“Not a 'Leading Hotel of the World'.” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Manzoni, 29, 20121 Milan, Italy   |
Ranked #8 of 432 Hotels in Milan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
california
“Not a 'Leading Hotel of the World'.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2007

We stayed one night which was the last night of our stay in Italy Given the history of the hotel and that it has the honors of being distiguished as one of the Leading Hotels of the World, I was a bit disappointed from the moment I walked in the door. The service was poor. We arrived a bit early so our room was not ready yet - which was fine with us given that we had not informed the hotel of our unexpected early arrival. We didn't expect or demand a room. However, check in was poor and when asked if we could check in our bags until the room was ready we were told to just leave the bags in the lobby. We did not want to leave our bags unattended in the middle of the lobby and after waiting I reminded someone to attend to the bags. I was assured that our bags would be in my room upon my return and they were not. However, when I did call to the front desk and remind them that the bags were supposed to be brough up they were indeed brought up very quickly. I am not a demanding traveler but the service is not quite what you would expect from a hotel in this category. And especially what we paid for it (Approx. $500 U.S.) We never even opened the mini bar but upon check out there were 6 or 7 items on the bill. When I pointed out the charges and informed the woman that we didn't take anything from the mini bar, she revised the invoice without saying a word let alone an apology.

The lobby is stunning so I was expecting the guest rooms to match. The room was small with wonderful high ceilings and beautiful wood floor and spacious marble bath. We had two wonderful balconies accessible from the bedroom and bathroom. The room decor was very simple in nature, lovely, but tired looking. The rooms could be so splendid with an upgrade. the bed was comfortable.

The location can't be beat. It's in close proximity to exclusive shopping, the Duomo, and La Scala.

Would we stay here again? No. I did enjoy my one night (heck, I am in Milan!) but the service was unacceptable. Given that there are plenty of other options in this price category go somewhere else!

• Liked — Great bathroom, lovely balcony, stunning lobby
  • Disliked — Terrible service
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mpage, Antonio Cailotto, General Manager at Grand Hotel et de Milan, responded to this review, January 28, 2008
First of all please accept our sincerest apologies. Your comments have received all our attention and the necessary measures have been taken so that such accidents may not be allowed to happen again. We would like to assure you also that the poor service you have received does not reflect our usual standards of service and we would like to believe, considering many positive comments that we regularly receive, that it was a series of very unfortunate circumstances. Our goal will be to improve our standards and, reiteratine our apologies, thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of your experience. We do hope that you will not hold this past experience against us and that we will have soon again the pleasure of your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

The Grand Hotel in Milan falls into the trap that so many historic hotels in European cities find themselves in. In principal, the hotel is well run, professional and perfect for guests visiting Europe for a taste of history. However, the formula of the hotel has probably not changed in over 20 years. Everything is geared towards unadventurous travel - perfect for the dowdy business traveller, Japanese, Russian, or Middle Eastern guest. Sure, the formula works well - but if you like excitement in your travel experience, this place will let you down.

The hotel has a great location - perfect for all the designer shops. It is right next door to the amazing Armani Department Store. The check in was efficient and the staff friendly and slick. The room looked a little tired with a soft mattress on the bed. Good sized bathroom. My room was also a little noisy (but there are inner courtyard rooms - which may not have the view, but counteract this problem). There was a stale smoke smell in the room (I had not been asked my preference on check in) - I wish hoteliers would just completely ban all smoking from guest rooms. Many of my friends smoke - but they would not dream of doing it in their bedroom. I used the gym, which was in a nice glass conservatory and quite adequate. Morning coffee was delivered quickly. Breakfast was a buffet style - OK, but nothing spectacular (quite expensive).

My stay was a quick business trip, so the hotel was fine for that. However, if I was to return to Milan, I would consider looking elsewhere.

• Liked — Front Desk Staff
  • Disliked — Soft mattress on the bed and stale smoke smell in the room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

I spent only one night at this hotel at the conclusion of a 2 week trip around Italy.

A couple things stand out...

First the location is perfect, especially if you're going to Milan to shop. All the fashion houses are within a few minutes walk. The train station is about a five minute taxi ride away and there are numerous restaurants in the neighborhood.

Second, the hotel is loaded with historic character but is updated and fresh at the same time. Our room had a small balcony and towering
12 foot ceilings plus an enormous bath plus a shower. All the usual amenties for a hotel of this caliber... slippers, robes, bath items...
you name it.

We ate on the restaurant patio and had a wonderful meal by candlelight. Nice service and delicious food that kept pace with many others we had on our trip.

No worries choosing this hotel...good for business or pleasure.

Stayed August 2007
FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

If you want to stay were the action is this is the place. Old world Italian charm this hotel is beautiful and the service was the best, from the doorman to the bartenders. My only complaint which I consider a big one was it was usually warm for October when I was there and there was no air condition in the room now consider this and the hotel on a busy street it did not make a pleasant night sleeping. When I called down to complain they stated that the air condition was turned off and there was no way to turn it back on. Having paid a lot of US Dollars for the night in a suite I would expect better in this hotel.

• Liked — Large room and bathroom, great service
  • Disliked — no air conditioning
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

I have recently stayed at the Grand Hotel Et De Milan for 2 days, on my way back home from my vacation in Western Sicily.

I have booked my stay directly at the hotels' web-site. First I was looking at the available standard rates and then noticed the promotion - 2 types of Milan Experience Packages, both for minimum 2-day stay.

I wend for Milan and Leonardo. Apart for a more attractive price of the room, it included a trip to the Scence and Technology Museum (which I skipped in favour of shopping, sorry), but also, more importantly, free tickets to see Leonardo's Last Supper. It was really worth it, unbelivably beautiful!!!

(Note: you have to e-mail or call the concierge about 10 days in advance. If you just simply come to the chapel on the day and try to get a ticket yourself, they will tell you that it's booked for 2 weeks. The price of the ticket is about 7 EUR, but with this package you get it for free).

One minor thing about the hotel: one of the 2 beds in our room was very melodious: someone certainly had an excellent time! I wouldn't have cared at all - I sleep like a log, but my mother (whom I travelled with) was dissatisfied. Maybe good idea to jump on your bed couple of times before unpacking!! (We stayed in room 503). Breakfast was OK, not excessive, but I adored the pancakes.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

This was the 2nd Hotel we stayed in in Milan. The hotel, staff, rooms and hospitality were excellent. It really made a difference after traveling around Italy for 10 days. The location is very near Il Duomo, The Galleria and Il Teatro.
Because it is situated directly on a VERY busy street, the noise eminated through the room so bad that I had to use the same earplugs I used on the airplane just to get to sleep!

• Liked — Nice large rooms
  • Disliked — Location on busy street.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manhattan, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

Beautiful hotel with the old world charm of Italy! Our standard room had a lovely marbel bathroom with French doors The bedroom also had a nice view with a mini balcony.

If you're looking for a new and modern hotel this is definitely not for you. But if you want to be near luxe shopping and experience great service, this place is worth the $$!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Hotel et de Milan? Share your experiences!