“good location, decent rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Zurigo Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso Italia 11/a, 20122 Milan, Italy (Centro Storico)   |
Ranked #189 of 432 Hotels in Milan
Bern
“good location, decent rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We chose Zurigo on our recent trip to Milan because of its location and the TA reviews. The Hotel is indeed centrally located, walking distance from the Duomo, close to several historic landmarks. Ou room on the 3rd floor was spacy and cleay, the decor was simple but offered decent comfort, good bathroom. The main disadvantage was very poor sound isolation, so that conversations and TV next door sounded like it would have been right by us - we ended up turning some music on for the nigtht just to avoid hearaing the neighbours ! The Air Conditioning was not working properly - probably only the vent functioned. The breakfast room is very tiny and can be crowded - it shares the service and space of the coffee bar, the breakfast itself is average, but thanks the coffee shop, the coffee is excellent. Service in the breakfast area could be improved (taking orders and serving them, cleaning the tables).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that have a door connecting to another room - thi worsens the sound isolation further
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Coventry, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

At 128 Euros a night ($171 USD) the room was adequate with a bath with shower. The staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was meager compared to our stays in Rome, Sorrento and Florence and was presented in a section of a coffee streetside bar.
The Doumo was a 10 minute walk and the subway is 2 blocks. This made it convenient to get around the city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and two teenage children have just spent a very happy 3 days at the Zurigo Hotel. We found it excellent in every respect- very comfortable large room for the 4 of us with two spotless bathrooms, very quiet and good air conditioning. The location is very good as is the breakfast. The staff were very helpful. The hotel also has a nice little bar for aperitifs with delicious snacks. I would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Isfahan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

It is located 1 km (10 minute walk) from Duomo Milan (Cathedral of Milan) and Pallazzo Piazza, two historical sites of Milan. Moreover it is near subway station. I like its location. The staff was friendly and the price was resonable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Berkeley, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Super small room and very noisy. The room was stuffy, and there was no air conditioner so we had to open the windows but it was a busy street and heard everything going on outside all night long. It was clean, the tub was great for a nice soak. Glad we only had one night here and would stay elsewhere in Milan next time. Location was good for the historic center. Breakfast was good but the room was very tight where the food was provided. Not the worst, but definitely not the best either.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Unfortunately my girlfriend and I did not have a pleasant stay in Zurigo Hotel. We wanted to check out the very same night we checked in.
Let me share with you my encounters during my 2 nights stay. On the 1st night we checked in the hotel, we were been ushered to a tiny room with very dim lighting on 2nd floor. When I tried to open the restroom door, I couldn’t open it. The hotel porter managed to open the restroom door after that. However, the tiny dimly lighted room did not give me a comfort feel; moreover the restroom door couldn’t be opened. Therefore I requested to change room and mentioned to the porter that I do not wish to be trapped in a locked restroom later if I stay in.
The porter then brought us to another hotel room on 2nd floor. I stood at the corridor end observing his moves. He first knocked the door then he opened it. He then turned his head and was startled when he saw me. My thoughts were why did he have to knock the door first? Didn’t he know if the guest has checked out or not? Why should he be startled to see a guest standing at the corridor end? Isn’t it normal to see hotel guests walking around in hotel?
Anyway, as we walked over from 1st to 2nd room on the 2nd floor, we noticed that it wasn’t a double bed room that we wanted but a queen size bed. So we insisted that we want a double bed room per our advance booking.
Subsequently, the porter brought us to a room at the 1st floor. This room is brighter & bigger as compared to the rooms on 2nd floor. So we decided upon this room. What happened next really draw my last string. My girlfriend went for her shower. I accompanied her outside the shower room as we both didn’t feel comfortable after our experiences on 2nd floor. After her shower, the shower room was flooded with water. It took quite a long time for the water to dissipate. Needless to say I didn’t take my shower that night. We didn’t feel comfortable at all. As it was very late, although we wished to check out even though we knew that we cannot get our advance payment back, we eventually decided to stay in for the 1st night since it was not safe for two pretty ladies to walk around in Milan city to hunt for hotel at late night.
The restroom door gave a squeaky sound when we walked past it. We concluded that it is due to the flooring not done properly. As for the shower room flooding, we concluded that it was clogged and thus, the water flowed down very slowly. I wanted to complain again but my girlfriend felt that it was too late to lodge our complaints or change room again. Moreover, the reception man was unfriendly and rude.
We kept the light on throughout the night. Frankly speaking, I didn’t manage to fall asleep at all! The beds were stiff! Pillows were not fluffy enough to support the neck.
Overall, a VERY BAD experience for my girlfriend & I. The room charges were not cheap although it has the proximity and within walking distance from city center.
We were really glad when we finally checked out the hotel the following day. I strongly DO NOT recommend Zurigo Hotel in Milan to anybody. You can get better hotels at cheaper rates in Milan. It may not be near the city center but as long as you can easily take a train or tram, it is better than staying in a “spooky” hotel with bad attitude reception staff near city center. It is important for you to feel comfortable with the room ambience when you first open the hotel room door.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We turned up at the hotel on the day of our booking, and were told our booking was actually for the previous night. This seems to be a glitch in the booking software on the website - once you enter the date you want to book, but then click on any other link, it will re-set to the current day. SO....rather than booking for the following day, we had actually booked for that day. They made us pay for the room again, even though they were not fully booked

We asked the hotel for a kettle to boil water, and were told it was illegal to boil water in Italy and to iron. Given we had a young baby who required boiled water, we were left stranded.....

One further thing....when we checked in to the hotel, the lift was not working. We were told our bags would be brought up to our room in 5 minutes. An hour later, we rang and asked where our bags were, and were told they were on the way up. Another 30 minutes later, we went down to reception and behold, there were our bags....completely unattended and left in the foyer.

I would not be recommending this hotel in a hurry, although the hotel was excellent value for money

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Zurigo Hotel? Share your experiences!