“Great Rail Journeys’ Holiday to Stresa - Regina Palace Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso Umberto I | Lago Maggiore, 28838 Stresa, Italy   |
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Stresa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cotswolds
“Great Rail Journeys’ Holiday to Stresa - Regina Palace Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Regina Palace Hotel Stresa/Lake Maggiore Italy.
7 Nights from 24th June to 1st July 2014.
This was our main destination for a group holiday with ‘Great Rail Journeys’
We had a beautiful room (411) complete with chandelier and a balcony overlooking the lake, which is a real treat in Italy. We were at the front of the hotel and had lovely views of the lake and local islands.
The room had a mini bar, safe and plenty of storage for your personal belongings.
There is free WiFi available in the hotel, previous reviews mentioned some problems. On arrival I checked and I could make a connection with a basic ‘Hiport link’ BUT it wasn’t good enough to use with say ‘WhatsApp’. I spoke with reception and they gave me a ‘scratch card’ to obtain FREE high speed access to the internet. This card, once scratched gives you a User Name & Password. It has a total limit on it but I didn’t use it all. However,I still had some annoying issues with it, in that it would drop out soon after you stopped using it and re-establishing the link wasn’t always easy as you couldn’t get any internet access to sign on again on the basic HiPort non scratch card connection at times of high demand.
I have an early iPhone and I would go to my settings - Wi-Fi and re-establish the basic HiPort link. Then using my google browser I searched for the ‘www.hiport.net’ given on the scratch card. I clicked on the first option and you get a picture of someone’s hand on a keyboard plus other pics. – Scroll over to the right of that page where you will see a link to sign in as you did originally. RE input your ‘User Name & Password from the scratch card and you are back in business.
The above sounds difficult but it soon becomes second nature. Hope it works for you!!
The staff are generally excellent. The waiting staff are friendly and very polite and efficient. Some made time for a bit of fun but always watching to see what you needed and asked if your meal was ok. The public rooms were very grand but not in the least bit uncomfortable or unwelcoming. The food was very good with a very extensive breakfast buffet and good choice for the few evening meals we had there as part of our package. Drinks in the bar were quite expensive but there were plenty of places nearby to get something a bit cheaper if you wished. This is one of the best hotels I have stayed at in a wonderful location only 8 minutes walk from the very pretty and interesting town.
The gardens, outside pool area and bar were excellent as was the indoor pools, gym and other facilities.
My Tripadvisor restaurant shortlist for eating gave me: Mama Mis, Caffe Torino, Taverna Del Pappagello and La Botte, Also the best Ice Cream Riva Est SNC Di.

HOWEVER, retain a good record of what you buy and what the cost is against your account! I have a very simple but easy to use account App on my phone called ‘Money Monitor’ which I use for all holidays. This comes in very useful when you want to settle your bill at the end of your stay. On my last morning I collected a copy off my bill and it was 21 Euros more than I expected. I asked to see the slip for that amount and it clearly was not my signature. The receptionist apologised and redid my bill less the 21 Euros. We then got our packing done and assembled with the other members of our group ready to board our coach to get to our next train on the journey home. The coach was just about to leave and our group leader quietly asked me to get off the coach as there was a dispute over my bill. On arrival at reception I was met with the earlier receptionist and one of the waitresses who serve in the bar. She strongly stated that I had had the drinks making up the 21 Euros. I said no I hadn’t and my signature was not on that slip and I showed my signature on my card and pointed to my signature on other slips. She ran through the drinks that I had the previous evening, 30th June and I said yes I had had those drinks last night. But not only was it not my signature the slip but it was dated for the 26th June. Very reluctantly, it was I think, accepted I hadn’t underpaid. Our group leader stated it was the hotels mistake. I was very annoyed and embarrassed as all the others waiting on our coach must have felt I had not paid my bill!!
I left felling very sad that my stay at that hotel was spoilt by that issue.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
Durham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Regina Palace for a week in early June as part of a tour group. I have stayed in hotels as part of a tour group before and my past experience has been that we are usually given the worst rooms in the hotel. I can only think that the Regina Palace mustn't have any bad rooms! Although small, it was a beautiful room complete with chandelier and a balcony, which is a real treat in Italy. We were at the back of the hotel but had lovely views of the grounds and the hills behind. The staff were excellent. The waiting staff were friendly but super efficient. They always had time for a bit of fun but always watching to see what you needed. The public room were very grand but not in the least bit unrelaxing. The food was good with a very extensive breakfast buffet. Drinks were quite expensive but there were plenty of places nearby to get something a bit cheaper if you wished. This is definitely the best hotel I have stayed at in Italy and in a wonderful location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

This hotel certainly has the Wow factor when you arrive. Very impressive inside and out. The best thing about it is the location - three/four minutes walk to the town centre. Lovely for an after dinner stroll. Our room was spacious, but agree with an earlier comment on the rugs slipping. Care needed. Also bathroom sounds from neighbouring room were rather noticeable. Balconies are very small and WiFi useless. Easier and quicker to go to one of the bars/cafés in the town where it is free and speedy.

Being on a tour the menu selection was limited but most of the time the choice was adequate if unadventurous. The staff, especially the waiters were brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble and they had a great sense of humour.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Staff were so friendly and accommodating, hotel was stunning. The spa is a must see and use all the facilities, it was very relaxing. Breakfast was great a vast array of food. We really enjoyed our stay.

State of Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

A very nice hotel, we got impressed by the opulence, which also hindered us at first. But we had a great time in the outdoor pool area, the soccer field and in the especially the indoor pool. Breakfast was excellent, and so is the location. They had a Ferraris display on the front lawn, which the kids loved.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

A wonderful hotel evoking the Belle Epoque. This hotel is so impressive people take photographs of it.
The size of the hotel might not be to everyone's taste, conventions and meetings abound, however the facilities and location are second to none.

Room Tip: It has to be a room with a lake view
Ranco, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Really nice hotel. Classic lake hotel. The bar is very nice and as is the pool and facilities. My only problem was the noise the cleaners made. Every door is slammed! And when the room above mine was being cleaned then I thought they would come through the ceiling. A few more reception staff would also help, as there are often long lines of people waiting. Rooms in the newer wing at the back are nice, although the showers can leak water onto the floors, flooding the bathroom.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Regina Palace? Share your experiences!