“Clean, Quiet, Cute B&B in Stresa” 5 of 5 stars

Mon Toc
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Duchessa di Genova 69, 28838 Stresa, Italy   |
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Stresa
Barcelona, Spain
“Clean, Quiet, Cute B&B in Stresa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I traveled to Stresa in July 2013 for four nights with a friend of mine. We wanted to stay in a cute little B&B in a slightly quieter part of town and Mon Toc was perfect for us. It was a relatively easy, albeit half uphill, walk from the center of town - about 10 minutes from the Alibus stop. No problem. Our room was very clean and of adequate size, and the WiFi worked very well. The pillows and beds were comfortable. They do not have AC in the rooms but this really was not a problem - we slept with the windows open every night and there was a cool breeze (the temp drops in Stresa at night, very pleasant for walking around). The breakfast was a typical European breakfast: juice, coffee, cereals, pastries, yogurt. We were quite satisfied with it. We also had dinner one night in their restaurant; it was fantastic and very reasonably priced. About half of their staff speaks some English, some do not, but I see this as my problem - not theirs. The entire staff was courteous and professional. They held my bags for a few hours after check out so I could explore the town a bit more. I could not have been more pleased with my stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and en suite bathroom if possible. They are a bit bigger. We stayed in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was part of our intrepid Rome to Paris trip and was satisfactory for the two nights we stayed. Others in our group didn't fare so well as their room didn't have an en suite. Overall it was okay.

• Stayed June 2013
Stuttgart, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I booked this pension for a two night stay with my family. The booking conditions clearly stated that children under 4 slept in their parents bed free of charge and children over 4 could stay in a cot for a surcharge. In my request for a cot I clearly stated it was for my 7 year old. When we arrived there was no cot, and the owner was upset and complained loudly when I showed him the written request (he thought I could not understand Italian). From that moment on he was overtly rude. Additionally, though the pension advertised free internet 24 hours a day for guests, I was presented with a ticket for limited hours. When I requested more, the owner told me he would not be renewing the ticket any more, and gave me ONE additional hour (again complaining loudly). Unfortunately, I have to say that our stay here was the worst time we spent in Italy. I believe the hotel should be one of the best parts of a visit, especially for the price. We will not be returning here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a little late reviewing, stayed mid Sept 2012. As noted, Mon Toc is very convenient to train station, exit the station to the right, down to the underpass and up the hill a couple of blocks - it is well signed.
From the lake level it is a bit of a hike up the hill, but quite doable.

Mon Toc is in a largely residential area so you do get noise durinig the day, but pleasantly quiet in the later evening and overnight. You also miss the loud bells in the center of town.
A nice breakfast included, you always sit at the table with your room number.
Very clean and comfortable room and bathroom, but shower a little small, not unusual for Italy.

It was somewhat difficult to communicate, but that is our problem, not theirs but everything worked out. We were especially happy with the prop's husband who booked us a taxi for 6 AM and then arranged for his wife to be up to see us out at that very early hour.
I did not see any air conditioning if that is a factor, but was cool during our stay.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

A pleasant few days, enjoyable breakfast and dinner in nice dining room. Friendly female staff. Clean room. Bit of a hike up the hill with backpack tho! Nice views from rooms. Be sure to check out the view from the downstairs toilet.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the mountains and a little over the lake. No fans available.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Athens
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We booked this hotel because we generally prefer older, converted, small buildings to new generic ones. And the Mon Toc was as pleasant and charming as we expected in many respects. However, our room was tiny! A large balcony helped to alleviate the cramped space a bit. But barely a foot of space separated the end of the bed from the bathroom cubicle built into one corner. The shower stall was literally a stall, so small you couldn't bend over if you dropped the soap.

The desk clerk spoke almost no English, but the waitress at breakfast was fluent in 3 languages and very helpful. The breakfast was a typical buffet, ample but limited (no fruit, no boiled egg, no toast). The coffee was disappointing. We ordered a cappuccino and it tasted only of hot milk. We asked for a black filtered coffee: very weak, like colored water. So next morning, I requested an espresso. Finally, a caffeine kick -- but it was stale-tasting.

The location was quite a ways back from the lakefront, which meant it was very quiet. It is also within easy walking distance to the train station.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is a wonderful, old fashioned family run hotel, and a great value for Stresa. It would be an excellent choice for train or car travelers and we had no problem walking up from the main road where the Malpensa airport shuttle bus stops. Our room (#15) was spacious, with a comfortable bed and monogramed sheets and towels. We had a shower with excellent water pressure and plenty of hot water. This room had a little balcony that overlooked the parking lot, and the street was pretty noisy so if you like to sleep with your windows open be sure to request a a different room in advance as some rooms face the large garden and are probably quieter. The room, and all the public areas were very clean and tidy with beautiful flowers and plants, and the back garden was pleasant and restful.
We did not eat dinner at the hotel, only because we enjoyed walking down to the main part of town in the evenings, but the breakfast, served in the beautiful main dining room was a great way to start the day.

Room Tip: be sure to ask for a room away from the street when you make a reservation
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mon Toc? Share your experiences!