“Inventive take on osteria” 5 of 5 stars

Via Federico Confalonieri 5 | Quartiere Isola, Milan, Italy
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Ex Mauri Osteria di tradizione is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,152 of 5,722 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Como, Italy
“Inventive take on osteria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Inventive dishes that take on the osteria tradition. The plates here though are neither simple nor cheap, this is a fancy take on informal dining. Although the atmosphere of the restaurant is still quite relaxed and the wine list is pretty affordable. If you eat a first and second dish and try one of their delicious deserts you'll end up spending quite a bit. When we lived in Milan it was our place to go and celebrate good news!

Visited May 2012

• Turkish first
Vólos, Magnisia, Greece
“cosy and welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

heartwarming food, masterly balanced ingredients, discreet service, friendly owner who communicates genuinely with customers, good value for money.

• Visited December 2012
Jerusalem, Israel
“Great traditional place with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I agree with the reviews that it is a must place. Not very central but worth the trip.
The setup is beautiful, the staff is very professional and friendly and the food is everything you expect from good Italian food

• Visited December 2012
New York City
“Highlight Of Our Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

There's a part of me that wants to make it my personal mission to have everyone I know go to Milan and eat here (yes, it was that good) and another part of me that wants to keep this gem a secret. We wanted to go off the beaten path and try something authentic and not touristy, we succeeded. The owner and staff were busy but attentive. We ordered a high quality wine that they happened to be out of, so the owner brought over the Brunello di Montalcino and offered it to us at the same price. He was so excited to see us enjoy that bottle of wine with our dinner. We asked for his help on the menu and took a few suggestions. From the first bite, it was clearly evident that his passion for Italian food is equal to what was Michelangelo's passion for sculpting. It was our best meal in Italy and one of the best of my life. We had the bone marrow Risotto, Gnocchi, Steak, and a few appetizers. For dessert, we had creme brule that was perfection ! The owner lived in NYC for nearly a decade, where he brought his gift to Italian restaurants in the city, before deciding to return to Italy and start his own venture. I will be sure to visit every time I am in Milan and might even make special trips for this place !

• Visited October 2012
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I asked my girlfriend to find somewhere off the beaten track for me to take my parents to and I was not disappointed. The venue was traditional and rustic, plenty of atmosphere and the food was amazing. I cannot recommend this place enough, some of the best food I have eaten ever. And everyone in our party of four agreed.

• Visited November 2012