“Friendly and helpful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #127 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Ipswich
“Friendly and helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here this week for three nights while working around the corner.
It's not in a particularly nice area and is a 10 min walk to the nearest metro but the hotel is clean and comfortable and the staff are very friendly and very helpful and were able to give me good advice about getting around.
Breakfast is vast and there is something for everyone. Aperitivo (as in many places in Milan) are free with drinks during the evening and dinner is good and great value.
From hotel to the Duomo takes 20 mins - 10 min walk to metro and 10 mins on metro
I'd be happy to stay here again. Great service and good value for money and the staff really make it
Thanks

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

To let you know right up front - this hotel 'aint in the chic area of Milan (not that there are many of those outside of Duomo square). In fact, I was actually a little on the trepidatious side when we were walking to the hotel late at night. It looked like Detroit. The buildings seemed like something out of a nightmare, and let's say the neighborhood, from the looks of its inhabitants, appeared rough. It was like the star of Bethlehem leading the wise men through the dark when we saw the hotel's sign lit up in the distance.

The only people that I had contact with really were 4 members of staff; Two men, and two women. The men were very nice and accommodating, while the women were just so-so. When we checked in, the woman handling our reservation was very friendly to us - but very rude to another customer who was asking her for a blanket in her room. After the guest walked away, the receptionist began mocking the other guest to us, saying that she had already asked her for a blanket three times, and was venting her frustrations to us. I didn't think that was terribly professional or appropriate - not to mention unkind toward the other woman.

When I called down later to ask for a pen and a wake-up call, the same woman seemed put-out when I requested these two things. Yes, that's right : there was no pen in our room. Actually it was the first time I've stayed at a hotel where I could have used one, and there wasn't one to be found. They had a pathetic excuse for a pencil - it looked like something Rumplestiltskin would use - but no pen.

The room was really nice, and Best Western seems to have a very common theme. Their staff in general (with all the experience I've had with their chain) seems to be somewhere between poor - mediocre, but there rooms are always gorgeous. Their breakfasts are never too shabby either. Nothing like the Hilton, no, but still very good. At the end of the day you do want the whole package though, and that's why I feel it's important to critique every aspect of the hotel.

The room was very spacious, had a view (though not much of one, as we were in the ghetto). The bathroom was really only so-so for Best Western, as I do hold their rooms to a higher standard. The bathtub felt like sand paper, the tile in the bathroom was really old, and in general the whole hotel needs renovation. The beautiful plasma TV had terrible reception, and the the tea kettle wouldn't plug into the outlet that was available. The outlets in general in the room, actually, were not terribly convenient. The ones we used were out of reach under the TV, and to plug my phone in next to me, I had to unplug the lamp - so I had no light.

There was also only mineral water and soda in the mini-bar, so if you're looking for a little nightcap before beddy-bye, you're out of luck.

I know it sounds like I'm focusing solely on the negative here, but the room was actually quite nice and comfortable, and the most important thing was the bed, which was FINALLY a decent Queen sized mattress. Not two twins pushed together, or some weird "French" bed that the Europeans love to use. This was a very American bed, and I enjoyed that very much!

The breakfast the following morning was very good, with as much fresh coffee as you liked, made to order. I had three caffe machiatos (for free)! The man on staff from the night before was also helping serve the breakfast and he was very nice.
There were some of the best eggs I've had in a really long time, there was bacon, ham, salami, tomatoes, LOTS of pastries, fresh bread, tea, coffee, juice (that actually wasn't really juice...watered sugar I think), and cereal. Not the largest breakfast ever, but certainly the right amount. I also think they had breakfast that early (6:15) just for us and another group of people who needed to leave the hotel early. Normally, they said they start serving at 7.

When we went to check out, the woman who handled us now, was a different receptionist than from the night before, and she was quite cold - not friendly. Again, staff is really hit or miss with Best Western. But their rooms are always good.
Having said all this, I would say - this is the worst Best Western I've stayed at in terms of quality and location, but certainly not the worst HOTEL I've ever stayed at before. I would recommend it only if you need to be in that area, as we needed to be. The price was substantial for not being a really high quality place - 81 euros (including tax, breakfast for two people 1 night) .

All things considered, it's really just an average hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton_Milano, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel Milton Milano, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear "Euroerican", first of all let me thank you for the very detailed suggestions that you have written in your review of our hotel. I can assure you that our neighbourhood is not that terrible. In fact I live myself (with my family, two young children) very close to the hotel and I can assure you that this is a typical residential area of a big european city, close to the city center, where you can find people of many countries living side by side, and not a ghetto which is typical in north american cities, but very rare in Italy. By the way our hotel has an amazing view on the city center (not just our surroundings). From the upper floors you can see the whole skyline of the city, and in good days also all the alps from the french border (Mont Blanc) in the west to the swiss alps (Monte Rosa) in the north and the italian alps towards east. I can also assure you that I'll take all the necessary steps to explain and train our staff members regarding professional behaviour which is very important for an hotel like ours. Regarding the pencil "accident", we are required by BW to put pencils and little paper blocks in all the rooms, and that's just what we do. Thank you for the compliments for our breakfast, the room size and the bed size. I also have to apologize for the minibar. Last week we have received the new fridges, and from now on we'll offer also that service in all our rooms. Next week we'll also improve the tv reception changing the system from analog to digital, allowing our beautiful new HD televisions to receive the best possible tv signal. This week we have also received the new kettles for the rooms. As you see we are trying to do our best for improving the hotel from average to a good. Maybe next time we'll be able to satisfy all your requests. Thank you once again for the time it took you to write your detiled comments. The Manager
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We thought the hotel would be a little more comfortable. A lot of inconveniences, broken drain on sink, room card deactivated. Fortunately the hotel is quiet, relatively ear the metro. We Might consider returning, only for a reasonable rate.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton_Milano, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel Milton Milano, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear BM Witgen, I'm really sorry that we didn't meet you expectations. I have to apologize, that you had to change the room because of the sink. We opted to give you an alternative room right away, because we didn't want to have you waiting for the housekeeper repairing the annoying problem. Regarding the room keycard, it sometimes happens that they stop working when they are kept close to cellular phones or magnetical fields in general. In fact I personally used the same card and as far as I know it worked again regularly. I also would like to inform all our readers that our cook and our pastry chef only use natural and high value products, for all the homemade cakes, bread, cookies and muffins that offer for breakfast. The manager
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The hotel is located some distance from the city centre but a 5 minute walk to Lancetti underground station and 1 stop into Garibaldi Main station.
The spacious room is basic but very adequate with a king size bed. The buffet breakfast is as you would expect for the price of a budget hotel. The staff were very helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "cdb49" we thank You for the kind words reserved for our hotel. We hope to have us as our guest in the near future and to be able to demonstrate you with our 2 italian cooks that maybe we are more than just a budget hotel, because that's what we aim to ! Thank You again for the time that it took you to send us your comment. The Manager
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The hotel is clean and rooms are a good size, for the price there are no complaints about the actual hotel its self! Breakfast is basic but there is a wide choice and the coffee is amazing! Book in room states wifi throughout hotel but it only works in the lobby. Reception staff were helpful with information! There are some great restaurants nearby, they might not look all that from the outside but some amazing food....3courses with wine, beer and soft drinks for €40 for 2. The downside to this hotel is the area, it's about a 10 min walk to the tube station but there are gangs and prositutes around especially in the evening I didn't feel particularly safe!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Very clean, super breakfast buffet, easy access to the centre of Milan, nice staff and efficient service. Calm and comfortable.
International standards without pretention, they do not lie about what they offer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cluj-Napoca, Cluj, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is located a bit outside the centre of Milan; the neighbourhood is not the best one either but we didn't have any problems. It is situated at about 12 minutes walk from the Maciachini metro station. You can also get to the hotel by trolley buses 90 and 91 or by the underground train(station Lancetti). You can easy get to San Siro stadium from the hotel, by taking the trolley 91, which has a stop on the main street, 1 minute away from the hotel.

The reception staff was very friendly, gave us lots of useful info and tips. Breakfast includes ham, cheese, smashed eggs, croissants, different kinds of cookies, fruit juice among the other usual things.

The room and bathroom were clean, the maid made up the room every day; However the thermostat was not functional; the tea machine/coffee was old and dirty, the fridge was not functional but we didn't bother about this. They give you slippers, if you ask :).

In an all, it was a pleasant stay but nothing exceeded expectations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Milton Milano? Share your experiences!