“nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 427 Hotels in Milan
New City, NY
“nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I spent 4 nights there because the hotel was next to the business that I was visiting. I thought the hotel was fairly attractive and clean, the people were friendly (and most spoke English fairly well). I was up on the 8th floor with a view toward the large train station - no noise issues at all - definitely no subway noise. Even sitting in the breakfast room which is below ground the subway wasn't that big a deal.

I thought the rooms were nicely appointed - the size was fairly typical for European hotels (actually larger than some I've been in.) The bathrooms were very nice. There was a nice sized closet with ample hangers, a TV, desk with chair, small table with 2 chairs at the end of the bed, and queen size bed. The mattress was ok but not great (but no worse than other places.) Climate control in the room. I like it cooler - I was able to cool the room down for while I was sitting working, although I didn't seem to be able to get it as cool as I would have liked at night. Maybe because it is not summer yet and outside temps were 60s so the AC may not have been fully enabled. Not sure.

The only comment I'd make on the size or layout is that with the extra flair (the chairs and whatnot), trying to walk in the dark to the bathroom at night was a bit of an obstacle course but that's rather minor.

Located next to the train station it was convenient for what I wanted and when I left to travel back it was handy to just walk across the street and climb in the Malpensa bus to get to the airport. (10 Euro, runs every 20 min).

Was slightly annoyed to have to pay for wireless, but it was only 8 Euro/day (6 Euro for a PDA/tablet). But it worked fine (although not well enough to Skype with video but that might have been a combination of a problem at the other end too.)

On the big plus side, breakfast was included which saves a lot of time if you like breakfast. That said, I didn't find it terribly impressive, primarily because I thought the bread products were all rather poor quality. I expect high quality breads/rolls in Europe. But they had scrambled eggs, good bacon, sausage, generally a couple of cheeses, ham, yogurt, some canned fruit, granola and rice crispies. Tea and a variety of coffees were available. The cappuccino was pretty good. They didn't validate that you were a guest. Staff was very pleasant and helpful (they saw me getting up to get milk for my tea and quickly offered to bring me a small pitcher.)

I ate dinner several times in the dining room which was pleasant - the food was pretty good and prices were decent. I really liked that I could get a half-bottle of wine for 10-13 Euros and not just the random house wine. They weren't anything fancy but there were 3 red & 3 white. Menu was short, but the items I tried were pretty good.

It is about a 30 min walk to the Duomo but the walk is pleasant and you go through the fashion district.

Room Tip: Was on the 8th floor overlooking the train station and I'd choose that again - quiet but a bit o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

After reading the critics on Trip advisor about this hotel, I was not sure wether I should go there. I did and I did not regret it, quite the contrary. The noise of the metro? Heard nothing. Size of the room: by Milano standards, OK! The staff was very nice. And time comes for going to the Duomo, either you take an easy 20 minute walk, or you go with the metro very near by.

One comment: the Starhotels E.c.ho is just across the street. As being close to the train station was a key selecting factor, I would certainly consider this one also.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Location:
The hotel is located within 3 mins walk from the central train station, making it very accessible regardless of whether you arrive by train or by plane (frequent shuttle bus from airports). Especially a plus if you are a bit concerned about the theft in milan as you can offload your belongings very conveniently before you head out for the sightseeing bit. Duomo and center milan is just a few metro stops away.

Service:
Nice service as you might have expected from a 4-star hotel. Generally helpful in providing answers to enquires. Impressed with the pillow catalogue where you can ask for different kinds of pillows to suit your need/habit for free. I didn't tried it myself but think it's a very nice touch as I hate it when I have problems with pillows in hotels.
A minus for us is you will have to pay for wifi connections in your room. You can use wifi in the lobby for free though, but you will have to obtain a new username and password from the reception every 30 mins.

Room:
Very nice and clean rooms!

Breakfast:
The breakfast exceeds our expectations! Cold cuts, hot dishes with scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages, croissants, cereals and a nice cup of cappuccino, not a huge range of selection but it is definitely more than enough to satisfy us.

Value:
We booked the rooms very last minute so we get a nice discount, and thus consider it very value for money for us!

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed there for a congress in Milan ( about 280$ us) a day. Very close to the main train station and subway (1min walking). That everything for the good comments... Rooms are clean and big enough (for an European hotel); despite the price, we have to pay for the wifi.. Or you go to the reception and use the wifi there but you need a new password every 30 min! Tv is only in Italian (except 2 channels in French and English- knees only); refrigerator was not correctly working... I'm definitively not coming back.

• Stayed March 2013
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We only had two nights in Milan and booked this hotel in advance from reviews read here. What a great decision ... Great breakfast, unusual in Italy. Great location, two minutes walk to central station and taxi rank. Great room, beautiful and comfy bed. It was also a pleasure to be able to have a hot bath. I loved this hotel.

Room Tip: There is subway vibration and noise but that ends around 11PM so not really an issue.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

location ,friendly staff , services , internet , transportations , very near to the train station and taxi parking and good restaurants and metro station, reasonable prices .
i advice to take high floor room for better view .

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel is located across the Central Train Station and is a fantastic base for visiting Milan. This was our second stay in Milan and we were delighted with our hotel choice.
We arrived at the hotel at lunchtime and although we were early for check in, our room was ready! We had a room on the 6th floor with partial views of the station. It is a busy area and as mentioned in other reviews, the subway runs below the hotel. I, however, did not see it as a problem. The hotel is modern and very comfortable. The room and bathroom are well equipped.

We were there for 3 nights and unfortunately, our stay did not go according to plans as I became quite ill on our first morning there. A lovely gentleman at reception arranged for a doctor to come and see me. I was seen within an hour. When the Dr left, reception rang us and offered to send a staff member to get the medicine I needed. This was such a nice gesture. We, however declined and my husband went to get what I needed.
The staff was very attentive and very very helpful so a big thank you to them for all their help!!!

I would definitely stay there again as it is such a conveniently located hotel and it was great value for money as hotels in Milan can be quite expensive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Starhotels Anderson? Share your experiences!