“only good...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 432 hotels in Milan
Irdning
“only good...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

... of the hotel is the place.
as we stay every week in Milan, this time we tried the Galles direct at
the Shopping Street Buenos Aires.

We got Single Rooms, which are really only for single. The shower is very small,
the rooms are older furnished. We tried to buy upgrade, but no chance on the Reception.
(because of Booking.com)

As we are on business trips, we usually need WLAN for our work to do,
unfortunately with this WLAN in the Hotel we had toubles to check in, to get connection,
and also the Ports for Video Calling (Skype or Facetime) were blocked or not working....

Breakfast buffet was standard.

All in all resume: good for weekend shoppers, but try to pay little more to get bigger rooms.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sbarretti, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel Galles, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review on your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN Hotel Galles. We are glad you enjoyed the Hotel’s location. Upgrade is available at extra charge to all guests, indistinctively from the website they book from. Upgrade is subject to availability and upgrade may not have not been available during the time of your stay. In regards to your WLAN connection , please note that companies PC have installed a DNS server. In order to access to a free Wi-Fi spot, this DNS server shall be disabled temporarily in order for the Wi-Fi to work. We apologize for the inconvenience. The Hotel is well suited for either business or leisure travelers. In fact the Hotel offers specific rooms to accommodate business needs with special services to make each stay comfortable. In the hope of welcoming you again to Milan, please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Kind Regards, Arnaldo Sbarretti, General Manager

982 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Newport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel between 15/17 Oct, 13. While touring Italy. The location of the hotel was convenient. The room was not up to four stars hotel stander, and breakfast was very poor. And it cost Eruo120 for taxi to airport. We left the hotel one morning for a trip by bus, unfortunately I have left my new mobile telephone in the room, when we returned to the hotel my telephone was stolen. I went to reception to find out if the house keepers have left it in lost and found I was told there was nothing left. I requested to see the manager, I had to wait 45 Minutes and I only had two hours before my next flight. When I seen Mr. Stefano Benazzi (Manager) he did apologies for the incident, and mentioned house keeping are not Best western staff, but he promised to investigate and will let me know the result, as well as I will be refunded for the telephone. I have never heard from Mr. Benazzi despite writing to him.

Room Tip: Make sure you don’t leave valuables in your room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sbarretti, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel Galles, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for having shared your recent experience at the BEST WESTERN Hotel Galles.
We are very sorry to hear about the inconvenience you had. Mr. Benazzi was one of our Duty Manager in charge during the time of your stay. At the time you asked for the Duty manager, Mr Benazzi was having dinner. As soon as he received the call from the Front Desk personnel , requesting his assistance , he immediately finished his dinner break and assisted you. Mr Benazzi gave to you his business card as said that he would have investigated into this matter further and get back to you as soon as possible. We have a record in our e-mail inbox that both our Front Office personnel and Mr Benazzi wrote to you respectively on October 21st and 27th 2013 saying than unfortunately after careful checking with our housekeeping department no mobile phone was found . We have never received any reply from you. We do understand your inconvenience and If you wish to contact me for more information, please do so at marketing@galles.it and I will be more than happy assist you. Kind Regards, Arnaldo Sbarretti, General Manager
Dendermonde, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Went for a 4 day visit of Milan,.
Pro:
- Very good location , near to the metro Lima (1 min)
- Clean rooms
- The spa room ( sauna / swimming pool ..)
- Friendly reception

Cons:
- Very (very) small rooms ( nothing compared to the foto's on the brochure)
- Very noisy
- Internet ( Wireless very slow) not suitable for Voip.
- Breakfast : Not bad ,but Not up to standards for a 4* hotel , for instance coffee from machine the cappuccino is really bad , also no fresh orange juice etc
- The restaurant : one word : BAD don't order there , the only thing that was ok was the wine

Room Tip: Ask for a chamber on the highest floor ( Metro / elevator !!)
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review on you recent stay at the Hotel Galles. We are glad you enjoyed the Hotel’s location, cleanliness of rooms and facilities. Thank you for your nice words regarding our staff friendliness, I am sure they will very happy about it.
The Hotel resides in a 19th century palace so rooms may differ in type, color and size. For example Classic Room are slightly smaller than Superiors, as well as Suite are bigger than Superior. The Hotel has recently installed one of the latest and strongest Wifi technology in order to provide guest with the fastest WIfi Connection. I kindly ask you to contact me directly at marketing@galles.it with your personal details so I can personally check the Wifi connection in the room you stayed in. Regarding you mention about breakfast and dining, please be assure that our Chef Moreno delights guests with exquisite dishes. We often receive praise on your restaurant quality and that’s what we are proud of. We are sorry to hear that from you. At breakfast coffee machines are available. However our Restaurant Staff is at disposal for any requests of freshly coffee or cappuccino. The service is included so no extra cost is applied.
In the hope of your kind email, I remain at disposal for any further assistance you may require. Kind Regards, Arnaldo Sbarretti, General Manager
Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a decent hotel; I've stayed in Best Westerns all over Italy, and this was middle-of-the-pack. It does offer a really good location, particularly being right on the Metro. (However, in our first-floor room, you could hear and feel the vibration when a train passed). The breakfast was good, and the room was a decent size for Europe. However, the room was very warm (even in October) and the air conditioner did not appear to work; when asked, the staff were confused as to why we needed air conditioning in October. Nothing was done about it.

My main concern, however, regards misinformation by the hotel staff:
(1) I arranged through the hotel website to have a massage the day of my arrival - and received an automated confirmation e-mail. However, when I asked, I was told that there was no record of my reservation. By the way, the website is a bit misleading as well; unlike some hotels with a "spa", services like massage are provided by an offsite third-party.
(2) the front desk advertises car transfers to various sites. We arranged for a transfer to Malpensa airport. I asked SPECIFICALLY if this was a private car service, or a taxi - and was told it was a private car, with a "flat rate" (their words) of 95 euro. In fact, the desk person said it was preferable to taxis, because it was a flat rate. The next morning, the car was indeed a taxi. By the time we reached Malpensa, the bill was 130 euro.

My advice: question ANYTHING you are told by the desk staff. I am not a naive, inexperienced traveller - yet I feel that I got taken. This is the only experience I've had like this in 6 extended trips to Italy in the past 7 years.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room on the first floor. If traveling during warm weather, ensure your air conditio...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sbarretti, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel Galles, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN Hotel Galles.
We are glad you enjoyed the Hotel’s location and breakfast. However we are sorry to hear that your stay with us did not entirely meet your expectation. Some of the rooms have air-conditioning unit installed in rooms as to enable guests to set room’s temperature as they prefer. We do apologize for not having provided you with the adequate assistance as we always try to fully meet guests requirements. During autumn season, air conditioning shall be switched off, as per Italian Regulation aiming at decreasing the level of CO2 emission.
Massage treatments are available in-house in our Fitness Centre & SPA and subject to availability . Reservation is required with at least 72 hr notice before arrival. All terms and conditions of the service are clearly outlined on our website. You can book this service on your website or by sending an email at info@galles.it. From our website, you can select the massage from the drop down menu available in the add products section. Once selected it will directly be added to your confirmation email. The confirmation e-mail you received is an automated email response you received once you have completed the reservation process on our website. In this confirmation email, all the extra products you have selected at the time of reservation are clearly outlined. Unfortunately no massage treatment’s request was included. The only requirement we received with your reservation was your request for a non- smoking room.
As per Hotel’s policy, staff at reception shall provide guests with two different types of transfer’s choices: private transfer or taxi. Guests will then choose their favorite way of airport transfer. Private transfer applies a flat rate of 95 eur from the Hotel to Malpensa Airport. We understand you chose the private transfer and that this select method of transportation was not arranged and we sincerely do apologize for the inconvenience. According to the taxi rate you paid, please note that according to the Municipality of Milan, taxi must also apply a flat rate of about the same amount of our private transfer. If taxi has applied an unfair rate unfortunately is out of our jurisdiction. If you still retain taxi’s receipt of payment, please contact directly the Municipality of Milan at MTA.Disciplinaretaxi@comune.milano.it or servizioTaxi@regione.lombardia.it, indicating taxi number, time and date of the ride, route, and amount paid and I am sure they will able to assist you.
Please feel free to contact me at your convenience, and I will do my best to ensure a 4 star experience on your next visit.
Looking forward to welcoming you to Milan.
Kind Regards
Arnaldo Sbarretti, General Manager
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

For our last-minute trip to Milan for fashion week, it was tricky finding accommodation that wasn’t ridiculously expensive, or completely booked out.

Thanks to Schwarzkopf, we were lucky to get a great room at the Best Western Galles Hotel in Milan. The hotel exceeded our expectations, especially when we found out it used to be a 19th Century palace!

But let’s start from the top. The rooms. There are 198 of them and they come in five types. The Business Room, the Suite, the Pet Friendly Room (up to three people and one pet), the Superior Room, and the Classic Room, which is what we had. Check the hotel website for offers and current rates.

The room was bit small maybe, but that’s Italy for you. Not quite as bad as a Paris hotel room, there was enough space for our luggage, the enormous bed, a desk and a single wardrobe. Not much else.

The bathroom’s the same with enough space for one person plus amenities… but that’s all you need, isn’t it?

The best part about our room – apart from the complimentary WiFi and a resident gecko that kept our room free of bugs - was the built-in wall safe. Cool? No. That’s beyond cool. I mean, come one – it was hidden behind a picture in the wall! I just wish we had something valuable enough to put in there!

Unfortunately, after the 24-hour flight from Sydney we were so exhausted we didn’t take any (focused) photos of our room but we can say the hotel website pictures are very accurate. We did take pictures of the other hotel features though.

The rest of the hotel is spread out among the sprawling winding corridors of this deceptively large seven-storey renovated palace:

Basement level: gym, spa, subterranean pool and Himalayan salt spa. Oh and there’s a meeting room down here too.

Ground floor: American bar, internet café, Playstation corner and of course reception.
6th floor: restaurant and an excellent buffet breakfast. Also a mysterious smoking lounge we never found.

7th floor: access to the two beautiful rooftop terraces overlooking a lot of the city.

The hotel also has its own Metro station… kind of. Lima Station is a quick 4-stop trip from the Duomo and continues on to Milano Cadorna, which links you to the airport and other parts of Italy like Lake Como. Here’s our post about getting to Como. It’s only a short walk to Milano Centrale from the hotel, and around 25 minutes walk to the centre of the city.

One of the million or so entrances to Lima Station is directly outside the hotel’s front door. Very handy.

With the proximity of the station in mind, try to get a room as high as you can as the rumblings from the underground trains will wake you up making you think you’re late for the ample breakfast, which starts at 7am and finishes at 10am.

Hotel Galles is also a shoe’s throw away from one of the best high-street shopping stradas in Milan. Corso Buenos Aires is a big, long, wide road in the north west of the city.

It’s also a busy street, so try to get a courtyard room or one not facing the Corso.

Corso Buenos Aires’ best shopping areas are between Porta Venezia and Loreto Metro stations… so at the Hotel Galles, you’re slap bang in the middle of Credit Card Town!

Best Western Hotel Galles Milan
Piazza Lima, 2
20124
Milan
See more at: http://mrandmrsromance.com/2013/10/where-to-stay-in-milan-best-western-hotel-galles-milan.html

Room Tip: Rooms as high as possible will avoid rumbles from the metro station next to the hotel. Courtyard roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We are delighted to read such wonderful praise and on behalf on the entire team at the Hotel Galles we thank you for your kind words. We are very happy to have the pleasure to hosting you and we look forward to your next visit to Milan. Kind Regards, Arnaldo Sbarretti, General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Central located,in one of the biggest streets in Milano,Corso Buenos Aires,this hotel is very good. It was my second stay in this hotel. There is a lot of shops and restaurants near hotel,and Piazza Duomo is 15 min walk distance. Hotel is clean, the staff is very friendly,a little but very nice loby bar,and if you stay in Milano for 2-3 days,this is good option.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sbarretti, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel Galles, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire team at the BEST WESTERN Hotel Galles, i do thank you for your very kind words and your trust in our brand. We do hope to keep on meeting your expectations and we look forward to keeping on welcoming you to Milan. Please feel free to contact us at your convenience for any asistance. Kind Regards
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My first impression was the good service of employees, they were friendly (reception and bar). I was satisfied about my room and the hotel facilities, location of hotel was very good! Near shopping streets etc...

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We do thank for having chosen the Hotel Galles for your stay in Milan and we do hope to have the immense pleasure to hosting you again on your next trip to Italy. Kind Regards

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Galles? Share your experiences!