit of a knightmare, so much so they offer a laptop tray.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Had a 3 night stay in this hotel in early August. The hotel is very well positioned for the local attractions in Milan. About 5 mins walking to the main railway station and about 15 minutes walking to the duomo. (Providing you dont stop to look at all the shops en-route).
I arrived at the hotel at about 12.45 and my room wasn't ready so I left my luggage and went out for a spot of lunch. Upon my return shortly after 2pm the room still wasn't ready due to a shortage of cleaning staff that day. The receptionist was very appologetic and gave me a free room upgrade.
The room was very smartly furnished and spotlessly clean.Tea and coffee making facilities were provides. Large flat screen TV and Free Wi-Fi. The bathroom was large and stocked with toiletries and plenty of clean towels which were changed daily.
The public areas were very nice and elegantly designed, with lots of seating provided in a nice cool atmosphere.
Unfortunately I didn't make it down for breakfast so I am unable to comment on this. But if the rest of the hotel is anything to go by I would say the breakfast should be excellent!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Good location. 15 min walking from the train station Milano Centrale and close to the shopping area and the Metro. Nice and clean rooms. The personal is really nice and helpful. If I come back to Milano I will definately choose this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My best friend and I visited Milan for the first time to celebrate both turning 30 this year.
We found a good deal including flights and did our best to find a hotel with a central location. When arriving in Milan we used the local bus shuttle from the airport which cost 10 euros and then used the metro service from the central station to central Milan. If you can use the London underground, you can use the metro service in Milan, it was cheap, quick and easy. The hotel write up describes a 200 metre walk from the metro stop to the hotel. I would say this is correct. We did get lost a few times and ended up further back than we should be; it was full of groups just standing around so you do need to be careful.

When we found the hotel we were both happy with the choice straight away. I boasts 3 beautiful chandeliers in the lobby area and it is clean. Check in was easy and straight forward, we were seen by Guiliano who was friendly and seemed to be expecting us. We had booked a double room but he asked if this was ok and moved us to a twin room which was much better. The rooms were a good size, lovely wooden floors and fully tiled bathroom, no bath but a good powerful shower with huge shower head. Our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and the bed made which was great. There were also two big mirrors and wardrobe space, for two girls this was a must so we were happy!

Breakfast was included in our deal. It finishes at 10am so plenty time to get up dressed and down for something to eat. There was a good selection to choose from including scrambled eggs, bacon, bread, bread rolls, fruit, yoghurts, coffee and a good selection of tea and herbal teas which was great for me as i only drink herbal tea. There was also a toaster available to toast the bread and you could choose from brown or white.

After a day of sight seeing in the local area and over in duomo which was only 3 metro stops away, we relaxed in the terraced area back at the hotel. It is covered over which is nice but would also be nice to sit and catch some sun too. We were greeted by a young barman after sitting there a while who asked if we would like to order drinks. They had no rose wine but a very good white wine and he also brought some snacks out too. He was very friendly and professional, it was a nice addition as it meant we didn't have to get up to go to the small bar. He didn't hassle us for payment either, simply asked for the room number and brought out a bill for us to sign so pay later.

Again Guiliano came to the rescue when choosing somewhere for dinner, he ordered a taxi for us to the como area where we had a great meal outside. There were also bars there too so perfect for a good evening out. The restuarant we chose was right next to a bar playing music so we felt like we were in a club but eating, was good fun and added to the atmosphere. Guiliano was great in calling restaurants for us to check they were open as we went during the local holiday season. He was also helpful in showing us on the map where things were and giving us help with distances, thank you!

Over all a great city 4 day break in a fantastic country. Only thing i would criticise is the room only had one plug socket so for two girls to get ready in the evenings, charge mobile phones etc it wasn't great. Only one pillow provided but i am sure they would have provided more if we remembered to ask. Walls are extremely thin so you hear your neighbours flushing the loo!
A few things to be aware of in Milan:
- Milan has their holiday period in August, something we had read but thought we would take a chance. It is true so there are quite a lot of shops and restaurants closed in central Milan but still a lot open.
- There is a lot of graffiti in central Milan, it can be off putting but you can still see the beauty of the buildings. The city reminded me of New York, everything is built upwards so you almost have blocks. It can be quite difficult to remember the way as it can all start to look the same
- Not all Italians are helpful and friendly, they have an awful habit of slamming your change on the counter despite you being stood there with your hand out to receive it. We got used to it very quickly but not nice at first
- You must visit duomo, it has a beautiful cathedral and is the place to be for good cafes' and restaurants. Have coffee at the gucci cafe and lunch at the obikia mozzarella bar, food is to die for. Also try savini for dinner as a treat, it is expensive but its Milan so why not!
- Visit Grom for the best ice cream you will ever taste, my friend had peach and vanilla i had hazelnut and vanilla, amazing!
- Be wary of bag snatchers, something that happens everywhere but just be aware of it. We were shopping and witnessed it for ourselves on our first day!

All in all a fantastic break with a great friend, excellent hotel with great central location, friendly helpful staff and good quality breakfast!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on a higher floor, we were first floor so missed out on great views.