“Top place” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 5,280 Restaurants in Milan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Bistro, Continental
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Open since 1988
London, United Kingdom
“Top place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

great food, amazing service and reasonably priced. definitely worth a short taxi ride. recommend 100%!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
“Great neighborhood style restaurant outside of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was in Milan for a week on business and our hotel recommended this spot when prompted for a nicer place to eat within walking distance. We ended up eating there three times during our stay.

Upon arrival we noticed right away why you need a reservation even during the week. It is very popular. This area isn't necessarily a food desert, but there aren't a lot of restaurants to choose from so a restaurant like this will stand out. As others have stated, we were greeted with glasses of champagne. The menu has a lot of offerings available and is well organized with English translations. They have a fair wine list; however, we just had the house red each night. It is quite good and the price is right.

We explored the menu quite a bit having three of us and eating there three different nights. Ordered something different each night. My favorite was the last night I had a steak. I saw a plate go by to another table and asked to have that same steak and it was delicious. Cooked perfectly and very tender. Overall, I would say the food is a consistent 8/10 and priced accordingly in my opinion.

As other reviewers stated, at the end of the meal they filled our table with gummy sweets, a bottle of Limoncello and a giant bottle of Grappa. The Limoncello and Grappa were low quality versions, but for free it was a nice touch.

The service here is amazing. This is where I rate them 10/10. Despite being incredibly busy, we received all of our courses in a timely manner each night and were paid attention to as needed. Even in my home town I do not see this kind of service at my favorite restaurants. There is always a decline in service quality as the place is packed.

Upon our exit we were stopped a the bar and the hostess (or possibly floor manager) bought us all drinks of our choice and talked with us for a bit. It is little stuff like this that kept us coming back two more times.

Friendly and organized staff, good food, and walking distance from our hotel made this a win for us.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Out of the centre but very popular.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We arrived here on the recommendation of our hotel, a 10 minute walk away. I had previously seen the reviews and planned to visit. We were asked if we had a reservation by the very friendly girl when we arrived and they found us a table anyway. Within 30 minutes it was clear why as it was very busy. We were treated to free sparkling wine and meatballs as well as the bread and sundried tomato already on the table. We had main courses and very nice desserts, finished off with a limoncello as the bottle was left on the table for us to help ourselves. The bill came to just under €50 with drinks which we thought was good. The service was friendly and quick even though it was busy. As another reviewer pointed out, I'm not sure of the need for sweets on the table but they're free if you want them and ignored if you don't!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds
“Decent, but hardly amazing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Right, I was in Milan for 3 days his week (March 2013) and on the strength of these reviews persuaded my wife that we should take a cab from our city centre location to this place. 15 Euros worse off, we arrive.

It is neither offensive nor impressive upon arrival, just an Italian neighbourhood bistro. There is a small, quite cramped bar area in font of you when you walk in. But the impressions are good, as all staff greet you with a smile, and the chap behind the bar offered us too snifters of Prosecco while we waited. Nice little touch.

We were seated and ordered. We opted to share a salad (caprese) to start which was fabulous, and ample for two people, especially given that you also receive a few other bits, in our case some nice meatballs in sauce and some lovely sun dried tomatoes while you wait for your starter, as well as the usual breads etc.

Service took a bit of a turn for the worse as they then brought my wife's Prawn linguine immediately after. Usually it's nice to have a break between courses! But to be fair when told, they took it away immediately and brought the replacement at the same time as my Osso Bocco Milanese, after a more acceptable hiatus.

The food itself, was 'good enough' but actually tasted more like home cooking rather than professional cooking. Good home cooking I might add but there is nothing really earth shattering here in contrast some of the reviews. The prices are fairly mid range (2 courses will cost roughly E30 pp) but if you're staying in Central Milan then you'll need to factor in your taxi which in our case cost 15 to get there and 20 to get back, for some reason!

Decent enough overall I suppose but would I go again if in town? Hmmm, Questionable. Portions are indeed more than ample but hearty sized plates isn't necessarily what I go for when eating out. I didn't spot much flair or specialness in the cooking Im afraid. And the 35Euro cab there and back just didn't seem worth it.

Also worth a mention are the 'fizzy sweets' on the table. Again, these are gratis, but why on earth would you want to end a good meal with the taste of fizzy, sugary chews? I'm glad my kids weren't with us, these are precisely the kind of things I try and avoid them having as they tend to send them a bit nuts afterwards. So why so many adults on TA have
found this to be a plus point is, to us, a bit of a mystery! At the time of writing this review, this place is 6th best on TA in Milan out out 3000+. To me this says more about Milan's dining scene than it does about this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Bistro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Get ready to be amazed. While the service may suffer at times, the food is always amazing. You'll love what you order as well as all the other food brought to your table by the chef himself. Nobody can leave hungry.

Visited March 2013