“Very good experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Grenoble, Rhone-Alpes, France
“Very good experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

First off let's start with the location: it is a bit on the outside of the city near an industrial zone but very calm! Which is great because you are not far at all from the city (by public transportation or car) without the problems of parking people have inside Milano.
I came by car so this was perfect for me. If you have no car the hotel offers free shuttle to the nearby metro station (I will detail).

Ok the hotel now: inside you will get welcomed at the gate (secured access) by the very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel is nicely decorated. Getting inside my room I really appreciated the big bed, big shower (almost three people could fit in!). It was sincerly more than I would expect. Another great thing: I saw another door in my door leading to a private parking space for my car right outside of my room. This is really nice especially if you want to load/unload your luggage.
Included you get an internet access (Wi-Fi) which is of good quality.

I had dinner at the hotel's restaurant (they have a bar as well). It has a decent choice of dishes and the cheerful chef is meticulous. The veal cutlet was good but I did not have time to test other dishes as I had to go to Milan downtown most of the time.

Now around you: get out of the hotel by foot, on your right there is a supermarket about 50m!
If your room's electrical wall socket does not fit your device's requirement: Leroy Merlin is not far. It is in Corsico maybe 10mn from the hotel by car.

To get to Milano downtown by far the easiest way is to get dropped by the hotel's free shuttle (I have not tried that) to the closest metro station which is Bisceglie (several buses also serve this station, free network plan available from the city).
I used to drive to the station Inganni and park (for free) in the streets (Inganni's neighbor is safer than Bisceglie and you can park in the shade). Then from Inganni you will get to Duomo in about 15mn.
Of course you will need to get a ticket. The rates are rather cheap and the network very good. For 1€ you get a 90minutes ticket. Or if planning to move a lot you can take 24 or 48 hours ticket which are not very expensive. Rates and vendors are available at atm.it (Milano's public transportation website, available in both Italian and English).

Now for the breakfast: you get almost everything you can wish for. Great coffee/capuccino/latte etc... Pâté, croissant (filled with marmelade, chocolate paste, nothing etc...). Fresh orange juice (chuck some oranges inside the machine it will do the job).

Oh yes: another things to get the electricity working you will need to stick your room's magnetic card inside one of the red lighted slots near either of your room's doors. The card acts as a circuit breaker. Also the AC is not noisy which is good. If you have too much sun hitting your room you also have outside a mechanized curtain (commands right on the outside of your room).

In conclusion this is a really nice hotel, great staff (really everyone, even the cleaning lady was nice and joyful), great prices. The kind of hotel you come back to and feel like home! My only regret is the matress too hard for me (but it is a matter of preferences not related to the hotel).

You can book there without fear!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Well hidden in a Commercial/Industrial area just off the Milan Autostrada........30 mins from Swiss border and perfect for stopping en route to/from the rest of Italy. It's location belies what a hidden gem of a hotel it is.

Found by accident at 2200 after a long delayed and tiring journey. The staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating......even to the extent of making sure we still had dinner even at that late hour. The rooms were exceptional both in furnishing and size and extremely quiet. Another major bonus was the availability of free & secure on-site parking.

Value for money incredible......a real surprise and cannot recommend too highly.

Room Tip: Rooms really high standard................rooms at the rear extremely quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nancy, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our stay at Hotel Silver was a luxurious, unexpected treat while on a roadtrip through Europe! We were 2 adults travelling by car with 2 medium-sized dogs. We were merely en route from Italy to France, and therefore DID NOT use Hotel Silver as a stopping point to tour Milan.
- PRICE: We paid 100 euro for 1 night in the junior suite, breakfast included, in late March 2012.
- LOCATION: For our situation, the location near the autostrada was great.
- PARKING: The hotel has an unusual & wonderful parking accommodation: you can literally park in a carport immediately in front of your hotel room, with the ability to lower a "shade" that encloses your vehicle like that of a garage. This made unloading/loading much more pleasant.
- ROOM: The junior suite was immaculate & spacious, much more so than a typical European hotel room. 2 separate entry doors were available in the room: 1 door leading outside to the parking space; another door leading to the interior of the hotel.
- BATHROOM: The toilet/bidet is separated from the bathing area by a door (but the bathing area is not in a separate room from the rest of the bedroom). We choose the junior suite with a soaking tub...absolutely amazing! *Regardless if you're travelling with family or friends and staying in a room with either shower or soaking tub, there is the option to pull a divider across the room to separate the bathing facility from the rest of the room. (Another reviewer mentioned this as a negative, which would certainly be awkward if there wasn't the option to separate them.)
- WIFI: The wifi signal was present, but quite weak in our room.
- BREAKFAST: Average

Fabulous stay at Hotel Milan...wish other hotels of this price/caliber offered the same amenities!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011 via mobile

We stayed for one night at Silver Hotel. We were persuaded fron the very good reviews that it would be an excellent hotel. But it wasn't.

Positives: big room, seemed clean, free parking

Negatives: -terrible location: it is in the middle of nowhere. It's only convenient if you want to be near the autostrada. Otherwise it is 30
minutes from milan by car
-No wifi signal in the room
-Average breakfast( poor for a 4 star hotel)
-Remote control was not working
-Air con couldn't not be set at more than 22 degrees so the room was cold. When you left after having it turned off, it turned on again.
-No blankets
-The hand soap was in a small bottle which was not easy to use
-Very high price for it's location
-The decoration was too much and not stylish at all. Orange curtains in the breakfast room? In Italy?
- could not meet the hotel manager.

Overall it is an average hotel, impressive on the first sight but ridicously expensive if you take into consideration the distance from the city center and the all the above details that seem so amateurish.

• Stayed August 2011
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We visited this hotel on our second night of our Europe road trip, we found the hotel easily just off the motorway. I mostly chose this hotel for it’s out of town location, free wifi and free secure parking. On arriving the staff were extremely helpful and polite, unfortunately as we arrived we had torrential rain which didn’t stop until the next morning so our plans to explore Milan that day were scuppered and as we were only staying one night we couldn’t take advantage of the shuttle service.

The room was massive and very nicely decorated and the bathroom and shower were also very impressive, the only complaint I had was there was only one plug in the whole room that I could find and the TV was plugged into that not good for using your laptop charging your phone etc.

We ate dinner at the hotel as there is nothing around the hotel but an industrial estate the food was tasty and basic this was also echoed at breakfast. This hotel was lovely as a one night stop over and is definitely suited more for business clients due to its location and type of hotel it is was surprised a large number of chalet type rooms with individual car spaces attached to the side and back of the hotel but again it is a motel as well as a hotel.

On the whole this is a fab hotel but be prepared to be quite out of the way of the centre of Milan

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Upon arriving at this hotel I was in a bit of a bad mood to be honest because we had just forked out 40 euros to get from the train station out. We had considered using the underground system but with all our baggage the thought of carrying cases up and down and making line changes in 30 degree heat was not appealing. We did not expect this price for a taxi though. We knew it was far out from previous reviews on here but the taxi journey took 40 minutes and we even passed a sign saying we were leaving Milan! So I think it is more Milan vicinity rather than Milan city centre.

However, usually in this mood I am more likely to pick fault in everything but I found very little to pick fault in at this hotel. So, location aside, I would have probably given 5 stars (and I knew location was a bit 'far out' - just too far out when we actually got there. Plus there was little to do around the hotel itself so our post-dinner walk consisted of a walk round the hotel). And we often stay in hotels 'out the way' to get more for our money so I don't highlight this point through no prior experience of city hotels or with high expectations.

Based on our experience I can say that the rooms were HUGE! We had two single beds pushed together to make a double (I know this is standard practice in holiday resorts but have never experienced it in a hotel but this was not a problem), seating, a mini bar, a huge bathroom area (open plan overlooking the bed but with a separate room for the toilet and bidet) and there was still tons of floor space for cases, walking, etc. Not something you'd find if you were in the city centre proper. Plus the fittings and features were all of a really high standard. It felt very 'moroccan' with tiny mosaic tiles, etc. A thoroughly enjoyable room to stay in. Bed was a little firmer than I am used to but not uncomfortable (felt more like I was lying on top of it than sinking into it like I like but thats a matter of personal preference). The shower does have a glass surround overlooking the bedroom so is not private if you use it like that and have a co-traveller!! However, there is an external curtain that can be pulled around it just like any other shower. It is the biggest shower I have ever had the priviledge of using and I loved every minute (so much that I was nearly late for check out because I didn't want to get out!).

We were only staying one night and because of the location we didn't feel like travelling all the way into the city to hunt for a restaurant so we also dined in the hotel. Service was fab (just one girl on duty but very friendly, helpful and professional). The menu is limited (as expected) to a few dishes for each course and not really designed to give you a flavour or 'real' Italy I don't think. However, all food was very tasty and good value for money.

On our way back we had to get to the train station again and this time made use of the free 'shuttle bus' service the hotel puts on. The service is on demand so you aren't restricted by timetables or anything. When we used it, it was a people carrier mercedes that took us to the underground (so not really a bus) and driver was very obliging. From there it is simple enough (with just one line change) to the train station. I had also forgotten many underground stations in milan have elevators (unlike other cities) so having cases is less problematic than I had imagined. In retrospect, and if I hadn't been so tired from previous travelling (we had come from verona) we would have taken the underground to the hotel rather than pay 40 euro in a taxi. It might have been a hassle but perhaps not as bad as I imagined when I arrived in the train station exhausted and in 30 degree heat!

Overall, a beautiful hotel and excellent value for the £69 we paid for one night. great facilities and, while initially the location seems inconvenient, the shuttle bus service is very useful and would make daily journeys into the city much easier. I'd allow 45 minutes from hotel door to city centre though and it might not be good if you wish to do some sightseeing during the day and then travel back in at night for dinner as you'd end up spending 3-4 hours per day travelling back and forwards. Hotel restaurant would be good for up to three days though.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011 via mobile

The hotel is kinda like South Beach Miami style. Rooms are great apart from the bathroom, the showers area nightmare in term of design. Also internet cable are a disaster, they are just 30 cm long so it is impossible to use it on the room desk.
The location is not good, in the outskirts of milan, so it is not ok if you are a tourist. Breakfast are ok but all in all the hotel is too expensive for this location

• Stayed November 2010

Been to Hotel Silver? Share your experiences!